Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carba-Tec scroll saws

Hi All!

I'm a newbie in the forums and scroll saws in general. I've been reading through this and other forums trying to figure out which saw is best to invest in. Mostly I've seen good thngs said about the old Deltas; however, I also read that they are no longer available from Carba-tec. It seems the Trupro is now the entry-level's choice (if they can afford it).

I've gone to Carba-tec's website and saw that they still have scroll saws on offer. Has anyone used these before? Why can't I find any mention of them anywhere? Are they so far behnd in quality compared with the old Deltas?

Regards,

DodzD

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The 16" looks nearly identical to my Ryobi. The main difference is that the Ryobi has a light, where the CarbaTec one doesn't. The Ryobi also doesn't have a separate power switch - the speed knob is also the power switch. The Ryobi saws are much maligned, but to be honest mine isn't too bad. I had to exchange it a few times to get a good one. The new ones have a coating on the table and it was bubbled in a few places on the first ones I got. Once I got a good one though I'm happy. It comes with adapters to take pinless blades, and mine hasn't ever had a pinned blade on it. The blade change isn't too slow either (although you do use an allan key - it's not too bad). The main thing is that the lower arm is totally enclosed inside a dust collection box. I took off one side of this box to give access to the lower arm and it's quite OK now. The main thing is that it could be heavier. It moved a bit while you're cutting. I will be bolting mine down to a stand when I work out the best place for it.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

How about this?
    Can't be too bad for $60 inc postage.

GMC Scrollsaw

Growing old is much better than the alternative!

It does not use pinless blades so your selection of blades and tasks it will do are limited.

I bought a gmc, very unhappy with the finish on the table so I bought a delta.
    Still got a brandnew unused gmc hanging out in the shed.
    Might let the grandkids use it when they get a little older.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    How about this?
    Can't be too bad for $60 inc postage.

GMC Scrollsaw
    You would need to make sure there is some sort of adapter available to take pinless blades.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

Default Carba-Tec scroll saws

Thanks to all your replies. However, I am still in the dark about the Carba-Tec saws. Peter, Sprog and Echidna, did your posts mean that the Carba-Tec scroll saws are overpriced for its quality?

I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried the 18" scroll saw.

To anyone going to the Maleny expo, have fun! I wish I could go but it's a bit too far for the family to travel.

Don't be a mug like I was. I started with cheap saws. Four in all and found that none of them would do the job I wanted.

A lot of people buy cheap and loose interest as a result of poor tools but could be good crafts people if they had something worth working with.

I bought a Tru Pro that is a Hegna look alike and I couldn't be happier. It does need Hegna clamps top and bottom.

looking through books I have noticed that Hegna is the saw featured mostly in working photoes so I guess something that has been built from the same plans has to be good.

Red Gum

DotzD, the first thing I'd ask you is.... what are you trying to accomplish with your saw? What kind of things are you planing on using it for?
    I you want to do things like Segmentation/Intarsia or toys with few inside cuts then I really don't think you need to get an expensive saw. If on the other hand you are planing on doing fiddly fretwork then yes... don't bother going cheap.
    To me one of the most important things is how quick the blade change is... if it's too cumbersome I'd loose interest real fast. A lot of the other things can be fixed.

A friend of mine recently bought a GMC.... first thing she wanted to buy was a conversion kit.... until I ask Helen ( Harris Traders) and even tho they sell them she told us to look through the instruction book first..... sure enough... a bit burried there was a chapter telling us how to convert it without having to buy a kit!
    Sure it's not as good as an expensive saw, but at least until you're sure you really like scrolling it's a great start.... my friend bought her's used for $60..... that's a fair price to pay to try a new hobby I think.

Juvy
    Woodcrafters Haven
    Wodonga - Supplies for Turners and Woodcrafters
    Mobile 0407261703

Default Carba-tec scroll saws

Redgum, thanks for the advice. I am thinking alng the same lines.

Keju, i have a few projects in mind lined up as I progress my skill. I am going to try a few toys and eventually move on to some intricate fretwork. I am trying to over expect my pace and am prepared to do this for the long run. I don't want to get a $200 quality (not price) saw and then spend $500 again as an upgrade in two years. I'd rather buy a saw now that I will love through my progression.

I apologise, I forgot to mention one thing why I am asking about Carba-tec, I currently live less than 200 m from a Carba-tec branch. I am prepared to spend for a TruPro but would like to buy local when I can.

Secondly, I am just really curious why no one has mentioned the brand except when discussing the demise of the Delta?

Cheers!

First off.... TruPro and the WMS saw are the same saw... different name...
    Second...... a lot of people are talking about the TruPro/WMS , at least around here... those saws are next in line after the Delta. The Delta just happened to be the best of the reasonably priced saws.... with it gone the next one up price wise is the TruPro/WMS..... after that things become really expensive.
    The way it looks tho, there really aren't that many choices for the kind of saws serious scrollers are after. Heard that there are problems getting the Excalibur.... they're all sold out.... and some rumor about Hegner quitting. That pretty much leaves the TruePro/WMS and the Proxxon... never used that one so can't say anything about it, think it might not be any better then what you can buy at Bunnings.
    Even the good ones have problems tho, most need a bit of TLC before they do what they are meant to do. Seems none work the way they should straight out of the box.

Juvy
    Woodcrafters Haven
    Mobile 0407261703

Quote Originally Posted by keju View Post
    First off.... TruPro and the WMS saw are the same saw... different name...
    I have to ask, what is a WMS and TruPro saw?

Ciao,

M.

If you want to by localy and are close to Carba Tec then why not buy their Hegna look alike. I think it is the same saw. Someone else might be able to confirm this.

I bought Tru Pro from Carrolls. They are in Gelong Vic and I am in Central NSW. That distance hasn't worried me because the service from Carrolls is exelent.

Interesting coment that Hegna might pack up. It has run through my mind that they may have sold their dies to Tru Pro and that saw although made away from Hegna is actually a Hegna from a lower priced manufacuring come Asian company. This type of thing is all around us now including the motor industry

Red Gum

Can somebody tell me what the Hegner clamps are?
    How/where do I use them?
    Pictures of them?

And REDGUM, how's the TruPro saw? I'm about to buy a scroll saw, have been using a dremel scrol saw, which really is a toy. I mainly cut from 1/8 to 1/2 inch 3-9 ply, for model (large) aircraft building.
    The Dremel was cheap, but i vibrates and wanders all over the place, so it's a real challenge to cut formers in a straight line.
    Thanks

The Hegner clamps are the blade holders made for the Hegner, they are made from better material, last longer and do their job much better then the ones supplied with the other three saws ( trupro, wms, carba tec)
    I don't have either a Hegner saw or their clamp system ..... googling it this came up tho:
    Hegner Clamp

From what you told us I'd think you'd be fine with most, but the very cheapest saws.... even your dremel should do the job.( several overseas people use it to do some beautiful work)
    Most saws seem to need a bit of tweaking, none seem to work right straight out of the box.
    One of the biggest vibration problems can be overcome by clamping the saw to the table or if you don't have to move it at all , bolt it down. Also use one of those rubber matts under it.
    As for cutting straight... that's difficult for most people simply because it is after all a scroll saw.... made to cut curves. The blades naturally want to cut to one side because of the burr in the back of them ( from being pressed)..... so you have to compensate by pushing a bit diagonally instead of straight ..... also sanding the burr in the back could help..... I've never bothered tho....
    A lot of the time it really comes down to just a heck of a lot of practise

Juvy
    Woodcrafters Haven
    Mobile 0407261703

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast