Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Rexon drill press from Glenfords

I'm in the market for a new drill press with upto $500 to spend. Does anyone have or had any experience with the Rexon from Glenfords in Australia. What other choices do I have. I will be using it for both metal & timber. Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yes ,I bought mine about 5 years ago .Its a bench mounted one ,cant remember how much I paid (around 300.00 IIRC).
    It is still going , is noisy on high speeds .
    The table is the the worst part , it flexes at the swivel bracket when heavy drilling is done .I just take it easy .It would be better if it was made a bit more sturdier in this area.
    I set my table up square to the chuck using a dial gauge and had to put some shim under the swivel to lift the front of the table slightly.I don't need to swivel the table to drill on angles as I have a universal machine vice so the shim is not an issue.The swivel angle readout is just a sticker so its a joke.
    But for the money it works ok .I think most of the other drills in this price range are much the same.
    When I need a new one I think I may look at a more heavy duty industrial type though

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Have a look at the 'Trade Tools' drill to get a comparison. I have used a few at various workshops and the tables do move and flex a bit the same as the Rexon.

I bought the Rexon RDP1516F (floor model) from Glenfords about 4 years ago. 12 speed with a good low speed about 250rpm.
    It gets plenty of use, mostly wood work but occasionally some heavy work in steel. Don't have any complaints with it.
    I was helping SIL choose a drill press recently and compared Trade Tools, Carba-Tec & Glenfords and we still think this model from Glenfords is the best value at this price level. Currently they ask about $360.
    An important measurement is the reach or swing, that is the distance from the column to chuck centre. It is 195mm on the model we are talking about. On others at this price level it is quite a bit less.
    Brian