Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carabatec V Ryobi Thickenesser

Hi All

I am in the market for a value end of the market (ie Chinese) Thickenesser. I wish I could afford more, but such is life. I have done a fair bit of research on the internet and via this forum and essentially have come down to the brands mentioned above, They are both a 318mm capacity machine that sell for around the $350 mark.

The only real difference in specs that I can discern are;

1) The Carabatec has blades that can be resharpened whereas the Ryobi has double side throw away blades

2) The Ryobi has an automatic feeder. I am not sure if the Carabatec has this feature as it is not mentioned on the website ?

Other than that they both appear to be remarkably similar. The seem to have the same physical dimensions and working capacity.

I would be interested to learn if anyone has any positive & helpful views / experiences in this area that will help me make the correct choice.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi
    A thicknesser is more of a professional/serious amateur (sp) purchase than say a drill press or most of your portable power tools are.

From my experience with both chinese machine tools (H&F thicknesser & drill press) and ryobi power tools (sander, SCMS & biscuit joiner) I'd steer well clear of Ryobi.

I have found that Ryobi is fine for the seldom and lightly used tools but usually lacks grunt and accuracey, both of which are necessary for a thicknesser. As it stands I'm only waiting for a good excuse to replace the SCMS with a good Makita, Bosch or Makita copy at my first opportunity as the accuracy of this saw is crap but I hate to throw out tools that are still operating. I ignore the provided angles and detents and just use my own angle marks on the saw table.

As for automatic feeders, I don't know of any thicknesser which doesn't have a set of powered feed rollers - can't imagine trying to push a block of timber through a thicknesser

Why don't you have a look at Hare and Forbes if your thinking chinese build as these are generally pretty close or exactly the same as the carbatech brand but at less dollars

As far as I can see, the GMC, Ryobi and Carba-tec (and probably other brands) 12.5" thicknessers are identical in every respect bar the paint job. My GMC ($199 at Bunnies last Oct) is going really well, including doing 8"x1.5" old ironbark. All I have had to do is get the blades sharpened, and got a second set of blades to keep going while the others are at the sharpeners - Ryobi for the second set - they are identical

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

I'm with ironbark........they are all the same 'looking'. Whether that means they have the same spec of motor and ancilliaries is anyones guess.

Here's the Hare & Forbes thicknesser page

We've got the Carbatec equivalent of the T-382 and we're very very happy with it.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

You may also want to check out warranty/after sales service. Following a recent experience I have discovered that some suppliers/manufacturers only provide limited warranties (even in the first 12 months) and you may be surprised at what is not covered. Nothing worse than a relatively new machine out of action and it always happens at the wrong time thanks to Murphy!

K

Quote Originally Posted by iron bark View Post
    As far as I can see, the GMC, Ryobi and Carba-tec (and probably other brands) 12.5" thicknessers are identical in every respect bar the paint job. My GMC ($199 at Bunnies last Oct) is going really well, including doing 8"x1.5" old ironbark. All I have had to do is get the blades sharpened, and got a second set of blades to keep going while the others are at the sharpeners - Ryobi for the second set - they are identical
    Yeh, I've got a ryobi....seems ok.......EXCEPT...

These cheap bastard machines are all prone to snipe....the kind of snipe thats hard to fix too....means you may get 2" of snipe at the start and end of each pass.......snipe being, say 1mm or so deeper thicknessing than the rest of the pass......means you have to allow for it by adding up to 4" extra length. waste of wood. pain in the #### IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    Yeh, I've got a ryobi....seems ok.......EXCEPT...

These cheap bastard machines are all prone to snipe....the kind of snipe thats hard to fix too....means you may get 2" of snipe at the start and end of each pass.......snipe being, say 1mm or so deeper thicknessing than the rest of the pass......means you have to allow for it by adding up to 4" extra length. waste of wood. pain in the #### IMO.
    You're right, except it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the price you paid!
    I have the $199 GMC from Bunnings, my mate has a very expensive DeWalt, the results from both machines are identical. Both produce snipe to the same extent.
    There was an interesting article in FWW #183 on how to avoid snipe with these machines.

