Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question I need a metal gate

Hello everyone !

My family moved to Chadstone, Melbourne just around 2 years. Our life became very difficult here because every day we have a lot of unwanted visitors. They just want to sell us something at 7am or they want us to switch from Optus to Telstra at 9pm and I am not talking about different beggars asking for the unbelievable donations to buy drugs or beer.
    So, around 6 months ago we decided to install a metal gate and keep the entrance closed at all time. The problem is that our front yard is on the small hill and the angle is around 20-30 degrees.<o></o>
    I approached two different gate companies in Bentleigh and Springvale. I asked them to send someone to my place to have a quick look at the location and give me a quote. They both demanded a huge deposit first and if they couldn’t do the job, so they would return the money back. It is not the way to run business and I tried to find another gate company. I approached 3 (three !) different gate companies and they indeed sent their people to have a look at my front yard. One the handyman said that it would be impossible to built a gate at all. Two other men agreed to do the job and they took all required pictures and measurements , gave me their quotes and … despaired forever !? <o></o>
    Then I approached another 1-man company and he just look at the pictures of my front yard and gave me an estimated quote 3 times bigger then I had from another company.
    As far as I realize the gate has to be install on the rising hinges. Can anyone know a responsible gate company somewhere around Chadstone which is not scared to do this job ? Believe me that project is very simple and I have no idea why they do not want to do the job. <o></o>
    Thanks<o></o>
    Anatoli<o></o>

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Anatoli,

It sounds like it you wanted to pick the biggest bandits in town then you certainly found them. However, saying that are you being unreasonable about the quote(s)?

You said "Two other men agreed to do the job and they took all required pictures and measurements , gave me their quotes and … despaired forever !?" What do you mean.

<O></O>Then I approached another 1-man company and he just look at the pictures of my front yard and gave me an estimated quote 3 times bigger then I had from another company. What is to say the first one was too cheap?

Personally I think you are being unreasonable not expecting to pay a deposit, after all he doesn't know you are and you could pull out after he has spent the time (and money) making your gate(s) - so it cuts both ways!!. However, I wouldn't give him more than $50 deposit without a quote sheet with his company details (and his signature) on the sheet. You could always ask a neighbour (or family/friends) who may have had some similar work done recently and were happy with it - nothing better than a recommendation off someone you trust. Or go and look at some new builds locally and if you see something you like ask the builder who done it & ask him if he was happy with the guy?

I know of a guy called Sam who owns Fratelli Engineering in Box Hill who started out building fences/gates but I have heard through the grapevine that he has expanded into other fields, so he may not be in the manufacture of fencing/gates anymore. You can give him a call (look in the white/yellow pages) and see what he can do for you - if anything?

Btw, why not post a picture or two here, as it will help others to get an idea as to what you are after.

Regards
    MH

>>>>It sounds like it you wanted to pick the biggest bandits in town then you certainly found them.

I run against 6 (six) absolutely lazy kind of companies. I do not believe they can survive in their businesses for a long time.

>>>However, saying that are you being unreasonable about the quote(s)?

Only 1 person gave me a quote of $3,000-$4,000 and I haven't seen him anymore. I am waiting for his call for 5 months !?

>>>You said "Two other men agreed to do the job and they took all required pictures and measurements , gave me their quotes and … despaired forever !?" What do you mean.

I mean what you have read. They both said "...we have all information and we will contact you within 2-3 days. We simply gave our alboms with pictures of our jobs to someone and they will return them back very soon. The you will need to choose any desihn..." That's it. They have never call back and I wolud never push anyone as well. They do not want to do it, so it is fine I will defenately find somebody else.

<O></O>>>>Then I approached another 1-man company and he just look at the pictures of my front yard and gave me an estimated quote 3 times bigger then I had from another company. What is to say the first one was too cheap?

Can you imagine a man with a match between his teeth ? That is his way to talk to the clients. He also didn't want to treval to my place and just looked at the picture. Then he gave me a quote of $8,000 and changed his match. I asked him to mail or e-mail to me all details of his job and gave him my card. 3 months later I still wait for his letter or e-mail. I personally woludn't give this kind of people even a $5 deposit.

>>>Personally I think you are being unreasonable not expecting to pay a deposit, after all he doesn't know you are and you could pull out after he has spent the time (and money) making your gate(s) - so it cuts both ways!!. However, I wouldn't give him more than $50 deposit without a quote sheet with his company details (and his signature) on the sheet. You could always ask a neighbour (or family/friends) who may have had some similar work done recently and were happy with it - nothing better than a recommendation off someone you trust. Or go and look at some new builds locally and if you see something you like ask the builder who done it & ask him if he was happy with the guy?

$50, are you joking ? They wanted 50%. An angry woman in the office at Bentleigh gate factory even proposed me to take all measurements myself and bring to her. I can give you their details and try yourself.

>>>Btw, why not post a picture or two here, as it will help others to get an idea as to what you are after.

I did it. Nothing special.

Hi Anatoli

Bugger - I just spent 15 minutes writing a reply and when I come to send it - it didn't upload it. So I will PM (Personal Message) you later with a couple of ideas - I won't let you down as I am a tradesperson with integrity.

Cheers
    Metal Head

P.S. Btw thanks for the photo - it makes it easier to understand where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
    Hi Anatoli

Bugger - I just spent 15 minutes writing a reply and when I come to send it - it didn't upload it. So I will PM (Personal Message) you later with a couple of ideas - I won't let you down as I am a tradesperson with integrity.

Cheers
    Metal Head

P.S. Btw thanks for the photo - it makes it easier to understand where you are coming from.

Thank you, Metal Head !

