Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bowl Shapes

Question Bowl Shapes

Hi all.
    Can anyone suggest easy ways of determining nice shapes to turn. I know that there are books available which give examples of bowl shapes but would like to know if there are any web sites which give the same. I guess I am just after basic profiles that are generally accepted as the "correct" way of doing things. Otherwise I'm relying on my relatively inexperienced eyes!
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Gooday.

Steve, don't limit yourself to wooden turned items. Check out glasses, vases, ceramics etc. and try to duplicate these.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Ian () Robertson
    "We do good turns every day"

Talking

G'day Steve

Go to as many woodturning exhibitions as poss. You will only expand your design skills by expanding your mind at these events. One of the best is the Australian Woodturners Exhibition on in Melb. 15 - 18 June I realise this won't be of much help if you are in Canbera. However making a pilgrimage to the Working With Wood Show in Sydney 16 - 19th March will help.

You could also try to attending such events as Wagga Wagga Turnabout 17 - 18 March. Turnaround DownUnder in Sept. etc. Try our WOODEVENTS PAGE

Vicmarc Turn 2000 at Newcastle next weekend will have some of the best turners in the world holding seminars etc. There are literally hundreds of such events held throughout the country every year.

Failing all else get a piece of paper and draw a flowing bent line from left to right. Next place a fair sized mirror on the right (or left) end of the line with the mirror pointing to the other end of the line and at 90deg to the paper, look at the paper and reflection at the same time and you should see a full bowl shape. You can move the mirror around to get different design ideas, shapes & sizes. Draw a different shape line and you will get another set of designs, etc. etc. etc.

Hope you can understand the above. Good luck and have fun with it.

Cheers
    Neil

PS There is no correct way of doing things only suggested ways and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Be an individual. If you make it and would be happy to exhibit it to others then you have done well. If not then you have probably had fun in the making and it will become another learning experience for you. What more can we ask from life. (Being paid for it would be good!) Also remember not everyone has the same taste so some will love your designs whilst others may hate them. So what!

KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.