Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Simple Project, neophite, where to start?

I am sure once I learn more I will do more, but for now I have a very simple, compared to what I see here. I just want to make a nice Tonearm Rest for my turntable. I have a good idea what I want it to look like.

It doesn't need that flare on the bottom and doesn't need to adjust I will make the right dimension. What I have now is a cheap little piece of plastic that is un becoming to the table although OEM. My thought is to run the plastic piece like above down through the wood an attach to the table as it does no, somehow use an adhesive, so the arm it self looks good but held securely by the original plastic arm rest. It doesn't seem hard, but I don't even know what tools to use. Although I thought one of those small drumel lathes would give it some character without a lot of skill.

I don't have a server so to see the table and present tonearm rest use the link below.
    http://www.box.net/shared/eiitw6w0k8

Thanks for the help,
    Barry

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Of course like all simple projects they escalate quickly. I am feeling cocky now and think you can make the whole thing out of wood without the plastic.

Which means the wood has to be somewhat pliable for the piece to hold the tonearm tight. I found this place that sells exotic wood and some really look great. I assume the project jumps 10 fold in skill level when going from a soft pine to one of these harder woods. It also means you need to use a lathe to make it the right shape rather than just buying a dowel. I would like to stay in the Walnutish color to match the table, it isn't walnut but is what they call AR walnut finish. Any suggestions on wood that you might find appropriate? What would be a good blade if turning it with a Drumel lathe? I will have further question later on how to get some of the detail I would like it to have.

May be this is not the place for my question and your answer is go buy a book, which I will do when I get out to do so. I did watch some of the videos on U-Tube and I learned a lot quickly. If you can recommend one that is more specific to my kind of project and size, that would be nice.

Thanks,
    Barry

sorry not my field of expertise ask a turner they know everything
    smile and the world will smile with you