Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: First canoe

Default First canoe

Here are some very bad quality pics (mobile phone) of my first canoe build. It's coming along slowly as my time is limited but have made quite a bit of progress lately and will have some more pics very soon. All made out of ply and second hand stuff thats was laying around. I have no experience in this field so Feel free to ad any suggestions or advice, I will not be offended,can only take pics with mobile because we just dont have a digi camera.
    BW.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Woodworker View Post
    Here are some very bad quality pics (mobile phone) of my first canoe build. It's coming along slowly as my time is limited but have made quite a bit of progress lately and will have some more pics very soon. All made out of ply and second hand stuff thats was laying around. I have no experience in this field so Feel free to ad any suggestions or advice, I will not be offended,can only take pics with mobile because we just dont have a digi camera.
    BW.
    Almost there just a few little things to finish and I can float her.
    Can someone please tell me if I can put exterior Clear Coat over paint to protect it or do i need something more specific?
    Thanks.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Almost there just a few little things to finish and I can float her.
    Can someone please tell me if I can put exterior Clear Coat over paint to protect it or do i need something more specific?
    Thanks.
    Looking good mate.

Whatever your final coat, coat the timber with epoxy first. Three (at least) coats, laid on with a roller, each coat going on while the previous one is still tacky. It sounds like a lot of epoxy but with a foam roller you'd be surprised at how economical it is. The pay off is that your top coat will last many years longer.

The clear varnish I've used is Bondal Marine (from the hardware store). It used to be cheap which is why I used it on my early experiments. It's now expensive though Sixpence will be getting good stuff anyway. The thing is, it's tough and has lasted well.

For paint I usually use an exterior enamel. Redback's colour was carefully chosen by someone else who had it mixed, didn't like it and so it wound up on the cheap paint stand at Bunnies and I got it for less than half price

On the other hand, Sixpence has been painted with ultra expensive two pack paint.

I've got a Mouseboat that was painted three years ago with el cheapo, exterior, water based paint. It was crap when it went on and still is ... but the only damage to the paint has been from rocks scraping the hull

Really, you can use whatever you want. If the boat lives in the water or is out in the sunlight all the time, you'll do better buying a better paint. If it lives in the shed and is washed after every trip, it'll last really well.

But, the big secret is in spending the dosh to epoxy coat the timber first (and yes, if you go back into the archives, you'll find I used to hold the alternative view - I've been converted).

The other wee secret is that with the price of paint, there isn't a hell of a lot between cheap and really good stuff, and I really object to forking out a truck load of money for something I know is inferior (different if the muck's cheap). Exterior enamels do work very well but are very soft for a long time. For varnishes, for a boat you're in love with, buy Marine, but the hardware store 'marine' varnishes are fine for 'less important craft'.

Richard

Default No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    Looking good mate.

Whatever your final coat, coat the timber with epoxy first. Three (at least) coats, laid on with a roller, each coat going on while the previous one is still tacky. It sounds like a lot of epoxy but with a foam roller you'd be surprised at how economical it is. The pay off is that your top coat will last many years longer.

The clear varnish I've used is Bondal Marine (from the hardware store). It used to be cheap which is why I used it on my early experiments. It's now expensive though Sixpence will be getting good stuff anyway. The thing is, it's tough and has lasted well.

For paint I usually use an exterior enamel. Redback's colour was carefully chosen by someone else who had it mixed, didn't like it and so it wound up on the cheap paint stand at Bunnies and I got it for less than half price

On the other hand, Sixpence has been painted with ultra expensive two pack paint.

I've got a Mouseboat that was painted three years ago with el cheapo, exterior, water based paint. It was crap when it went on and still is ... but the only damage to the paint has been from rocks scraping the hull

Really, you can use whatever you want. If the boat lives in the water or is out in the sunlight all the time, you'll do better buying a better paint. If it lives in the shed and is washed after every trip, it'll last really well.

But, the big secret is in spending the dosh to epoxy coat the timber first (and yes, if you go back into the archives, you'll find I used to hold the alternative view - I've been converted).

The other wee secret is that with the price of paint, there isn't a hell of a lot between cheap and really good stuff, and I really object to forking out a truck load of money for something I know is inferior (different if the muck's cheap). Exterior enamels do work very well but are very soft for a long time. For varnishes, for a boat you're in love with, buy Marine, but the hardware store 'marine' varnishes are fine for 'less important craft'.

