Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain saw Angle

Ta. I might go to the saw shop and check one out. We could fit a vice to the tailgate of the cruiser. Might make it quicker/easier than doing it squatting on the ground next to the log. It's good to get up and stretch the back every now and then
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I used to file all my chains (round and square ground) freehand until someone mentioned adapting the oregon filing jig to sharpen square ground chain. It so happened that our local bunnys was having a clearance sale and I picked one up at half price and adapted it to this.

I then tried it on round ground chain and was quite pleased with the results so now I use the jig for both types of chains although I still free hand quick touching up between slabs when milling.

RE: "teh 10* down angle is nolonger recomended as it has been discoverd that when you push witht eh file it tilts the tooth away creating this angle.
    " - This is not correct for the Oregon Jig which holds the chain firmly in place - you do have to set the 10º angle when using this jig.

Quote Originally Posted by STAR View Post
    Sigidi, Like you I am always willing to learn.

Just say when, and I will try to schedule that free week end. I think you were thinking of camping there overnight, if so, I will try to bring my horse float up which has been set up for camping when I used to play Polo Crosse and do Campdrafting.
    Yeah Star, I'm planing on a bit of a campout, the boss want's to know what I'm doing withth ekids forth eweekend though I hope she's joking!!
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

I touch the teeth up, freehand, with a file a few times then give it a light grind on the machine.
    That way it removes my poor filing and evens the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigidi View Post
    ...it'd be good if you can get to the sawdust BBQ?
    Have I missed a BBQ notice

Link/details please .
    Neil

Not really, Neil. It started as informal BBQ but somebody invited himself ( Me ) at Carl's abode.

No date has been set because Carl has a few obligations on his plate, I would be happy to camp when the weather warms up a bit, otherwise it might be an early morning trip for some of Sigidi's breakfast.

Star it's okay, you'll have a bit of time, it'll take me a while in the morning to find and catch a pig out Carl's way Failing that sawdust is always a good meal, just ask the guys who want to go shares in cutting... they reckon kids and family can eat that instead of $'s
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei View Post
    Have I missed a BBQ notice

Link/details please .
    Neil it sort of evolved into a BBQ at Weisyboy's joint a bit later on in the year, Carl is making a logisol clone and was talking about different things, then there where questions posted about chainsaw milling, slabbing, different kind of stuff involving milling, Lucas mills etc, so Carl thought of a bit of a get together. I decided to camp for the weekend and bring the lucas, so it's grown into a bit of an event. Those who've had q's about chains/saws Lucas etc have been invited over to it as most of it is a bit easier to see rather than type, that kind of thing.

Phew, (now the boss has gone) it's probably more a reason to get together and chew the fat rather than some big 'educational' weekend

Anyway Carl has said he will post details closer to the time - so there ya go
    Allan.

Yeah I have to agree with the uses of the jig.
    For about 12 years I used a diamond grinder to do the chains on my saws.
    Then a freind and I did a big job up here in Roleystone and he used a jig and file.
    Id never had my saw cut better!
    I bought a jig the next day and havnt looked back.
    When they are set up correctly they give the same angle every time on every tooth, very important for straight even cutting.
    Ive found a cordless drill and a small vice tecscrewed to a log enables you to hold the chainsaw blade steady out in the field.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

I'm a bit Bi when it comes to using a jig. I use a jig almost exclusivley on the slabbing bar as I figure it make a huge difference if I am a little bit out when sharpening it and also the customer may get a sub-standard slab, so I use the jig just about all the time.

On my chainsaw I use a file guide on my file, but hardly ever use the jig, I figure if docking logs to length and cutting off branch stumps, I'm a bit off with sharpening, then it makes no diffence and also keeps my eye in for hand sharpening. THis way I am able to do it anytime I need to

Hope that makes sense
    Allan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12