Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Off cuts & Advice on Timber for Coffee Machine

Hi All... Please go easy on me, as it is my first post and I am only new to the Wood World.

Looking forward to May the 21st to have a look around the Brisbane Wood Show etc.

I am more into Coffee and IT than wood, but they do complement each other.

I have a basic wood lathe and have made a couple of handles (group handle) for the odd coffee machine, from some scrap bits of timber around teh house and off cuts from the old mango tree (soft). Schsss have to start some where.

Have seen very nice ones made from some exotic woods in the USA etc but as I am only starting off, and I wish to tread with a bit of care.

In addition the handle usually has a thread inserted in the thin end, to screw into the filter holder body. It also has to take a bit of leverage that could be applied by some users AND is subject to some heat and moisture...

Thus the reason why many use Plastic or a Bakelite, but I find that timber give a different feel and looks more appealing; even it it is a bit of kwila from a piece of hand rail, that has been cut and then turned.

So as a newbe, any advice as to possible Suitable Timbers And OR if some scrap stuff might be had, would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome!!

I agree entirely, coffee and IT and Woodwork do go together well

I would go for some hardwoods, namely jarrah, teak, beech, but for some reason, I think fruit woods might be more suitable, plum, olive, walnut, rock maple, and others such as oak (english, american, sheoak), mahogany even.

For handles check out what people use for chisel handles and I reckon you won't be far off at all.

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    Welcome!!

I agree entirely, coffee and IT and Woodwork do go together well

I would go for some hardwoods, namely jarrah, teak, beech, but for some reason, I think fruit woods might be more suitable, plum, olive, walnut, rock maple, and others such as oak (english, american, sheoak), mahogany even.

For handles check out what people use for chisel handles and I reckon you won't be far off at all.

cheers
    Wendy
    Ok so Australian Grown

Thus on the look out for Plum and or others that I might be able to pick up...

Has any one ever looked at or tried a coffee tree ? I have a couple of small ones but do not know what an older tree may be like.

A coffee Machine with Handles made from a Coffee tree would be a true match ?

BlIss,

Most timbers will work out well for your task. The handle isn't subjected to too much heat or moisture so in the end it will come down to personal preference.

As a recent coffee snob myself what machine do you have? It will influence the timber. Also you should be looking at something that will match your kitchen. The handle will not be too difficult to make and you can epoxy a threaded rod as far as you like to connect to the portafilter.

My preferences would be:
    Blackwood or Fiddleback redgum.

How about a photo of the setup?
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    BlIss,

Most timbers will work out well for your task. The handle isn't subjected to too much heat or moisture so in the end it will come down to personal preference.

As a recent coffee snob myself what machine do you have? It will influence the timber. Also you should be looking at something that will match your kitchen. The handle will not be too difficult to make and you can epoxy a threaded rod as far as you like to connect to the portafilter.

My preferences would be:
    Blackwood or Fiddleback redgum.

How about a photo of the setup?
    RORLMAO

Hi there Sir Stinky

I am in an Old Queenslander >100 and have a plain kitchen to suit the house.. Now that leaves alot to the imagination but is the only way to put it.

The wooden group handles is more about a simple product and me making use of my small wood lathe. Have tried lots of timber from my yard - After I have been pruning, but bringing it back to coffee is where I wanted to go.

PS It is I = AM and ex CS member....

If you go here as you may have done, there are lots a great examples. I was just wanting to keep it Australian.

Still interested to find out what coffee tree wood is like

Not sure if this pic is any good but all I have on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by BlIss View Post
    PS It is I = AM and ex CS member....
    Out of all the stinking forums on the internet you had to pick this one
    I noticed a post the other day stating that you had moved along to another forum ...... but this one?????

I cant seem to find much on coffee tree timber. There is the "Kentucky" coffee tree (Exotic Wood coffee tree) however the timber looks very bland. I still like the idea of something dark to set it off against the stainless of the machine. The super dark kingwood and cocobolo on your link look good.

Hope the CD arrived.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    Out of all the stinking forums on the internet you had to pick this one
    I noticed a post the other day stating that you had moved along to another forum ...... but this one?????

I cant seem to find much on coffee tree timber. There is the "Kentucky" coffee tree (Exotic Wood coffee tree) however the timber looks very bland. I still like the idea of something dark to set it off against the stainless of the machine. The super dark kingwood and cocobolo on your link look good.

Hope the CD arrived.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Yes... The CD did AND it seemed to work... BUT keeps crashing on BSOD... Must be a driver some where... I though could do a Recovery from XP, but it expects the right SP. I think I will reload over if I can and maybe some of teh stuff will remain

This Forum is BIG and looks like it is well maintained and has plenty of local content / members (Brisbane). I just have to learn how to search correctly.

Yes, a Dark timber is the best I feel. Love the cocobolo but a protected tree and much of the stuff i hear from another Coffee Guy in teh US, is obtained from interesting suppliers. He has used copious amounts of the stuff and has good and bad things to say about it.

I have found little on Coffee Tree timber but a another coffee person in Nth NSW is on the lookout for me. He thinks it might be very soft ?

So do I keep my fingers crossed that some one in Brisbane might have a few bits of off cuts that I can work with OR do I just wait until the Brisbane show ?

Regards to all.

I would suggest you talk to people now and if they have any, they bring it to the Show. I have never ever seen coffee timber at the Bris show, but I now hope there will be a first time.

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    I would suggest you talk to people now and if they have any, they bring it to the Show. I have never ever seen coffee timber at the Bris show, but I now hope there will be a first time.
    As I am new to this... Sorry OT really...

Who or where should I be asking ?

Still trying to learn the format and the search tool on the great Forum...

Thanks.

Ooooo. Coffee and timber all rolled into one. I may have just died and the afterlife is better than I was led to expect.

A brief search on the internet showed little as you said. I think the fact nobody has used it or knows about it will be something of a pointer as to it's usefullness. It could also be that the plantation owners are reluctant to cut down their valuable trees and give them to us to hack about with sharp instruments.

There are two main plants, Coffea arabica and Coffea canephora (robusta). The first is the refined plant grown at high altitude and used primarily in the so-called real coffee. Robusta is the product used for instant coffee and is generally regarded as an inferior coffee bean. Ironically the robusta plant, and therefore instant coffee, contains more caffeine than arabica.

I am just mentioning the types of coffee plant so you may be able to pursue a search through the net. I couldn't resist throwing in my twopennyworth on the relative virtues of coffees.

I suspect almost any timber will surffice for the group handle, but a hardwood will feel infinitely better. Possibly the threaded rod will grip better in a hardwood too where it is fixed to the basket holder. I noticed in the link you posted that the tampers too had wooden handles. They looked good.

I think that you would have to experiment with finishes as there is considerable heat generated in the group head and the group handle is supposed to remain in the group head at all times. Gloss varnish is the most durable, but not neccessarily the most pleasing. Oiled finishes are the most aesthetic but not always practical for heavy wear.

Let us know if you come up with anything on timber from coffee trees.

I have just thought that perhaps an avenue may be to contact australian plantations. I am sure there are a few. There is definitely one near Kuranda just outside of Cairns.

Your handles looked good btw.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlIss View Post
    Who or where should I be asking ?
    BlIss ..... try getting in contact with the following:

Boutique Timbers: Timber Selection
    TASMANIAN TIMBERS | Burls & Figured Turning Blanks | Tasmania, Australia | Timber Supplier & Exporter

Both are listed to be at the Brisbane show and I am sure there will be other announced closer to the date.

The good news is that you don't need much for your task and there will be plenty of suitable timber blanks cut up for making pepper grinders and the like. A blank will be around $20 or so and you should be able to get about 4 handles out of it.

Another coffee nut here.

I've never thought of making portafilter handles (I have 4).
    I have made a few dozen Tamper handles

These are my fvorites

This one is in sandalwood

This one is Spalted Pear.
    Attachment 167808

And here is my shrine
    Attachment 167806
    La Cimbali Junior Machine, Mazzer Mini grinder for regular beans, Iberital Grinder for decaf.

Bobl

Man of much milling!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

The tamper is one of the most important aspects of coffee making (but frequently given little heed in commercial situations) so it is very fitting that some special attention is afforded it.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Bobl ......

Is that a custom timber knock box under all that protective plastic?

Just waiting for my beast to heat up for the first Good Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast