Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Problem with Triton Router TRA001 Switch

I have reported before about a problem with the switch on my TRA001 Router, which was fixed under warranty. The repairer at the time stated that he saw a lot of these Triton Routers with switch problems.

Well a couple of days ago I tried to switch the router on, after doing a bit of work with it the previous day, and it wouldn't switch on. The light was on but nobody was home!

Today I decided I would investigate further, as it is well out of warranty now, and disassembled part of the router to get at the switch. Found that electrons were entering the switch on one end, but not coming out the other end.

In an effort to avoid the hassle of ordering spare parts through Bunnings (anything is better than going through that farce!), I decided to remove the switch from the router to see whether I could find out what was wrong. It is a fairly standard double pole switch. and it turned out is was switching one pole but not the other. Didn't really want to disassemble the switch, suspected dust was causing the problem. so blew it out with the air gun and then squirted liberal amounts of WD40 into it, then blowing out with air again. Hey presto we were now switching 2 poles again!

Decided that since I had half the router apart anyway, I would take it all apart and clean it out, following RayInTheUK's very good instructions and photos.

Put it all together again and it now performs as advertised.

Quite concerning how much dust gets in to the Triton Router, have had my Makita 3600BR apart and there is almost no dust in there.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts this time.

At least it only cost me a bit of time.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I too had the same problem about a year ago...blew out the dust with the compressor and Air Blower...haven't had any trouble since. I don't have the time or patience to take it apart..but if blow the dust out occasionally is all I have to do...I'll can live with that.

Hi guys,
    This is one I mentioned quite a way back, and I did take the switch apart - it was full of dust and pretty much a writeoff (I had done a lot of MDF routing at the time). I got a replacement switch from Jaycar (or Dick Smith) for $5, and it hasn't stopped since.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Smile Triton Router Switch Problem

Are you still around Stu?

I was routing yesterday - got 10% through the job and the switch failed again - the router just stopped. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I just kept switching on and off and it sparked a bit and then worked. This time I persevered for ages and then at last drowned it in RP47 spray - and it is going again. I tried to get the switch out of the unit, but even though the screws were out I couldn't get the side housing containing the switch away from the unit - any clues? If you have had yours out, how did you do it?

Regards,

Bob J
    "We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems."
    Lee Iacocca