Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What Is The Meaning Of These Words In English?

Can anybody tell me if these words are correct in english and their proper definition and use (specifically in woodwork),
    by the way thank you for your welcome!
    Maria.
    1)ring shake
    2)to carve
    3)to pickle
    4)warping or bending (must be something wrong with the piece of wood I suppose)
    5)milling cutter
    Even if you can help me with only one definition I will definitely appreciate it!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Have you tried looking for these terms in a search engine (google for example - www.google.com)?

I did a search for "ring shake", and found

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot137.shtml

I'm sure you'll be able to answer many of your questions yourself.

Cheers,
    Andrew

If you can get any good english carpentry text is should give you discriptions of these & similar phrases & pictures.

they are in fact correct english phrases but its how to use them.

A SHAKE in any timber is a piece of timber within a board that is partly attached and partly not, fixed in the location where it grew.
    It is a flaw in timber nad badly effects the strength & stability of the timber.

a ring shake is as above but displays a seperation arround a large portion of a growth ring.

I have not seen it described It is usualy explained with a picture as are most timber flaws.

Andrew, I'm a little surprised in reading your answer.

Here we have a person wishing to learn about our language and you give her the cold sholder.

Not very gentlemanly of you mate.

Lets learn her right.

Shakes are splits that occur in the structure of wood due to growth defects or shrinkage stresses. Cup or ring shakes are splits that open betwen the annual growth rings. Shakes are also used in Mc Donald circles to mean whipped milk with a little ice cream and flavouring. Anybody that has uncontrolable movement or shivering is said to shake, or have the shakes.

Carving is the art of shaping wood with chisels knives and similar tools to produce a decorative shape. Have a look at messages and pics in the carving section of this list.

Pickle, well we have some connotations here. Someone who is inebriated, in polite terms is said to be "pickled" less polite company would just say "Fred's " and if he wasn't drunk, it would mean that Fred was unhappy.

If you were talking about something edible a pickle is a vegetable such as an onion preserved in vinegar, brine or similar liquid. It could also be the liquid when used as a spiced marinade.

Metal manufacturers immerse metal in acid to remove mill scale ie they dip the metal in hot acid to pickle it . Actually I'm in a bit of a pickle about a wood related meaning.

Warping or bending opens a few avenues that would lead to political incorrectness.

Warping or bowing is what you are looking for. The term is applied to a piece of timber that was originally machined straight , but is no longer straight. This is usually because of inproper stacking. Some timbers do it for fun, just to frustrate the wood worker. Many Australian hardwoods, notably Red Gum, have internal stresses built up in them. When you machine them the stresses are able to relieve themselves by bowing the machined piece.

A Milling cutter is a cutting tool used in a milling machine usually to machine metal. This one is definitely one you should do a search to find. You could go to http://www.appliedresolution.com.au , click on adept CIM Centre and download the mill demonsrtation to see a cutter in use.

Finally. English is a language that has been adapted by different countries for their own use. We all understand the inferences of our fellow English speakers but to a "foreign language" speaker trying to learn English as a foreign language, it must be really frustrating.

Suggest you get hold of a movie titled "The're a wierd mob" http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223160 is one source, and have a laugh at us Aussies taking the mickey out of one of your countrymen who immigrated to Aus in the mid 60's

Regards.

Glenn
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com

I think 1) & 2) are covered
    3) To pickle would mean to soak the wood in something. Possibly in copper crome arsinate solution or anything else.
    4) Warping or bending. Warping is where a board curves across the grain also called cupping.
    Bending is where a curve is pushed into a board along the grain. It is usually steamed or soaked first.
    A bent piece of wood is not straight.
    The correct terminology for a plank that is curved when viewed along its edge (the thinest side) is "bowed" or has a bow in it.
    If the curve is viewed when looking down the face ( the wider side) it is said to have "spring". If the plank has a square section then bow and spring are the same thing.

Hope that helps Glenn

Maria

It is obvious from your original message that your command of written English is excellent. You will, therefore, understand that English is a complex language with a great many ambigious and confusing meanings. Words have different meanings in different contexts.

If you can quote the specific text where you have read the words and phrases you mention, we will probably be able to give you more accurate translations.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Col

G'day Maria

3) to pickle: The term pickle refers to a finish that was heavily used during the 1930's. Often refered to as pickled pine there are many techniques for doing the pickling, but the overall effect is to make the timber look aged and supposedly luxurious.

The look of the finish was widely varied from silver grey on a brown background to faint green on an ashen background. The process was originally done with nitric acid or a special caustic wash and was quite dangerous to your health. After WWII paint companies brought out a pickling paint which was a bit of a failure and withdrawn from the market.

Today there are many different ways of achieving the efect most involve at least 4 or 5 processes here is one:
    If the wood is light apply a dark stain, then a coat of grey flat paint is applied and wiped off with hessian leaving traces behind. When it is dry the surface is given a couple of coats of a watered down white lacquer and covered with beeswax. Lastly a rotenstone and wax mix is rubbed on to give a look of age and fake dust.

This is one of dozens of variations, all designed to give an aged look. Pickling was traditionally done on pine but can also be done on a variety of other timbers including oak and plywood which can make very striking panels for walls etd.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.