Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile My new article about MIK's Beth sailing canoe

Hi all!

There is my new article about Michael Storer's sailing canoe Beth (in Polish - sorry, but it's for Polish readers especially):

http://www.port21.pl/technika/article_1676.html

Enjoy!!!
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman
    http://robhosailor.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Robert Hoffman - thankyou from the bottom of my heart!

Michael

Ha ha .. I like the part where you talk about Michael walking with a limp and sounding like a pirate. Nice write up.

Should the non Polish speaking subject of the above comment be worried about anything else in the article???

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor View Post
    Ha ha .. I like the part where you talk about Michael walking with a limp and sounding like a pirate. Nice write up.
    I can't see this part on my article... It was a joke?

English summary of my article:
    There is very short story about sailing canoes evolution (without outrigger canoes). There is about 20th century period of Uffa Fox successful designing and sailing on his canoes Valiant, East Anglian and Brynhild and beginning of IC10sqm class. There is about two general ways of evolution - light (open and decked) sailing canoes and haevier canoe yawls from McGregors canoe and famous Ethel canoe yawl.
    At present there is many of kinds and types of sailing canoes and kayaks on internet and waters...
    About sailing canoe advantages: light, able to amateur building, easy to storage in small garage, easy to cartopping, easy to singlehanded launching and beaching...
    There is about Beth: My brother was interested in her and purchased plans few years ago. Beth is very interesting boat for her differences from conventional sailing canoes - simple and light building from few panels of marine plywood (her shapes are a bit similar to American 19th century sharpies and Phil Bolger designs). Very simple and quick building method a bit similar to P.Bolger and J.Michalak 'instant boats' designs. Whenever she is very elegant (good looking) and speedy boat. She planning similar to Laser but is a bit slow of this one, but she is more gently in gybying. Traditional balanced lug rig is probably a bit less efficient than modern but Michael shows on his website methods of regulations traditional sails for efficiency. Beth has no compromisses for hydrodynamics - she has efficient deep daggerboard and rudder. In my opinion deep daggerboard is probably disadvantage for shallow waters but Michael advice to make another, shallow dagger board for shallows and he anticipate than efficiency in close to wind performances will be worse a bit.
    In recapitulation: Beth is suitable boat for people who expect speed and exciting daysailing during weekend, easy to storage, cartopping, beaching and launching and who expect untypical, a bit "nostalgic" look.

Sorry if my English is not good...
    Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Oh rats, you've translated it. I was going to tell Mik your article went on at great length about the dreaded 'Chinese Fried Rice incident' (which didn't happen but I reckon I could have made it into a good story )

Richard

Thankyou Robert!!!!

I did not see any mention of the parrot or the pirate accent!!!!

I hope you realised I was joking about being worried about the contents!!!

But it is really nice to see that you have related the long history of the sailing canoes.

Because without that history there would be no BETH!!!

Thankyou very much!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Thankyou Robert!!!!

I did not see any mention of the parrot or the pirate accent!!!!

I hope you realised I was joking about being worried about the contents!!!

But it is really nice to see that you have related the long history of the sailing canoes.

Because without that history there would be no BETH!!!

Thankyou very much!
    Michael!
    You are welcome!

Your BETH is my favourite boat (you know!) and I intend to build her for her good look, performances, storage advantages, cartopping advantages, singlehanded launching and beaching possibility and inexpensive methods of building.

I'm probably to weak for sailing in all wind conditions, but I except she will be great for weekend day sailing on tiny lakes near my house and small and large lakes on Mazura Region and on Bay of Puck (Zatoka Pucka) - shallow part of Bay of Gdansk during my summer holidays too.

I want to own real small sea cruising boat but my present possibilities are nearest small cartopping boat - my present choice is BETH.

Aloha!
    Robert Hoffman