Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Ozito Planer Jointer

G'day
    I am interested in buying either a combo planer/jointer or individual items. I have been told the that Ozito is not a bad unit for the money. AS I have noticed some favourable comments about some other Ozito products I thought I would have a look at it.
    Frankly it seems to be to light and flimsy to dot the job with the thickness settings arrangement vey sloppy.
    Has anybody used one of these and what is the general opinion of the units.

\\regards

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've seen this in the shops a couple of times and it certainly is cheap and looks very light. Thicknessers and jointers generally need to be very accurate to be truly useful. For the price and build quality I can't see how it could be accurate. For ocassional light general cleanup work it might be sufficient.

The big advantage of having a thicknesser and jointer is the convenience of being able to size your own rough stock. If you are buying from a timber yard, they usually can do this for you for a small fee. So with a bit of planning and a couple of extra $'s at purchase time, you would probably save money. If you are doing a heap of work, a cheap unit like this probably won't last. You would then need to invest in some more durable gear.

I haven't used this unit. I haven't seen much written about them.

Lyates, Welcome to the site.
    I was not aware they made one so I had a look at the ozito site and there it was. It is a bit hard to judge how it will turn out just by reading the specs. I have the ozito thicknesser and it has performed ok so far. I would expect it to be as good as any of the other brands in the same class of machine. GMC. Ryobi and the other chineese generic jobs. I suspect they are all made by the same mob. It should be ok for ocasional light to moderate work if the fence is rigid and secure. I would not expect it to handle 8'' seasoned spotted gum or ironbark however. I would ask for a demmo. Take along a lump of wood when you check it out. How much are they selling for by the way.
    Regards
    john

Welcome Lyates,

There have been a few threads about this unit - have a seach for "Ozito"
    I found this one from back in June which doesn't sound too favorable - https://www.woodworkforums.com.au/sho...ighlight=Ozito

It will really come down to what you plan to use it for.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Default Ozito Jointer Thicknesser

Thankyou lads for your ad vice and opinions. I don't think I will go ahead with it. Perhaps the smaller benchtop jointer from Carba-tec is better value as is the 12" planer from the same source.

I look forward to gathering interesting and informative information from these pages.

cheers