Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0

Default Legacy Ornamental mill

I was wondering what you folks think of the legacy ornamental mill?
    It seems like it does a lot but how bad is the learning curve. Do the gears at the end of the machine strip out? IS IT A HUNK OF JUNK?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Gooday. I doubt very much that there would be a Legacy mill in Australia.

I myself have only seen them at their website.

There is one in Perth somewhere according to legacy folk. I have looked in depth at this bit of gear and it is anything but junk. Well made, good choice of materials, great support. Talk to Bart at any US wood show. Worth the look, and not dear.
    Jacko

hi guys,

I have been looking at this too. I am interested in rigging up something very similar over my Vicmarc VL300 - using the headstock and tailstock of the lathe to hold the work, but mounting a movable sliding plate over the top holding a 3hp plunge router I have.
    Can't decide if I want to buy some router lathe setup and modify it to mount over the lathe (resting on the bed of the lathe and suspending the router over the top of the work), or fabricate all from scratch.

Not sure how I would organise gearing to drive x-axis movement while rotating piece.

Has anyone seen this done before? suggestions as to how I would source parts or ready-made item for this purpose?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Wink Legacy Ornamental Mill

Hi,
    This is a great product, there are some 30 plus machines in the UK including four with wood turners, and one of those turners is an internationally known one.

Why do I know well because I import these machines into the UK through my company Wood Workers Workshop www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk .

The learning curve is not that step, you can be up and running within 4 hours, three of those spent reading the manual and assembling it.

There is a promotional DVD that gives a good feel for the product plus a dual DVD for training. The biggest problem you will have is accepting the cost of shipping when added to the US $ price plus import duty and local taxes.

In the UK sales have been split equally between the Model 900 and I would suggest you add the dust collection system, the stand is a good idea but not essential and a set of Magnate cutters. It will handle 48" between centers and 9 " in diameter and you need a good router, DW625 is quite suitable, if you want to even a Triton. The Model 1200 comes complete with stand, dust collection etc, costs more but goes 72" between centers and the big benefit is the ability to turn a handle to adjust the rise and fall at both the tailstock & head stock ends.

I started with the Model 800 as my demo machine, this was the forerunner of the Model 900 which I then changed too, but have since changed up to the Model 1200.

I do recommend that you fit an Xtreme Xtension from Router Technologies as that gives you an extra 1¼" reach on the cutters and a quick release collett. I can swap router bits in 30 seconds with just a 5/32 Allen Key.

If you want more details including an article written by Ron Fox, the UK router guru, who tested the Model 900 late last year then email me and I will forward it to you. [email protected]

It is not just a machine for making barley twists it is a very versatile machine.

Default Not in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by
    Gooday. I doubt very much that there would be a Legacy mill in Australia.

I myself have only seen them at their website.
    You would be wrong if you placed a bet. I took one to Coffs Harbour a few years back. I do not have a car there and have a small shop in the one car garage. I had one here at my shop and found one in a second hand store that was a steal at $100 complete. They are very well made and easy to learn. I have fun making rope twist both right and left. I make clocks and little pipe organs when I am in Coffs. A great way to spend the evening. Bukster organs and others are easy and fun to make. I can make one while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhockings
    hi guys,

I have been looking at this too. I am interested in rigging up something very similar over my Vicmarc VL300 - using the headstock and tailstock of the lathe to hold the work, but mounting a movable sliding plate over the top holding a 3hp plunge router I have.
    Can't decide if I want to buy some router lathe setup and modify it to mount over the lathe (resting on the bed of the lathe and suspending the router over the top of the work), or fabricate all from scratch.

Not sure how I would organise gearing to drive x-axis movement while rotating piece.

Has anyone seen this done before? suggestions as to how I would source parts or ready-made item for this purpose?

Thanks for your help.

Ian
    Think I'd rather hook the router up to the lathe via a computer and do cnc woodturning, a whole new world would open up.

Look at rodm's machine and imagine it setup over a lathe.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Moonta Bay in the Copper Triangle, S. Australia

The Legacy Mill seems to be a great idea, twisting the night away sounds like a great idea as well.

Can we ever see a Bukster organ please.

Buzza.

yeah they look really cool. This one is around 800 US plus shipping..<?>

http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=126

"I am brother to dragons, companion to owls"

I think infact I'm sure Professional Woodworking Supplies are the Australian Distributor. Suggest you call Grahame and confirm, as I've found him very helpfull.

Default We are the Legacy distributor here....

Quote Originally Posted by waikune View Post
    I think infact I'm sure Professional Woodworking Supplies are the Australian Distributor. Suggest you call Grahame and confirm, as I've found him very helpfull.
    We have been appointed the Legacy Distributor here in Oz and NZ, will take a little while to get stock in place but we have the Legacy Promotional DVD if anyone is interested in a copy. If you get past the grossly ornate work that these can do and think of the features that are applicable to our more contempory styles they're sure to appeal. The interesting thing is that there are many variants from the practical REVO through to the bigger commercial machines.

PM us if you'd like a DVD.

Regards

The Woodworker

i got the DVD, thanks for sending that out mate, certainly looks like a very cool bunch of machines...good prices for what you get..do you have the exact australian prices for the Revo and the 900 ? I think the DVD has USD.

Unfortunatley SWMBO and she who approves purchases fell asleep while i watched each section the DVD at least 3 times...but there was agreement the machines would enhance my woodwork considerbaly so we will see how it goes..

cheeeeers
    john
    "I am brother to dragons, companion to owls"

Default Working on it now..

Hi all,

We're working on the pricing at the moment, freight is the key!! They're solid gear and I'm getting our forwarders to work out some freight options.

I'n the meantime, we're happy to discuss prices and requirements.

Regards

The Woodworker

Sears Stores carry a Craftman that is supposed to be like it but like most of Sears stuff--LOW grade. I've seen quite a few at the Woodworker's shows & wish I had time for one. Would be a lot of fun. They are very well made. The wife has a cousin that has one of the BIG ones & does some large fantastic work on it. It's gotta be good to go thru what he puts it thru. I think you'd have to smack the sprocket/gears pretty hard with a big object to hurt them. Ha. Now ya gotta figure which one ya wanna buy. Heck, just go mid size.

This has to hold the record for the slowest thread so far! 3 years to fill just one page with posts each year along the way - coooool!!!!
    Updated 8th of February 2024