Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Speaker parts

Default Speaker parts

I swapped a damaged pair of speakers (rotted surrounds and one damaged cabinet) with one of the people I support - he is blind and I have to constantly rewire and re-arrange his system - you have no idea what a blind man can do with 5 components and rca lads.

Back to the chase

The speakers were Infinity 2 way mini monitors - I thought that I could use the terminal blocks to upgrade my Ditton 25's or Leak 600's - but when I pulled them I realised that the whole crossover network was mounted on the back. Too good to destroy.

Any use to anyone (will include the tweeters)

Neil

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by brontehls View Post
    I swapped a damaged pair of speakers (rotted surrounds and one damaged cabinet) with one of the people I support - he is blind and I have to constantly rewire and re-arrange his system - you have no idea what a blind man can do with 5 components and rca lads.

Back to the chase

The speakers were Infinity 2 way mini monitors - I thought that I could use the terminal blocks to upgrade my Ditton 25's or Leak 600's - but when I pulled them I realised that the whole crossover network was mounted on the back. Too good to destroy.

Neil
    What model Infinity? Infinitesimal? aka: 0.1? Cast alloy enclosure? The model number should be printed on the back. Often impressed into the plastic speaker terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    What model Infinity? Infinitesimal? aka: 0.1? Cast alloy enclosure? The model number should be printed on the back. Often impressed into the plastic speaker terminals.
    Sorry havent checked this stream for a while - will look in store shed later today and post model (2001 strikes my memory)
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by brontehls View Post

Back to the chase

Neil
    You do realise that the speakers can be repaired, they replace the surrounds and make them as good as new. There are a few people that do it, check the trading post.
    I had my Gale bookshelf speakers done and they sound great

Warrick

yeh speakers can be repared to some extent.

I know of places that supply all sorts of speaker parts and materials.

BUT

It is another thing all together to get parts that are just right and yet another to get the speaker cone all glued up straight.

In the pro audio world it is normal to recone and repair speakers but in there a bass driver can be easily worth $1000.
    the kits come with all you need including shims AND the kit is specific to the driver.

repairing HIFI speakers is a completly different kettle of fish. It is almost imposible to guarantee performance and specification.
    There are also lots of people who "think" they can repair speakers, I know a few of these and have seen their work......nothing like as new. Some of the work I would consider failty or broken..... just butchered.

Personaly I have little experience in doing recones but I have some very close friends who have plenty of experience.......One bloke i know buys old burned out speakers as a perference and recones them, he has done many hundreds of recones

most of the HIFI boys just try to glue on a replacement surround that fits, without any further effort.

If you want to do a proper job it is necessary to remove the dust cap, shim the voice coil and then fit a replacement surround that is similar to what was there if you can get one then fit a replacement dust cap

some of the electronics chains even sell replacement speaker surrounds, but they also sell bags of replacement VCR & audio belts that cant possibly fit much at all.

Sure it might be worth a go, but is it realy worth the trouble with HIFI gear as cheap as it is these days.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Default Damaged speakers

Thanks Soundman

Both my Leals and my Celestions have had the surrounds replaced on the bass drivers (and ABR's) this was done by a very reputable firm on the lower North Shore in Sydney - you can probably work out from that who I am talking about - don't know if I am supposed to mention companies by name. Anyone needs a name pm me - not cheap but I am very satisfied with the work and the sound.

I go back to the days of rebuilding KEF concertos into all sorts of enclosures - I even did a set in round spun concrete globes at one stage.

The point is that these infinity RS2001 speakers were stuft, both bass/midrange surrounds gone - spiders weak and voice coils dragging. dust caps - 1 missing and the other dented. Both boxes had been damaged by sitting on a damp floor and the chip board had swelled to the extent that one box had only the baffle board saveable.

12 seconds thought in that equation.

If anyone wants the parts pm me.

Neil