Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Stanley router

Default Stanley router

G'day mates! Newbie here. Stumbled on this site looking for template guides for my Stanley Model .04 with base 82902. This is a 9A router and is marked "Industrial", 2700 RPM. I bought this router, new, in the late 70's and it's my first and only. I like woodworking but don't get opportunity to use it regularly. I am surprised to find that this unit is considered vintage. (I guess I must be that too.) Anyway, I would appreciate knowing if guides are made to fit this router and if so, what the designation is and where they can be bought. Is there a newer base that would fit the router that would accept common templates?
    I also have a Cascade Tool Co. shaper for which I am making a roller cabinet base. (Hence the reason I had the Stanley out.) It is a CAS 15 wood shaper with a 1 1/2 hp. motor wit interchangeable 1/2" and 3/4" spindles, cast iron table (weighs a ton and so does the motor) I have not been able to find any information on the internet about this shaper and would like to get an owner's manual. (The phone nuber on the brochure apparently now belongs to some kinky service that says that I can talk to women anywhere in the world.) The tool is symilar to the Grizzly G1035 which I do find on the net.
    Any help on either item would be greatly appreciated. George

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome aboard George.

The forum operates out of Australia and the majority of members come from here, although there are a few internationals who are regulars. Some of the US ones may be able to be more helpful.

I have been around woodwork since I was born in the 50's as my father was an all trades qualified builder, i.e. after much study and practical work, he qualified as a carpenter, cabnetmaker, plumber, electrician etc. This was pre WW2 and was very rare back then and unknown now.

Stanley as a brand has been well known and revered here for a long time, but primarily in the hand tools area rather than power tools. I have no recollection of coming accross Stanley power tools, but they might exist in small numbers.

From a general perspective, i am guessing that your Stanley router has a large base opening with no way to hold a 11/4 in (from memory) template guide. There are two solutions that I will be taking with the 3hp Mak that i have had since the early 80s. The first is that I am in the market for a lighter more compact unit for some tasks. Aussies have a high regard for the 1400W Tritons, but there will be others to consider as well. This approach gives a medium weight unit that accepts guides etc, has a regulated variable speed, soft start, and still has enough grunt to do some serious work.

The other approach is to buy or make a replacement base glide for the router with the centre set up for the template guides. I believe that these are available at Woodcraft etc in the States. If you are a little canny, one of the tricks here is that instread of drilling the screw holes accurately to size and countersinking them so that the screw heads are just below the surface, drill them about 1/16th oversize,counterbore them and use flat head machine screws. Then when you set up a guide, you can chuck a test piece in the router, seat the guide, and microadjust the glideplate position so that the router spindle is perfectly centred in the guide, then lock down all of the fixing bolts and set up the correct bits etc. This is better than having the hole for the guide oversize and trying to centre the guide in an oversize hole..

Sorry, I can't help out with a manual for the other machine.

Mal

G'day, George. I can't help much with your immediate query. But to add to Mal's (malb) suggestion, you can enhance alignment with a specific tool: Milescraft 30018 from the Turn Lock kit. It has concentric shafts, 1/4" at one end, and 1/2" at the other. Place the shaft in the appropriate collet, and use a bushing for the other. Then tighten the base. Then remove, add the appropriate bit and desired bushing. The Turn Lock kits should be available at Lowe's or Home Depot in USA.

And welcome to the best woodworking site in the world. I found it by accident too, and couldn't stay away.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'll be visiting the site regularly. George

Is this the mob for your shaper:

Cascade Tool Co. (800) 235-0272
    Box 848 In WA 236-027M-F 7-7 PT
    Mercer Island, WA
    Router and shaper bits. All kinds.
    </pre>
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Yes it is Pat. I called the number for the company (I have thve the brochure) and a lady answered saying that it is her number now for some 15 years and every now and then she gets a call for Cascade and she has no idea where Cascade Tool is. As I said earlier, when I call the 800 number I get a come on to talk to women of my choice. Different kind of "too company" I suppose. If you have a lead on where they might be contacted, I would appreciate knowing. George

Bugger, may as well Grizzly, as they may know, they are in the same state.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Hello again, George. Regarding the router base plate, here's a link for Milescraft: http://www.milescraft.com/router/1200.html

This "universal" base doesn't include your router in the list of applications, but it has enough holes to probably adapt as mal suggested.

In addition to its own bushings, the TurnLock kit includes a bushing that accepts Porter-Cable bushings if you come across them, e.g. at a garage sale as I did.

Regarding Cascade Tool, AnyWho Yellow Pages found none within 500 miles of Seattle WA, but found two within 500 miles of Portland OR:

5775 Jean Rd Ste 106
    Lake Oswego, OR 97035 (9.23 miles)
    (503) 636-9999

5875 Lakeview Blvd
    Lake Oswego, OR 97035 (9.38 miles)
    (503) 595-4230

These might be the same business, and one or both could be successors to the gang you're after. Or not, of course. Yellow pages doesn't generally include toll-free numbers, but at 3 time zones away you might be able to game the system.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the tip on the universal base, Joe. I managed to call the company and they have a few 6" bases left but they have replaced that item with a 7" base that will also fit the 6" and has a greater variety of bushings in the kit, plus, the base can be had in metal? (i think is what I heard over a poor telephone connection) for only a few dollars more. I ordered the 7" in that it also makes for a more stable platform. Good thing they had the item because I took my base plate off to take to Home Depot to see if they had one to fit the router and while checking out with orher items left my base at the register. The next morning the chek out girl remembered seeing the "strange looking" item and said she placed it in the returned items bin to be "re-stocked". This is strange since the item was clearly used and they don't carry anything like it in the store. Needless to say it could not be found and had probably been tossed in the garbage. (It always amazes me how little the clerks in these stores know about the products that they sell or items related to the product.)
    I tried the phone numbers Joe suggested for the Cascade shaper and get a recorded welcome to some telephone system. I'm convinced that they are no longer in business and belive that the product was just marketed under that name and not made by/for them. What puzzles me is that I can find no trace of the prior existence on the internet. I guess their demise might pre-date the electronic info age.
    It is amazing that I went to the other end of the world to meet you fellows to get help with my problem by way of a company in my own back yard. Great times we live in (or in which we live). Thanks again for you help. George