Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default stuff for and up for Rockers jigs

Stuff for
    I really love the jigs that Rocker has designed but I was unwilling to spend too much on a dial gauge, so I searched for a cheaper supplier of dial gauges. I found a 67mm dia metric dial gauge that will measure 10mm in 0.01mm increments for just $28.60 inc.
    The suppliers name is AIDCO. They live at Salisbury in Brisbane and can be contacted by email at [email protected]. or phone (07) 3277 6155 They also supply cheap velcro sanding discs.

Stuff up
    On a more serious note I made up the tenon jig without too much thought to what I was doing. Now, I have a Jet Supersaw table saw with a sliding table. This means that the mitre groove on my table is actually to the right of the saw blade rather than on the left. So, guess who has a tenon jig that presents the timber right at the front of the jig and has the timber stop/support on the wrong side of the the timber to be tenoned.

It might be a good idea for the instructions to include some sort of a warning about this for future makers of the jig
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Bob,

Ooops. Sorry about that. I don't think there is any way of modifying a jig that was built to suit the left hand mitre slot so that it could be made to work on the other side of the blade. Perhaps you can raffle it at your local woodworking club, and then modify the design to make another to work in the right-hand slot.

Seems to be one of those lessons that we woodworkers have to learn all too frequently - sh*t happens.

Rocker

Bob,

The 10 mm range of the $28 dial gauge that you found is a bit of a limitation. Most regular dial gauges have a range of 25 mm. If you fit one with a 10 mm range to your tenoning jig, you would either need to make the dial-guage base-block adjustable, as on my morticing jig, or else use spacers clamped to the dial-guage stop block, to effectively increase its range.

Rocker

Unhappy

I totally agree with you. Dammit.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.