Richard
    Thaks Daddles, I did take your advice earlier in the piece and only covered the joins so It's too late now I did coat it in good quality exterior paint, I am a carpenter and work along side painters so i'm pretty lucky.She will be washed after use and kept in the shed. It's my first build so this kind of thing is not critical, if i get just a little bit of enjoyment out of her then I'll be satisfied.
    Thanks for the help along the way mate.
    BW.

Thaks Daddles, I did take your advice earlier in the piece and only covered the joins so It's too late now I did coat it in good quality exterior paint, I am a carpenter and work along side painters so i'm pretty lucky.She will be washed after use and kept in the shed. It's my first build so this kind of thing is not critical, if i get just a little bit of enjoyment out of her then I'll be satisfied.
    Thanks for the help along the way mate.
    BW.
    I reckon you'll have no trouble at all, & get more enjoyment per dollar out of her than most boat-owners will ever do. Especially based out of Armidale with all the northern rivers around you. Plonked my kayak in the Gwydir at Bingara the other month & paddled upstream for a bit.

Magic. Would have stayed a day or two except I was on a timetable.

cheers
    Alan J

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b.o.a.t. View Post
    I reckon you'll have no trouble at all, & get more enjoyment per dollar out of her than most boat-owners will ever do. Especially based out of Armidale with all the northern rivers around you. Plonked my kayak in the Gwydir at Bingara the other month & paddled upstream for a bit.

Magic. Would have stayed a day or two except I was on a timetable.

cheers
    Alan J
    Thanks for the words Alan....You know what, I have some friends in Bingara so I might even do that my self, great fishing there. How long could/did you travel on the Gwydir?
    BW.

Looks good BW. What plan did you use for the build, and what was the outlay, roughly?

Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Thanks for the words Alan....You know what, I have some friends in Bingara so I might even do that my self, great fishing there. How long could/did you travel on the Gwydir?
    BW.

G'day BW
    I'll try to insert a Google map Link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.063858&z=14

In case that doesn't work, I put in from the reserve on the north bank near the bridge, & had an easy paddle about 4 km upstream.
    Could have gone a lot further in both directions - just how far I have no idea. Google overheads suggest 2/3 of the way to Copeton Dam with occasional portages around weirs & etc - around 40km or so.

I chose not to look down-stream at all - too much like hard work coming back up. My sister & some friends paddled from Pallamallawah to Moree 20 yrs ago or so.

Have you glassed the bottom of your boat at all ? I'm thinking abrasion resistance to rocks.
    Seemed to be a lot of them in that bit of the Gwydir...
    cheers
    AJ

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b.o.a.t. View Post
    G'day BW
    I'll try to insert a Google map Link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.063858&z=14

In case that doesn't work, I put in from the reserve on the north bank near the bridge, & had an easy paddle about 4 km upstream.
    Could have gone a lot further in both directions - just how far I have no idea. Google overheads suggest 2/3 of the way to Copeton Dam with occasional portages around weirs & etc - around 40km or so.

I chose not to look down-stream at all - too much like hard work coming back up. My sister & some friends paddled from Pallamallawah to Moree 20 yrs ago or so.

Have you glassed the bottom of your boat at all ? I'm thinking abrasion resistance to rocks.
    Seemed to be a lot of them in that bit of the Gwydir...
    cheers
    AJ
    Thanks for the info B.

Looks good BW. What plan did you use for the build, and what was the outlay, roughly?

Cheers
    Mate, got the plans off the net, paid about $4.00 American then found them for freeUsed mostly second hand materials so probably cost me about $80.00 for materials. I have the details somewhere if you want them, I deviated a lot from the plans anyway, just used them as a guide.
    BW.

G'dat BW,

Nice job mate. Your pirogue looks great. These boats are remarkably good paddle craft and I just don't understand why they are not more popular here.

Andy, There are a heap of very good free and/or very cheap pirogue plans available. Generaly, two sheets of ply and some timber for the gunwhales etc is all that is required plus a little epoxy and cloth.

Some links, (in no particular order)

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/PirogueCompare.php

I have built boats from the first and third links and can attest to the quality and completeness of the drawings and build instructions. They are clear, concise and easy to follow and both have immense online support and help during your build, should you encounter any problems.