BTW Another mate is a tech teacher at one of the local high schools and he uses the super duper 3phase humungous thicknesser about 18" wide, and it also produces snipe.
    Seems to be more the nature of the machine than the price/quality angle.

Must say that for $199 I am more than satisfied with my GMC, so I lose 4" of timber, seems a small price to pay.

I have to agree with Big Shed

I don't seem to get snipes at the infeed end, but sometimes it ocurs at the out feed end, ie last bit through the machine. If I am in a hurry, the snipe is there, but if I support the timber (I'm talking about 6' lengths), and don't hold it up too much or let it drop, then there is no snipe. I haven't tried really short lengths.

I have to agree though about the price - mine is a $199 GMC and really for what I paid, and the amount of use it gets, I'm happy.

Cheers,

Ned

Default Where do you get $199 GMC ????

Does anyone know where I can find one of these $199 GMC thicknesser. I have checked most of the SE & SW Sydney Bunnings without success. All that they stock is Ryobi.

I remember looking a year or so ago and they used to stock Ozito and GMC. No more it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by gthome View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find one of these $199 GMC thicknesser. I have checked most of the SE & SW Sydney Bunnings without success. All that they stock is Ryobi.

I remember looking a year or so ago and they used to stock Ozito and GMC. No more it seems.
    They don't have them at that price anymore. Was in Home Hardware today and the same GMC thicknesser sells for $379, stood next to a Ryobi Thicknesser, also $379, only difference was the stickers.

Not sure whether Bunnies did a special deal with GMC, but back in about September/October the local Bunnies had a pallet full at $199. Waited that long to make up my mind, that by the time I went to get one there were 3 left!

Agreed its common.....but IMO the biggest cause is just poor design.

When I first got my Ryobi, I was so annoyed with it, I spent a few hours trying to solve it. I managed it finally....wrote about it here.....took photos and all sorts of things, being so proud of myself.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...pe+thicknesser
    Esentially fixed the problem by locking the assembly with thumbscrews. A fix that won't last I'm affraid due to weak plastic crap I tapped holes into.

Believe snipe is caused by many factors..... But you wouldn't be put on the back foot from the very beginning if the bloody design ensured the assembly didn't rake, or the bed didn't flex.

There's a few people I'm sure who don't get any snipe at all, simply because they have a quality machine to begin with,,,,and are skilled at using them.

Talking about moi Jake?

The Makita does get snipe, so bad that if you look at the wood at just the right angle, with light behind it, you can see a tiny little divot, maybe a couple thou deep on the infeed. Outfeed is mostly non-existant.

The Mak doesn't have a lock on it like the Dewally, and it doesn't seem to need it either, even though I think the infeed roller applies a little too much pressure to completely eliminate snipe. Certainly the design and construction doesn't hurt the thing.

On heavy cuts, it does get it, and if the board isn't supported right, it gets ugly, but a light cut and proper support, the snipe scrapes out with a couple passes.

And that's where the extra money goes.

A thicknesser is virtually useless without a jointer, so start saving until you can afford a jointer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Talking about moi Jake?
    no.... but your machine should have been made not to snipe at all either. IMO ...

When I lock up the screws on my Ryobi, it doesn't matter how heavy a cut I'm taking or if the supports bad,,,,(maybe a long piece of something like) it doesn't snipe at all. There's no question.

Just saying that all designs should have a locking system that ensures the assembly cannot move whatsoever..... just some kind of button or something like.

I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to do....they can design everything else in the things....they even try and be clever with anti-kickback crap etc....but they don't bother addressing this problem well

I find that sometimes its benificial to thickness after cutting to length.....sometimes its the only way.......means out comes the hand planes if my thicknessers sniping.

Hi,
    I've got the Carbatec one and it has been fine, even been chucking some hardwood in it.
    Only problem I have had is when I had a wide piece of hardwood and the the thing was working hard when I realised the outfeed plate collapsed. The screws on the side had vibrated off with the roller.

Fortunately I found them in the pile of shavings and replaced. I then checked all the other screws and many were loose.

Moral is- check all screws when you get it home. As I said I am happy with it. BTW got it form Carbatec in Brisbane on special for $299.

Cheers,
    Conwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast