Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Jig for vertical drilling

Ive just about completed building a Joiner's workbench and now have to drill the dog holes (a full grid) in the bench top.

It's critical that these be straight so it's not a free-hand" job.

Does anyone know of a simple jig (to be made or purchased but preferably made) that will assist

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Jig for vertical drilling

I have an el-cheapo bench drill press (less than $70-00 now I believe, but I paid $90 four or five years ago).

I have successfully used it for similar jobs in a number of different situations with a very simple modification.

I have cut a smaller length of pipe (about 175mm long, but check to make sure that the bit you want to use is just about touching the work surface) which I use with the base back to front and bolted to a bit of 19mm MDF. When setting up don't forget the drill has a limited travel - in my case 50mm. Chop a hole in the MDF big enough to see what you are doing, (mine is 65 dia because that's the size of the hole saw I had at the time).

Make the MDF bit long enough to span the table and clamp it both sides.

Most people would just drill the sucker, or use a square to get some idea of alignment, but I can only seem to get within about 30° of plumb when I do that.

I originally did it to see if it would work, and was pretty happy with the results, but look forward seeing to other solutions!
    Cheers,

P

As they say, seek and you will find, or use the seach facility and you will get the following http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ighlight=drill which will answer your question.

Peter.

I recently had to drill holes into the end of bench legs I was making to take T-Nuts and bolts (for adjustment purposes).

I used a few offcuts and drew diagonals on both sides (end grain) to get a center, and then drilled a hole through it. Took about 4 or 5 attempts (with a square as a guide) but finally managed to get one that was good enough.

The guide worked like a champ.

hi cryptic,
    just reading this tonight at work . get 2 pieces of 75mm sq scrap (size doesnt really matter) screw or nail them together to form a L shape now turn it on its side so the L is viewed from above . put the drill bit in the corner of the L to use as a guide to drill your holes. the corner should keep your drill sq to the bench.
    ive not tried this so some practice might be needed.
    hope you understand my lingo, seeyasoon mik.

Dude, don't worry about all that stuff.
    Bunnys or M10 have a cheap portable drill jig for around $25.00. When you look at it, it has a round base and 2 metal posts with return springs, it clamps around the front of a drill ( usually where the second handle clamps on ). Its not as accurate as a drill press proper but your not drilling metal to within thousands of an inch, this jig doesn't just surfice it actually works well. I use it myself to drill hard to get at dowel holes.
    Anyway just another suggestion.

just got this im email from woodworkingtips, may help

=-=-=-=

It's tough to beat a drill press for making clean, accurate, and most
    importantly, straight holes in wood. But by making a set of simple drill
    guide blocks, you can get the same accurate, straight holes with a
    hand-held drill. To see how I made the blocks, click the following link:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040227wb.html
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!