Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default .050 bar grove for 032AV

we have been using an ms170 for fencing and stuff and the chain on it rips like buggery i can rip a fencepost down quicker with it than i can with the 034 with a 25" bar and skip chain.

what i want to do is put the chain off the small saw on the big one. so i went into the chainsaw mob and asked them. they said it was unsafe and they would not sell me the bits. when i said that i had heard of othres that did it they said that it could not be done anyway. i belive they just didnt want to.

so my question is can i buy a 20" bar with a .050 grove and 3/8 L/O nose sproket and a 3/8 L/O drive sprocket for my 032av?

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

try using a full tooth chain should cut much quicker than a skip tooth , and get a still dealer that is helpfull , the sprocket may be hard to get as its an old saw . try centrephone that guy has forgotten more than most dealers know , cheers bob

duno where you get the idea full tooth chain cuts quicker than skip.
    have you ever used skip chain?

i will give a few dealers a ring when i get time.

www.carlweiss.com.au

there is a whole range of origan bars that can do it.

i have always supported this particular chainsaw mob but am verry disapinted with this they didnt even try it was just a streight out no.

i will take the model numbers in and see what they say.

www.carlweiss.com.au

have used both types of chains for over 30 years . crosscut is faster with normal teeth chain thats why they are used .

a sharp skip chain on a good saw cuts at least twice as fast as regular chain. when cutting accross the grain that is.

however it is hard to controll and grabs in like ????.

normal chain is used because it is mutch safer and most dealers dont even know what it is.

what are you guys opinions of chain speed. that is the amount of teeth on the sproket. i can get either 7 or 8 tooth sprokets. i am partticuarly interesteb in bobl's opinion

www.carlweiss.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by weisyboy View Post
    so my question is can i buy a 20" bar with a .050 grove and 3/8 L/O nose sproket and a 3/8 L/O drive sprocket for my 032av?
    That's what I run (20" bar with 0.050" groove) on my teeny mill (with 50cc Homelite) except I have an Oregon hard nose bar. Even better I use low profile chain full comp (not skip) this thing rips EXTREMELY well.

On the BIL mill I have tried a couple of (skip and non-skip, square ground, full and semichisel) of 0.063" chains. I don't have any specific numbers to prove this but my gut feel is the fastest and most lasting chain is what Stihl call their "semi-chisel rapid micro" (RM Stihl #3991). I use a 3/8" version with a 10º cutter angle. It gives a far better finish and is definitely faster over the day than my square ground skip chains.

The square ground full skip (RSLFK 3644) works great for about half a slab in hardwood and then slowly degrades till after 2 slabs it's slower that all the others. It works fine in softwoods but is a pig to sharpen. I can sharpen the 3991 almost as fast as the 3664 even though the 3664 has half the cutters.

this stuff is full comp duno what its called bit it is 3/8" L/O and .050". it comes standard on the ms170. like i said i can rip a fencepost quicker and with mutch less efort wiht the 30cc saw and a 14" bar than the 62cc wiht a 25" bar. so the way i see it is that if i put the chain of the small saw on the big saw i should be able to fly threw them.

www.carlweiss.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by weisyboy View Post
    this stuff is full comp duno what its called bit it is 3/8" L/O and .050". it comes standard on the ms170. like i said i can rip a fencepost quicker and with mutch less efort wiht the 30cc saw and a 14" bar than the 62cc wiht a 25" bar. so the way i see it is that if i put the chain of the small saw on the big saw i should be able to fly threw them.
    The main reason I heard they (Stihl) don't like anyone putting this stuff on longer bars is that it stretches more than regular chain and so can possibly come off. I think if you are careful it can be OK as has been demonstrated by CS millers in the US even given that they have much softer wood. I reckon it would work very well for even very long bars with water chain cooling.