Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default I built a boat...

It's my first one and I'm chuffed with it.

Looks a bit better in the water

plans on order for my next one too...

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddet...?prod=Sas14-30

just a little more difficult before I attempt something bigger.

Tor

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

WELL DONE MATE!!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    It's my first one and I'm chuffed with it.

plans on order for my next one too...

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddet...?prod=Sas14-30

just a little more difficult before I attempt something bigger.

Tor
    Sounds like you've been well-and-truly bitten by the bug too.
    Maybe someone should start one of those ten-step support groups for amateur boat builders...
    (but -I- don't have a problem... I can stop anytime I like... )
    cheers
    AJ

There is nothing like the satisfaction of 'sailing' a boat that you built yourself.......well done....and welcome to the club!!!

AJ is absolutely right.....once you have been bitten by the 'bug' thats it....for life!!!!

I built my first boat over 40 years ago in the UK....a mirror dinghy.......following a promotion of them by the Daily Mirror news paper. Since then I have built a number of boats. Had nothing for quite a few years until I purchased a 15ft FG (washes mouth out!!) half cab about 2 years ago......the transom turned to mush so I set to and replaced the whole 'back end' with timber!! Working with timber on a boat again awoke the bug once more.....I now have a restoration poject on the go (17ft Hartley power boat) and am already planning my next TWO wooden boats even though I am not half way through this current rebuild!!!

I can stop any time I like too, but I don't like it when I do!

Well done Tor, good luck with the lifetime of build ahead of you!

Cheers,

P

Thanks chaps,

Plans arrived today and it's a little more complex but I bit of reading before I start should have it sorted, can't start yet (OS trip) but end of July will see another project started...

Tor

Hi Tor,

Nice boat! I like the deck detail. Matt certainly designs some nice boats, and I'm sure a pirogue or canoe will find it's way into my collection one day.

I'm into my second build, with more plans just ordered and years of building ahead of me just with what I hae in mind now. It scared my wife a bit when she learnt I wanted to build "a few" boats...until she met a friend at a kayak race today who confessed to having "somewhere over 30 kayaks and canoes" so she knows (a) it is addictive and (b) I'm actually not as bad as some!

So keep buildng and paddling, you've made a great start.

Regards,
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by TK1 View Post
    It scared my wife a bit when she learnt I wanted to build "a few" boats...until she met a friend at a kayak race today who confessed to having "somewhere over 30 kayaks and canoes" so she knows (a) it is addictive and (b) I'm actually not as bad as some!

My Missus jacked-up when I got to 5 kayaks & a row/sail boat in a family of 4 (of whom 2 are largely non-boaties). I protested that the dog & the chooks might be interested in taking up paddling, but she was un-moved. So two kayaks have just gone to good homes.

<whispers> but I've got 2 more sets of plans all ready to go...

AJ

Vern
    Any particular reason why you stuck with the full width motor well on the restoration of the old Hartley ?

My plans for the 18' Vixen show that also but I reckon I might go for a smaller area and make use of the side bits for some decking with storage below...... seems a waste with a well that wide

Aberdeen
    "May your dreams of today
    be the reality of tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
    Any particular reason why you stuck with the full width motor well on the restoration of the old Hartley ?
    No real reason other than 'because thats what the picture shows' and that I am also considering the option of a twin motor setup.........haven't really decided on that one yet though!!

Vern

My plans for the 18' Vixen show that also but I reckon I might go for a smaller area and make use of the side bits for some decking with storage below...... seems a waste with a well that wide

Aberdeen,
    All of Hartleys 15 and 20 degree hulls have the fulll width well, we changed one years ago to what your are describing and it worked a treat, I have just started building "Vamp" and am actually setting it up as a side console with a full flotation pod simillar to the new wave of "tinnies", I will post photo's as we go as should look a bit different to the norm.

Post Full beam motor well-ABP impact

Have a think about its impact on your Australian Builder's Plate (ABP) calculation too!

Full beam takes away from your gross volume, but consequently reduces the amount of foam you need.

It may depend on whether you are going for basic or level flotation.

My last client went for level flotation in a 15 1/2 ft Hartley.

It was such a joy seeing someone get so much pleasure and pride in building their own boat, he did a great job of it too! (so much so that I was very careful not to scuff his side decks).

Hey Aqua
    Correct about the pleasure of building one of these things......
    My next one (started) is an 18' Hartley...... would like bigger but have to be realistic, besides the shed is only 24' long

Hey Kev
    Waiting patiently for some photos when they are available.....
    Especially any more info on the 'pod' concept.......

Hey Aberdeen,
    Will post photo's as we go first thing on the agenda is I am setting up half frames out of MDF at the lenghtend dimension, checking Gunwhale and Chine lines, as you would know they tend to run in a little when lentghend, so we as in dad and I are considering seting up at 15'6" then scribing in an additional frame middway between 5 and stern then basically place timber and MDF on the frames til we get it looking right. A couple of other things to but will post a sketch of how we figure it will look tomorrow, see what you think, lot's o0f mucking around but then why not have ago I always say.

Kev, have sent you an email.........

Also if you have any pictures of the one you changed at the rear not to have a full width well.....