I hope you will try to create another reply. It is indeed a big pain for us. Just a week ago we had a girl collecting money for ... Collingwood Footy Club !!! Could that club to send her here to collect a few dollars ?!
    As you can see, the entrance is not wide enough for a notmal gate. But we need to find a relaible handyman who will do this job ASAP. Thanks !

Best wishes
    Anatoli

I'm sure Metalhead, being a tradesman, will come up with the goods for you, but I just wanted to let you know that I had the very same problem several years ago, but on a slightly steeper incline.
    I had very similar responses and yep, they too wanted a 50% deposit just to come out to quote. After about 6 months or so, I decided to build one myself.
    What I did was to hinge the lower edge of the gate (about 2 foot from memory). As the gate was swung open, the lower section would wind up until it fitted flush against the open gates, so no bits sticking out.
    I used stainless steel cable concealed inside the tubing with pulleys attached to allow the bottom to swing up gradually. It worked a treat and friends found it rather fascinating.
    If I'd had the money, I would have patented the system, but then again it's not a common problem because most people used sliding gates which may be another option. In my case, it wasn't and I suspect it may not be for you. The cost may be a worry too, these days.
    Just some thoughts.
    Of course I'm brave, I'm afraid of NO man, and only a few women.

Hi Anatoli

Firstly thanks for the kind comments Toyboy. I have seen similar mechanisms (on gates around the country) on gates that you described so patenting it may have made you a mult-millionaire by now.

The $8000 quote who received, did that include a remote control operation, or was it to be made out of gold!!. I’ve been down the same path trying to get decent tradespeople but they are in short supply and then they are extremely busy because of it.

I thought you could make it cheaper for yourself by having split (two) gates that should help
    <o></o>
    1) reduce the price

2) when being opened they wouldn’t have to go as far back (up the driveway) as a single one

3) <o></o>the weight would be spread over two sets of hinges

If you go to some of the hillier suburbs, you will see how they have had their gates mounted, as well as givng you some ideas of design & materials.
    <o></o>
    To be honest I am starting a new job tomorrow so I wouldn’t have the time to do it for you - unless a quote of $10,000+ interests you?
    <o></o>
    Wishing you all the best
    MH

Anatoli
    I would look at cutting the curb to the left of the drive down and have a sliding gate that slides back in behind your existing fromt garden bed. The beauty about a sliding gate is you can fill your drive with cars all the way to the boundary and not worry about swing room for the gate.

I'm with Burnsy

The simple answer would be to do a siding gate that looks similar to the inserts between your brick pillars and would tuck in behind the wall and the impact on your front garden behind the current wall would be mimimal .
    I think this would be a lot cheaper all you would need to do is add the runner for the gate and put the gate roller brackets on the brick pillar .
    IMO it look a lot better than a hinged gate .You could have it motorized or not and as Burnsy mentioned the fact that it would not hit the cars is a added bonus .
    i can get you some pic of a large one if you like .
    P.s putting a motor/sensors on hinged gates can be a pain from what i have heard .
    regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jags View Post
    I'm with Burnsy
    Me too, seems the obvious solution, did any of the companies suggest this?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Thanks to everyonbe who took part in this discussion. Of course, a sliding gate was the first (and the easiest) idea of all people who came to my place. Unfortunately it doesn't work. The curb and the level of the soil are nearly 1 meter higher then the drive-in . Can you imagine this tonnel in front of the house ? Plus the fence and the front yard have an oval shape and some large palms which have to go. I do not want to destroy this nice landscape.
    I collected a lot of differant designs from the internet. I can see pretty clear the gates I want to install in front of the house. I even made a small wooden model of the gates I would like to have. Look at that picture in the attachment. But I can't find a reliable company which can perform it.
    Thanks
    Anatoli

Hi Anatoli

Given that you thought some of the quotes were excessive - How much do you think a fair price would be to make those gates out of wrought iron? Additionally how much do you think the hinges and the mounting of them would be?

We had a guy here a few months ago who appeared more interested in selling his wrought iron goods than actually contributing (if I remember correctly his name sounded like arimiss). However I must say the items looked excellent - maybe worth sending him a PM to get a quote even if he doesn't live in Melbourne?

Cheers
    MH

>>>Given that you thought some of the quotes were excessive - How much do you think a fair price would be to make those gates out of wrought iron? Additionally how much do you think the hinges and the mounting of them would be?

A few months ago I spoke with one guy about his gates. He had sumulor gates as you can see at my picture. He forgot the name and the phone number of the company but they built and installed him the remote control wrought gates plus Intercom for around $7,000. I do not need any remote control, so depends on the design the total could be between $3,000 and $4,000. It is my guess. Maybe less. But all our discussions are in vain because noone has the phone number of any good company

Quote Originally Posted by AnatoliSirota View Post
    A few months ago I spoke with one guy about his gates. He had sumulor gates as you can see at my picture. He forgot the name and the phone number of the company but they built and installed him the remote control wrought gates plus Intercom for around $7,000. I do not need any remote control, so depends on the design the total could be between $3,000 and $4,000. It is my guess. Maybe less. But all our discussions are in vain because noone has the phone number of any good company
    Anatoli, it has been two years since I priced them but I could get automated / remote control swing mechanisms for those type of gates for about $1200.

Given that this type of thing has come don in price rather than going up I think you are probably wasting time if you think you will find someone to make a real wrought iron gate for less than $3-4000 given that your original quote was $7000 with a controller. Your best option might be to get one of the tube steel gate makers to make up and powdercoat you one. You can design it such that it has some of the fancy aluminium castings on it and looks the part. These are much cheaper as they are made quickly on a jig using Chinese steel.

Hi Anatoli,

Have you tried contacting Fratelli Engineering yet (for a quote) as I suggested in my first post on this thread? Can you tell me where you live? If you prefer PM me

Cheers
    MH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast