Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: aluminium mast

Default aluminium mast

Can anyone suggest where is a good place to buy "aluminium mast" my plans call up a Spunspar s1024 section 2mm w/t the height of the mast is 7650mm. I am willing to build my own if I can get hold of the right section (save money) or look at an alternative shape.
    Cheers, Paul

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If it is a performance boat there is little choice - Goldspar and spunspar are the most available high performance aluminium masts in Australia.

They are also both highly notorious for slow delivery unless they have the item in stock - and even then it might be slow. Maybe spunspar has improved in this area in recent times - but both have a long way to go with customer service.

If you want a simlar high performance there are very few other choices. Binks in Adelaide import Proctor for some classes - so if yours fits in that specification they might be useful - but I don't promise it will be much cheaper. Lightspars in Melbourne sell a much lower tech mast at a slightly lower price.

For some sizes Duckflat can supply similar tech to Goldspar/Spunspar for the top section but a slighly lower spec for the bottom part compared to the other two companies - sometimes this can end up much cheaper. This can make a lot of sense - but it is only available in some sizes.

Without knowing the type or boat or actual size of mast it is a bit hard to point you in the most useful direction.

With spunspar and goldspar and the duckflat alternative it is possible to save some money by putting the mast track on yourself (it is best to use their track) - but it is not a really easy process - a bit fiddly as you need to modify a pop riveter ... and know where to put the rivets - I can help you with that part.

Best wishes
    Michael Storer

I remember now ... David Payne trailer sailer. Scrub Binks from the list - the only mast they carry of that size is for the Yngling - and they don't bring many in as the class is not popular.

If racing is not the main thing - the Lightspars mast would save you about 30% if my prices from a couple of years ago are still right. Maybe save you a bit more. It will be a couple of kg heavier so you will lose out on some racing performance - but it won't interfere with family sailing. Might reduce resale a bit - maybe if following owners are race oriented.

Are you planning to use a bolt rope on the mainsail or use slugs and slides (less efficient but easier to reef and drop.

Michael

Thanks Michael,yes you are right it is a David Payne 5.5 Trailer Sailer. At this early stage the boat will be used for cruising.
    The only info I have at the moment for the mast is as follows:
    Spunspar s1024 section with 2mm w.t. Lower section, join @ spreader, - 80dia. Boom Spunspar s258 rolled section - 108 x 80
    Spreaders - as directed by manufacturer
    Rigging - 1x19 S/S wire rope.
    Sails:
    Luff Leech Foot
    Main 6.95 7.40 3.10
    Jib 6.90 6.14 2.35
    Full length or leech batterns may be used for mainsail.
    Additional reef points may be incorporated at least one should be fitted.
    As I dont fully understand this tech detail any additional info will really be appreciated.
    Do you have the address of Lightspars mast makers in melbourne.
    Cheers, Paul

Howdy, One advantage of the lighter spunspar mast will be getting it up and down. I reckon that extra $500 or whatever will make the boat much more used. Not to mention the performance improvement.

Lightspars is at
    #
    Light Spars Of Australia
    # Fcty 2/ 6 Horscroft Pl Moorabbin 3189
    # (03) 9555 4622

Bob is a crusty old b*gger, but is kind hearted under the gruff exterior. The masts are available tapered (which is what you want) or untapered. They also have a hinged base available that allows the mast to swing down.

Michael.