Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default bandsaw stand with wheels

I have recently purchased a second hand rsbs12 record band saw which has a metal frame stand.
    I would like tobe able to move the saw around my workshop(storage) can any member direct me to any items on this subject or give any advice.

woody u.k.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi woody

several Aussie machinery suppliers offer kits consisting of metal corner brackets and wheels that you build up into a base of the size you need by cutting and fitting timber or metal rails between the corner brackets. Chances are that a similar thing would be available from machinery houses in UK.

cheers

Colin

Particularly if it's an open frame stand, rip the stand off and build a box out of MDF for storing blades etc and stick some 75mm castors under it and bolt the bandsaw on top. Works a treat, it's cheap, and extra storage is never a bad thing.
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/

Just like to show off my new small bandsaw. It`s the smallest of the German made Elektra Beckum machines, BAS250G. I`ve made a mobile stand for it from 1 1/2" aluminium angle iron. Good quality ballrace wheels are bolted on the bottom, they cost me £8 each. This is the third Elektra Beckum machine I own and I purchased this one to replace my 20 year old three wheeler that gave up the ghost. For a small machine, ( this has 4" depth of cut ), it`s a heavy machine, weighs in at 33 kilos. I don`t fancy lugging that onto my bench every time I want to use it.
    Bob Deacon

And here`s the mobile bas made for it. I might build it into a cabinet at a later date.
    Bob Deacon

Hi Bob
    Good work on the aluminium stand. It always pays to buy good quality. (The wheels I mean)

What is that thing with the black handle underneath the saw?
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Hello Bob,
    The thing on the stand is my guitar makers repair vice. This tool was purchased from Stewart Macdonalds Guitar Shop Supply in the USA. It`s useful for instrument makers because the jaws are moveable, ( locked by tightening a bolt ), so you can grip the taper of a guitar neck etc. Here`s a picture of it in use. It can also be swivelled and locked.
    Bob Deacon

Message to Bobz.

My wife won't let me have my bandsaw in the living room on the carpet, she says it creates to much sawdust!!

By the way my model bandsaw is the Record it seems to have all the same fittings and set up as yours but is a different colour.

I hope your castors have got brakes, if you put on a 3mtr. length of 4x4 and start pushing things might get interesting. You could finish up in Devon.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Hello jow104,
    I won`t be cutting any heavy stuff on this bandsaw. It will be permantly installed with 1/4" blades only for cutting instrument parts like sound boards, kerfed linings etc. I have a larger bandsaw, an Elu 3401, sometimes badged as a Dewalt, which has a 5/8" x 3tpi blade permantly installed for resawing jobs. I purchase my blades from Axminster Power Tools as I`ve had very good results with the blades they supply. Your machine has had good reviews in the woodworking mags. How are you getting on with it ?
    Bob Deacon

Hello Bobz,
    I purchased the record rpbs 12 second hand and after replacing the thrust rachet gearing (plastic) on the topside of table I have had good results resawing paper thin slices off of 6" timber. Last week I put a 3 mtr length of 4x4 through, I needed 8 lengths of 2x1 for a garden project and was pleased with the outcome. The timber 4x4 balanced on the table well with support available at the far end approx 3ft from the bandsaw table. The bandsaw just needs calibrating before cutting up timber to ensure the fence is set to the correct angle and cuts are then satisfactory.

By the way I hand made a Spanish guitar about 34 years ago but unfortunately the head with the winding mechanism has split along the grain . I have never succumbed to making another!!
    woody U.K.