Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: First timer

Default First timer

Hi Guys and Girls
    I,m brand new to ornamental turning but have been turning bowls, boxes, pens, etc, etc for a few years. saw the threads about ornamental turning and in particular those about rose-engines and got interested. So..... after a bit of fiddling, I have just about completed building my first rose-engine and propose to experiment with some ornamental work as soon as I get a chance.
    have included a couple of pic's and will follow-up with some turnings when i have more time.
    Cheers Noel

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome Noel (pshycopig)

I am also on making a Rose Engine slow going though.

Now thats a real nice Rose Engine you have

Like your shaft carriers what size is the shaft length & diam, smik looking alloy blocks.

Very interested in the cam arm at the rear any chance of another photo of it

Ray

welcome Noel loosk like a ripper cannot wait to see your first piece
    Toni

Nice setup, Noel.

The two-part pillow blocks should make cam changes easy. I also like the movable rubber for cam selection. I assume you have something like T-nuts in the base to engage bolts for the vise carrier. If the present range is found inadequate, you could easily add more T-nuts to the base, or more bolt holes in the vise carrier.

And welcome aboard.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Noel I neglected to say your board my not be wide enough to move the sliding compound vice around to the sides or back of work/bowls we have gone to a 500 and had to go to 900 wide.

Ray
    Thanks for the positive response. The shaft I have used is turned to 30mm diam by 500mm in length, and stepped down to 25mm for the bearing surfaces. I have a Nova DVR/XP lathe and have made an adaptor to suit 11/4'' by 8 thread so that I can use my vicmarc chucks. This way I can do the bulk turning on the Nova and then transfer everything to the rose-engine without needing to change anything. The cam carrier is turned from a 100mm bar and stepped down to 50mm for the cam centres.
    if you want any more details I am happy to supply them to you. The most difficult part was turning the cams themselves. I managed to get several pieces of 15mm thick pvc from the local Menzel plastics shop for the cams, and found it fairly easy to turn on my lathe - just very messy. The rocing cams were pretty easy to make but had to think about the pulsating cam. Eventually decided to grind down an old spade bit and used that to turn out the face indentations - bit rough but I hope to improve as I go along. The pulsing follower was made from a small bearing mounted on the end of an old socket-wrench handle, and the rubber is just a piece of the pvc cut to suit.
    You are also quite right about the width of the board I am using. This is just while I set up the unit. I intend to mount the engine on a steel plate about 900mm wide and instead of using t-nuts to hold down the cross-slide, I am intending to use two magnetic twist locks - this way I should have the ability to place the cross-slide almost anywhere on the base, and hopefully, allow me to access almost any portion of the work with relative ease. I will post a photo when I have mounted the mag-locks.
    Cheers
    Noel

I have included a couple of shots of the pulsating cam, the cam-follower, and the indexing set-up.

Ray
    Forgot to post photos of the shaft and cam-carrier.
    Cheers
    Noel

Noel totally blown away hooray: well engineered thanks for the in depth and additional photo's.

Obviously you have access to all your needs for making what ever it takes even if you have to butcher a spade bit and old ratchet handle

That shaft is an incredible idea, the black bar I thought was your return spring set up nice got a torsion rubber in there I guess to allow flex for easy of relocation of index hole.

Speaking of return springs notice you have only one fitted do you intend to fit a second one for better stability and bounce , This would depend of course on the cams used and cam follower type used.

Have you given it a trial run of course not no sawdust around it.

What devices are you going to use for powering cutters
    Dremel?
    Router?
    or Grinder converted

or like myself a waterpump motor as well converted.

Hey Noel has she had her maiden voyage yet? How did she go?
    Love to see your work
    Toni

Magic looking bit of kit Can't wait to see some output from it

How did you machine/shape the cams????.
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Hi TTIT, thanks for accolades.
    Shaping the cams was an execise in itself. first I marked out the lobes with a compass, then bored out holes equi-distance around the rim of an 190mm circle, using the indexing on my wood-lathe (Nova XP).
    Then I c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-ly cut the corners of each lobe on the bandsaw, then smoothed everything up using a rotaty sander in my drill press.
    A bit messy, but needs must as they say.
    I am also in thr throes of building myself a small cnc router lathe, so next set of cams should be a doddle compared to these - (and also probably a lot more accurate).
    Anyway, as I bought the material for the cams from a local platic supplier, and got enough 16mm thick matrial to make eight cams, all for $20, I wasn't too worried about stuffing a couple up.
    Cheers
    noel

Noel the Rose Engine can be used to make the cams/rosetts

Hi Wheelin
    Yeah - you are absolutely right - jus don't tell my dearly beloved - she would never let me live it down.
    Talk about slow --- it wasn't until i had 'hand-crafted' the first two cams that i realised about using the #%@&*@# engine to turn its own cams.
    Oh well - onwards and upwards - or something like that.
    Cheers
    noel

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPig7 View Post
    Hi Guys and Girls
    I,m brand new to ornamental turning but have been turning bowls, boxes, pens, etc, etc for a few years. saw the threads about ornamental turning and in particular those about rose-engines and got interested. So..... after a bit of fiddling, I have just about completed building my first rose-engine and propose to experiment with some ornamental work as soon as I get a chance.
    have included a couple of pic's and will follow-up with some turnings when i have more time.
    Cheers Noel
    Hi Noel. Just noticed the thread for the first time. Great effort and beautifully finished work. Also noticed you are a local for me so I hope we might be able to catch up in the future.

Cheers
    Edwards

These things are fascinating, maybe one of these days.