Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Mitsubishi Challenger

G'Day All,

I am considering buying a 2005 Mitsubishi Challenger. It has done approx 97000 klms and I am wondering if anyone knows of any problems with these vehicles.

I am aware that the timing belts need to be changed at 100000klms (not sure how much?) but other than that I don't know what else if else is a problem with these.

Any help or comments much appreciated

Thanks

Rod

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think the challenger is a wagon body on triton running gear, probably heaps more tritons about to campare mechanicals with!

Thanks Stringy,

From what I understand it was originally but I am led to believe that it started to evolve away. On saying that though there must be some similarities there somewhere as why would they reinvent the wheel.

Gives me something to think about anyway.

Cheers

Rod

They are a good solid old bus. Old technology (single cam V6, Leaf spring rear on some not sure of the year change to a 3 link setup) but good value non the less.

The 3lt V6 likes oil as she gets on a bit as the rings are soft from the factory. 15k service interval is good.

There is not much room for the left foot in the footwell is the only other critisicm that i am aware of.

These things lost value rapidly from new so make sure its a good buy. Should not be paying much more than 22k for it IMO.

We had a triton that did over 450,000 km's before a rebuild!

Would be good put on LPG

I have had a 2001 challanger since new.
    Been out bush - no problems. Wasn't built in Aust so interior ect fits properly and doent rattle.

Change timing belt and plugs at 100K. The only other issue I know of is, that I did a harmonic balancer. Get them to check the condition when they do the belt, that way it will save some labour.

Motor revs a bit high but on 4wd track in low will just about climb up a cliff. Yet still dives like a car.

Spare body parts can be a bit of a challange to find if you want to buy second hand.

Yes I would buy aontother one.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Dazzler, if it all works out I won't be paying any more than $21K so it doesn't seem like a bad deal.
    Hingston, can you remember what the approx cost of the timing belt and plugs were?

I like the idea of the 2005 model because I have been told that the 5 year factory warranty was in place for this one.

I will have to check it out some more.

Thanks

Rod

Default Well, it's built to last forever...

AN "old thread' some will say, but - is it ? ...some things never change... here's why:
    Well, Triton, Pajero, Challenger...it's built to last forever...
    Like he said: after 100K, change the timing belt, and,
    If your mechanic (less likely) "smells" anything else to be bad - change it,
    and service car by every 15k afterwards.
    As for the "difficult to find parts" - it's not really the case anymore - many indie aftermarket companies are making those 'hard-to-find' parts for many vehicles,
    and ALSO: Mitsubishi parts are (almost always) inter-changeable between many
    of their cars (Japs thought of it ahead, some 30 years back to now, and continues,
    eg. today - we can use Magna 90's starter in any of the mentioned 4x4 vehicles, etc, etc, and,
    sometimes you just look for their car version close to yours, and find that part is compatible to use on about 10 Mitsubishi cars that are all differnet types, and with the wonders of internet today - not difficult to find anymore, it's all like "getting the better deal" at which place on the internet (the days you have been driving from wrecker to wrecker in Australia are - gone, today - there is internet - everything can be found and has it's price, accordingly).
    I always drove mitsu cars, Magnas,
    -Pajeros or -Challengers
    never had any problems finding parts i need (and for bargain) to this day, either at:
    -my mechanic (+all of mechanics also have direct Mitsubishi support in OZ, for parts),
    -aftermarket internet stores
    -local brick-and-mortar stores
    You only need [not to be lazy] to look everywhere (sometimes it is demanding, but
    you WILL find them, (and cheaply) with enough effort each time, i do, at least).
    Happy 4x4 - ing, forever...and with -Triton, Pajero(or)Challenger-this is completely ok to do. Each of them can do 500 k as default, and than, with same support, why not 1milon ? i don't see why not, Mitsubishi is there to stay, in OZ you even have a
    clubs that supply brand new ('old') parts for the cars made from 1900's till today -the older they are - the more expensive [if restorated], just as the new cars are expensive, so - common sense i guess, negative thinking (if any) can be your only problem there, but - the parts are all over the OZ, or the world..."internet - the wonderfull land where
    everything is possible if you dig deep enough"