Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pop rivet fix, for an old hand plane.

I bought a reasonably clean, “Made in England”, Rapier 400, hand plane, at the last tool sale in Hawthorn (Melbourne) two Sundays ago, it was all there and original, except for one small part, the lateral adjuster was completely missing. Whilst the ability to skew the blade accurately and easily, by simply applying lateral pressure is an asset, it isn’t strictly a requirement. A soft tap using a soft tipped hammer is surprisingly accurate, if a bit cumbersome.

The surprising thing though, was the quite successful use of a “Pop Rivet” to fit a lateral adjuster from another plane of similar size and vintage. To be honest, I never in my wildest dreams thought of using a pop rivet. Being a ground feeder in the purchase of these kinds of tools, I don’t really lash out. I paid $10.00 for the Rapier; sitting alongside it, was an extremely sorry Australian made Carter hand plane, with most of the important bits missing, except it did have a lateral adjuster that was about the correct size for the Rapier, the Carter cost me $5.00

During the last week, I fiddled with the Rapier somewhat to make it into a worthy addition to its bigger sibling, my Rapier 500, purchased in the fifties by my Grandfather. The blade interestingly, apart from surface rust was almost pristine, but required sharpening, this was duly done and the lot was put together and it works very well.

I then turned to the Carter and thought about switching the lateral adjuster, in a short time I had it off and just for the hell of it, decided to see how it would look in the Rapier. Looking around for a suitable 1/8” whatever, I pulled out a 1/8” pop rivet; it looked as though it was made for it. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I pulled out a long 1/8” steel pop rivet and “popped” it on, the amount of friction was perfect, as though I had put in a regular rivet and hammered it perfectly.

Mick.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Mick,
    Good bit of thinking there. Looks like a good usable plane. I take it they are another copy of stanley and in the same class as record.

Mick ,
    here are a couple of other suggestions as well as the pop rivet one.
    Not sure how Old _Picker eventually solved his problem.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Orraloon, I believe they are a generic type of fifties hand plane, common in the cheaper end of the market.

Knowing my grandfather's parlous monetary position, he possibly would have liked a more refined tool, but this, I think, was all he could afford. That is, the Rapier 500 hand plane.

Woodlee, I'm not really sure about what you are referring to, there isn't either a link or a name. But I agree, there are many ways to keep something running.

Mick.

Mick,
    Reason I asked is I had not seen one before But I know there were a lot of British made copies of stanley. I have a No 4 Span plane (english made) that I bought in Scotland in the 70tes. I could not afford a stanley at the time. In those days record also was a budget copy. I still have the plane and it has served me well. I have to admit the blade does not hold an edge quite as long as the older stanleys but not bad all round. So far I have never seen another span plane.

Regards
    John

John, this new to me Rapier plane, is the second one I have ever seen, which was really why I bought it.

For the cost and a bit of fiddling, I have something that will and can be used by a nephew, the 500 Rapier is just too much weight for his small frame, so this has been perfect addition.

Mick.