Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Wink Shed ideas please

Hi just found this site and it is great.I live near the sea and have a very rusted garden shed that I am about to demolish. I can build a 3x3 shed without bothering Council and am thinking of having a lean to type built(with a little help from my friends) with skillion roof on to the back of the house where the old one was. It will face east and I was thinking of a sliding glass door (x demolition)on the front to let the light in, is this a good idea? What height would you suggest for the front and what slope would the roof have to be. I am thinking of using some old bricks that I have left over from the house,aprox how many would I need? I am putting down a slab, how big should the slab be and is the 3x3 size inside or outside dimensions and would I need guttering? Colorbond for the roof?
    Any other hints for young players
    Thanks hol

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi and welcome to the forum. 3 X 3 is not really big enough for a functional woodworking shed but if that is all you are able to build then you will have to make do. I know some of the guys here use very small areas and work quite successfully but the general consensus is that the bigger the shed you can get the better and no matter how big it is, it will not be big enough. Having said that anything is better than nothing, I think the idea of a sliding glass door in an area that small is not necessarily a good one as it will take up valuable wall area where you could have shelves maybe or a bench. Regarding the height of the shed, I believe there is a limit to how high it can be without council approval but not sure what the requirements are relating to that.
    I don't think you are required to have guttering on that size roof but you may check that out with your local council and see what their requirements are. It is better to have guttering than not.
    It is also a good idea to have the slab larger than the shed depending on what you want. You could even overlap the shed by about a meter at the front to provide a pathway and slope it away from the shed to prevent water getting in.
    Not sure about the slope on the roof but definitely have it sloping enough to allow water to run off the roof. Yeah, I would go for colourbond on the roof. Looks good and easy to erect.
    I am sure others will have some suggestions for you and they may differ from mine.
    Once again, welcome to the mad house. It's a great place and you will enjoy the experience. Good luck with your shed. Let us see some pictures of your work in progress.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John