Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hoop Pine Marine Ply?

G'day guys,

I just got off the phone to Australian Wood Panels, attempting to buy some more 4mm Gaboon marine ply. Seems they have been bought out by a Malaysian mob and they no longer sell gaboon. To say I am livid would be a gross understatement.

They are now selling their own product, something they refer to as Marine Plywood Hardwood A bond A finish both sides. It weighs somewhere between 7 and 8 kgs per sheet which seems bloody heavy to me.

There is another supplier who has a few sheets of gaboon left but his prices are way dearer than I was expecting to pay.

My questions are these.

Has anybody here used the hoop pine marine ply to build a kayak or canoe?

How does it compare with Gaboon?

I freaking HATE this. Here was I singing AWP's praises loud and long and just out of the blue everything changes. The cost of ply to feed my obsession has just more than doubled (if I can even get it) and goodness only knows how I will get the bloody stuff here.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hairymick View Post
    G'day guys,

I just got off the phone to Australian Wood Panels, attempting to buy some more 4mm Gaboon marine ply. Seems they have been bought out by a Malaysian mob and they no longer sell gaboon. To say I am livid would be a gross understatement.

They are now selling their own product, something they refer to as Marine Plywood Hardwood A bond A finish both sides. It weighs somewhere between 7 and 8 kgs per sheet which seems bloody heavy to me.

There is another supplier who has a few sheets of gaboon left but his prices are way dearer than I was expecting to pay.

My questions are these.

Has anybody here used the hoop pine marine ply to build a kayak or canoe?

How does it compare with Gaboon?

I freaking HATE this. Here was I singing AWP's praises loud and long and just out of the blue everything changes. The cost of ply to feed my obsession has just more than doubled (if I can even get it) and goodness only knows how I will get the bloody stuff here.
    I would contact Boatcraft Pacific in Queensland and see what they can do for you in the way of Gaboon, its been a couple of years, but I got it delivered to country victoria in 3 days.

As for the comparsion between Gaboon and Hoop, I'm not sure, but weight would be the killer I guess.

The good quality Gaboon you used to get years ago, sadly you can't anymore, it seems to all come from China, but its still reasonable I guess in the grand scheme of things.

Regards

Matt

Default Gaboon

Try Sharps Plywood they have a branch on the sunshine coast
    The greater danger to most of us is not that we aim too high and miss it, but that we aim too low and reach it.

Regards Lewy

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Hoop's good stuff. It used to be the Hoop was 2/3 the price but Gaboon was 2/3 the weight.

I don't know how the modern gaboon rates for quality. It has been very variable over the years - the stuff I got was rubbish and turned me off it for a long time, but I've been repeatedly and reliably informed that my bias was unnecessary.

Richard

Thanks a lot guys,

I have just spoken with Scott of Boatcraft Pacific. Very Helpful bloke

He has no Gaboon that is up to their standard but has convinced me that their Pac Maple is very close to the same weight as Gaboon, and is very good quality. Have ordered a few sheets and will advise what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    Hoop's good stuff. It used to be the Hoop was 2/3 the price but Gaboon was 2/3 the weight.

I don't know how the modern gaboon rates for quality. It has been very variable over the years - the stuff I got was rubbish and turned me off it for a long time, but I've been repeatedly and reliably informed that my bias was unnecessary.

Richard
    Not completely unnecessary - some of the gaboon that is floating around at the moment IS very poor quality.

Most reputable suppliers will replace badly flawed sheets quickly and at no cost.

But I would always ask to make sure that they will when ordering. This also indicates to them that you are potentially fussy so they will take better care.

A few years ago Gaboon used to be a beautiful flawless level of quality. But with the influx of cheaper chinese made plywood (people building boats always want to pay bottom dollar - right!? - we create the market we deserve in some ways) the quality goes from quite good to very poor indeed.

However - again - most reputable suppliers will filter out the bad stuff unless they don't spot it or it goes out by mistake.

Best wishes
    Michael

Supplies around Vic still seem to be impossible, but I spoke to a reliable supplier in Seaford who mentioned that there were moves for a good marine ply to be manufactured in Australia... Has anyone heard about this?

In the meantime I am using some British standard type stuff (Malaysian wood, I think) which has been of very good quality, but a bit heavier. ( I also wonder about sustainability of production) When I mentioned the weight to the designer of the boat he said it would only amount to about 30kg extra. He said for an 18 footer, if that worries me I should just take a smaller esky!

The boat pictured is from the Darwin Museum, one confiscated in Australian waters. Those builders don't worry too much about British standards but manage sailing feats I will never try...The plywood bulkheads in the other pic are what I'm using

Quote Originally Posted by rob540 View Post
    Supplies around Vic still seem to be impossible, but I spoke to a reliable supplier in Seaford who mentioned that there were moves for a good marine ply to be manufactured in Australia... Has anyone heard about this?
    I have heard a Victorian company called Plyco is importing Gaboon and will be producing marine ply to the same high standard as out AA-A bond hoop ply. I was told small custom runs can be accommodated as well. Should be out soon at about the same price as hoop marine but still lighter - but probably not as light as the earlier BS1088 gaboon.

Someone here will be more up to date than me but I was of the understanding that BS1088 had previously been under review but had not been re-written as standards became European rather than British. Anyone have news of that?

Be wary of anything stamped BS1088. Many overseas companies are stamping it BS1088 in the hope it gives their horrid product some credibility. If you do buy some, get a copy of the old BS1088 standard and familiarise yourself with it regarding things like face veneer thickness, core thickness, voids etc and confirm with the supplier that you can return the timber at their cost if it is non compliant. There are some companies here in Australia that will happily tell you "yeah mate it's BS1088 ply" but when you ask them about what that actually means or if their ply meets the standard they haven't got a clue. I doubt any supplier here can actually provide you with a certificate of compliance with BS1088 (I have previously tried a few times).

If you are going to build a boat, and good gaboon is not available, I would spring the extra for hoop marine ply. I'm doing just that on two Oughtred Tirriks I am building at the moment as I didn't want to put my name to a boat made with "iffy" ply.

fwiw

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Spot on...thanks. I can confirm that Plyco do have gaboon in stock and are planning manufacture, having just spoken to someone there. He seemed very helpful. I will report back on the quality when I've seen it.

Hi,

I'll give PlyCo another plug - I've bought gaboon ply off them in 1.5mm to 6mm thicknesses and never had any issues. I've only built kayaks, but haven't had any voids or problems with sheets I got there. They've been happy for me to go through the stacks to get nice looking bits too (not many bad bit, but I'm fussy if varnishing).

They also have hoop pine ply but I haven't looked at it.

Regards,
    Darren

Where do I find Plyco?

Hi,

Plyco is at 178 Grange Rd, Fairfield.

Grange Rd is the extension of Chandler Hwy north of the Eastern Fwy...head straight up, over the train line, and they have 2 sites in a group of trade type shops on your right heading north.

If you go on a weekday you can drop into Aust Fabricating Industries next door for very reasonably priced fiberglass cloth and accessories )

No connection to either company, just a very satisfied customer.

Regards,
    Darren

Thumbs up

Thanks Darren, I'll give them a try.
    Peter