Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default table saw KS-12K vs TSC-10HB

Ok, i know the 'which table saw question' has been done to death on this forum. i've read most of the posts and have narrowed down my choice to these two machines.

RRP from carbatec is $995 for KS-12K and $1699 for TSC-10HB.

obviously i'm leaning towards the cheaper of the two but may be swayed to spend the extra $$ if its definitely worth it.

the saw is for a home shop for hobby use but i want it to last a lifetime.... accordingly the more versatile the better.

i realise the KS-12K is a contractor saw and understand the drawbacks. i also note it has a 2 HP motor vs the 3 HP for the TSC-10HB.

the TSC-10HB will only support a 15mm dado vs 19mm despite having more grunt, dissapointing.

moveability isn't a big issue - have a big shed - just need to clear some junk!

anyone want to convince me to spend the extra $700?

also i'm upgrading from a triton - frustrated with the lack of accuracy, difficult set up, painful adjustment of blade height.... the list could go on. anything will be an improvement.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If it was me and the choice was only between these two saws, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the TS10HB. I don't think you are correct about the 15/19mm dado, I believe the TS10HB does handle a 19mm dado.

I had a good look at the K12 and definitely decided against it, read my original tablesaw choice thread as to why, also you may want to do a search on the K12 and read what people have to say about it.

Personally I would not chose a contractor type saw over a cabinet saw any time.

I am not biased as far as the TS10HB goes, I bought a TL10S and would do so again tomorrow if I had to buy another saw.

It is a saw for discerning people, just have a look at Stuarts' blog

appreciate your response big shed.

the 15mm dado limitation is set out in the specifications section of the carbatec website. it actually provides the same for the TS-10L - i.e only suits a dado set to 15mm. i take it you can confirm thats not the case from your own experience.

i want to make the right decision its a considerable investment!

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    appreciate your response big shed.

the 15mm dado limitation is set out in the specifications section of the carbatec website. it actually provides the same for the TS-10L - i.e only suits a dado set to 15mm. i take it you can confirm thats not the case from your own experience.

i want to make the right decision its a considerable investment!
    I can't vouch for the TS10HB (although I seem to remember there has been some discussion recently on this, which confirmed 19mm), I can definitely vouch for the fact that the TS10L takes a 19mm dado set with ease. Just goes to show you can't always believe what CT tells you Hope that helps. Oh and BTW, I also seem to remember that the TS10HB is on "special" at present for $1599?

You're right, it is a considerable investment, I thought long and hard about spending the $1995 on my TS10L, only made the decision after SWMBO be obeyed reminded me that "you only live once, no good leaving it to the kids!"
    Have necer regretted it one minute, great addition to the shed, a tablesaw is just so much nicer to use (and so much quieter) than my Triton that I wonder why I didn't do this a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    You're right, it is a considerable investment, I thought long and hard about spending the $1995 on my TS10L, only made the decision after SWMBO be obeyed reminded me that "you only live once, no good leaving it to the kids!"
    Good decision Fred, Im sure you will be happy with the saw. I remember hesitating spending the money on the TSC10HB but boy, I am glad that I did. It does all I have asked from it and more!

I think the comment about contractor saws and cabinet saws is a valid one. Woodworking is a dusty business and in addition to all the other disadvantages a contractor saw is a lot less effective at dust collection than a cabinet saw. That will have connotations longterm for ones health.

I would not hesitate recommending the TSC to anyone but if the budget can stretch further a sawstop or the TS10L would be even better.

regards

Marios
    You can never have enough planes, that is why Mr Stanley invented the 1/2s

I have the KS-12K with sliding table (a real, serious sliding table - but I do not know if it is sold anymore). I have had this table saw for at least 10 years.

For its price the KS-12K is excellent. I have not had any problems with it. Very reliable. Never goes out of setting. The sliding table is actually superb. But it is still a $1K tablesaw. If I was buying another, and I had $2K to spend, I'd spend the $2K. If I only had or only wanted to spent $1K, the KS-12K is a going to be a good purchase. But you get what you pay for.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'd also recommend the cabinet saw direction. My decision wrt upgrading from the Triton was to do it properly, not another interim step. I also sold the Triton and associated accessories for near on $800, so the extra to get a cabinet saw is no where near as much as buying it from scratch.

