Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Spokeshave - Stanley 151 vs Record A51

G'day mates,

Can you tell me the difference between these 2 spokeshaves?

I read somewhere the Stanley 151 is based on the Stanley 51 but with the adjustable blade extension.

How is the Record A51 different from the Stanley 151? To me, the Record A51 spokeshave looks similar to the Stanley 151.

Do you know if their blades are the same size? This will make finding an aftermarket replacement blade much simpler.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Cheers

GUNN

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Funny - I have one of each brand, & they look near identical, apart from colour, but since I've never tried to change blades, I can't be 100% sure. Will have a squizz tonight.

I can tell you they are both pretty ordinary tools, though. I have bought a pair of LV shaves in the last few years (the wooden handled ones). Twice the price, but at least twice as good - good steel in (thick) blades & a fine mouth. I keep the old ones for rough work & because one was my dad's so has sentimental value.
    Cheers,
    IW

Ian,

Thanks for sharing. I am thinking the Record should be good enough for a newbie. In which case, I can change the blades to high quality ones as an upgrade.

Definitely will never be at par with the LV, LN or Veritas, but an upgrade path nonetheless.

Maybe rough work is all I am cut out to do .

Cheers

GUNN

GUNN, I don't see why the Record/Stanley spokeshaves can't be made to function a lot better than stock-standard, if you are prepared to fiddle a bit. Job number one would be to flatten the bed properly. They come as-is straight from the mould, with no machining of the blade bed whatever. I've seen a thread on this (was it on this BB? - Can't remember). Anyway, that person used a very thin layer of epoxy to form a nice flat bed. It's a bit hard to get a decent file in there, so it's a hassle unless you have access to milling equipment! The next simple upgrade is to add a thicker blade, of which there are several makes available. Apparently, the Veritas blades physically fit the Record/Stanleys, but the adjustor slots are much wider. Either you put up with the backlash in the adjustors due to the much wider slot, or cobble up some washers to pack them up a bit. Apart from an arguably better class of steel in the Veritas blades, it's a lot thicker, which should cut down on chatter, & closes the throat up, so the shave should perform a lot better on cranky grain. I have been meaning to swap one of my Veritas blades into the old Stanley just to try it, but haven't done so, yet. I will give it a go sometime soon & let you know what I think.

I like the Veritas shaves because they fit my hands better and feel more 'natural' to hold for both push & pull cuts. The thicker blades have much less of a tendency to chatter, & the finer mouth gives a much cleaner cut on changing grain. Because of the handle/body configuration, the tool has less of a tendency to roll on a push cut, which you'll appreciate after long use. However, I used the Stanley style shaves (flat & round-bottomed) for many a long year, quite successfully - they are a good entry-point, & a bit of fettling should get you a better tool & teach you a bit about their mysteries.
    Avagooday,
    IW

Gunn,
    I have a stanley 151 with a flat sole and a record a151 with a rounded sole. The blades are interchangeable. If I need a blade half way through a job I grab the other one and keep going. From what I can see the records are an exact copy of stanley.
    Regards
    John

John, Ian,

Thank you guys for the info. This is very useful to a newbie like me. I will source for a used Stanley or Record 151, probably from Hans and take it from there.

Good to know there are aftermarket blades readily available for them.

I am hoping to use them to round out the edge of some yet to be built benches. I will practice on some scraps and see how it goes.

Cheers and thanks again.

GUNN