Aligning the saw is also a damned sight easier - a friend has got a contractor's saw, and it is too much work to get it as accurate as I'd want it. My saw is within a thou or so, again, stepping up from Triton might as well be a decent step, and not a tiptoe.

There are lots of advocates on here for the TSC-10HB. Simply based on the number of supporters, that is a pretty large recommendation. As Big Shed said though, there are models above even that, and I have not regretted in following his lead to get the TS10L. However, that is the cost of the KS-12K and the TSC-10HB together, so I'm guessing well out of your budget.

Get the TSC-10HB. You will thank everyone (and yourself) if you do.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I have a TSC-10HB and could not be happier.
    les

Quote Originally Posted by les88 View Post
    I have a TSC-10HB and could not be happier.
    les
    I also have one and could be happier but only by spending a lot more! I use the a Freud Dado set and believe it could do 19mm. I have cut 16 and 18mm without problems though it is close to the end of the arbour. It might depend on the particular dado set.
    I never make mistakes, I thought I did once but I was mistaken

Top 10 reasons I procrastinate

Billg

Having recently gone through a similar quandary I ended up settling for the contractor saw based fundamentally on a price point option. The saw I ended up with is a copy of the KS-12K marketed as SparkPower TS-12 (3HP, 12” blade, 5/8th Arbor). The price of this saw in Melbourne is approximately $660 at Nightingale in Spencer St.

The decision to spend less and buy a contractor style rather than a cabinet style will probably play in my mind for some time but it is tempered by looking at the dust extractor, wixey digital fence gauge and additional saw blades that I put my extra cash towards.

Having said this if a Chinese contractor saw is purchased you can look forward to several days of setup and alignment before it is actually ready for use as the trunnion needs to be properly aligned to the table, the depth and angle stops need to be set etc.

In summary, if you are cashed up I would buy the cabinet saw but if, like me, cash is less available than the time to perform adjustments (read finish the manufacturing process) then perhaps you will arrive at a similar decision.

Regards,
    Peter

The Gary Pye site (gpwoodturning.com.au) has a Jet saw model No TSC-10HB.

Is this a coincidence or is it the same as the Carbatec TSC-10HB?. Also the price on the Jet is $1,425 Vs carb $1,699?

Anyone know the answer?
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geoffo View Post
    The Gary Pye site (gpwoodturning.com.au) has a Jet saw model No TSC-10HB.

Is this a coincidence or is it the same as the Carbatec TSC-10HB?. Also the price on the Jet is $1,425 Vs carb $1,699?

Anyone know the answer?
    Geoff
    I bought the TSC-10HB from Gary Pye for $1425. They were good to deal with. It is the same. Different colour. Once you pay for transport (I think it was about ($150), you are getting up to the cost of the carbatec one. the Gary Pye saw doesn't come wiht the router table wing like the CT one (just a solid wing instead). I guess I was swayed by the reports that the QA from JET would be better. I am not sure whether it really was inspected better. I haven't eyeballed all that many TS's. Having bought the saw from far away means that I can't just drop in and ask for advice about how to set it up from CT. Well I feel that would be a bit rude anyway. In hindsight, all I really purchased was the QA (if it existed).

Having said all that, the saw itself is great. It is really quiet. If you buy one I am confident you will be happy with it.

You can go on spending on better fences and more expensive TS's and jointer's etc etc but I think plenty of people on this forum have shown that the real need is to spend more time in the shed rather than buy more gear. But if I had the money I would probably spend it.

Steve

Have had the TSC-10HB for about 4 years now. Has never skipped a beat. You wouldn't be disappointed.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

based on the responses there is a compelling argument for the TSC-10HB... just need to summon the courage to fork out the extra cash.

thanks for the input.

Just spotted this on the Carbatec site: New saws probably not an issue.

Mods, please delete if not appropriate.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...rticles/KS-12K

Attention Carba-Tec Customers

In May 2004 we made a change to our model KS-12K table saw. If you purchased this model saw from one of our stores from May 2004 onward please contact your store of purchase on their toll free number at your earliest convenience. There may be a potential problem with your saw.

Once you have contacted us we can ascertain if your saw is affected and proceed with resolving the problem if necessary. When you call please have your purchase information on hand. Invoices or sales dockets are most helpful.

Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter.

Kind Regards,
    SERVICE DEPARTMENT
    CARBA-TEC Pty Ltd
    1 800 658 111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast