Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe

Default New Lathe

Been looking for a while for a metal lathe.

Originally wanted to buy a 7x14 mini lathe as an adjunct to my pen turning. Did actually order one from Carbatec but got sick of promises and waiting after 3 months, so looked around for another supplier of the 7x14, didn't like the 7x12 at Hare and Forbes.
    Through another forum member (thanks Mal) I was put on to to Asset Plant & Machinery in Dandenong who also sells the 7x14, at quite a bit below Carbatec. Whilst there I spotted a 9x20 in their catalogue with EVS like the 7x14, one of the main reasons for going for the 7x14. When taking in to account all the extras that come with this lathe it wasn't a lot dearer than the 7x14, so I bought one, ex-stock yeah!

Quite a bit bigger and heavier (135kg) than the 7x14. I made up anew base cabinet for it with 14 drawers for the lathe tooling etc. It has a 750W (1hp) motor.

Steelmaster9x20.jpg 20080907_004_small.jpg

So far I have only turned it on and played with the EVS, that works like a treat, only thing I didn't like is that the digital tacho is mounted flat in the top (very hard to read), so have to make a mod to mount it at 45deg.

20080907_007_small.jpg

Other than that it has a camlock lock on the tailstock rather than the normal nut on the 7x14 and other 9x20 lathes I have seen.

20080907_008_small.jpg

The other thing slightly different is the thread dial being mounted on the headstock side of the apron, rather than the tail stock side.

20080907_009_small.jpg

I got a set of 9 12mm indexable carbide tipped turning tools with it, all up the price was only just a bit more than a standard 9x20 at Hare & Forbes (who also didn't have stock)

20080907_010_small.jpg 20080907_011_small.jpg

So, I will have to learn how to use the beastie now.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 14th July 2017 at 05:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks good BS
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Top job BS

Nice one.
    The cabinet is lot better than mine - lots of drawers.

Did the 4 jaw chuck and the two steadies come with the lathe? If so, then that was an excellent package. The steadies for mine are an option and if I get them from Carbatec, they will cost over $100. I haven't priced a 4 jaw chuck yet.

Beautiful... Nice job on the cabinet too...

Don't get it dirty now.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    Nice one.
    The cabinet is lot better than mine - lots of drawers.

Did the 4 jaw chuck and the two steadies come with the lathe? If so, then that was an excellent package. The steadies for mine are an option and if I get them from Carbatec, they will cost over $100. I haven't priced a 4 jaw chuck yet.
    Yep, 2 steadies, 4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, face plate, MT3 dead centre, MT2 dead centre and various gears for thread cutting. The live centre was not included. They gave me a generous discount so basically the 9 piece tool set cost me nothing. Great people to deal with.

Have ordered a QCTP and various other bits and bobs from CDCO, according to USPS tracking website it cleard Oz customs on Thursday arvo (ordered last Friday week) so should be here on Monday, Aust Post willing.

Wow
    That looks like it is meant for a show room. I would be too scared too use man. Nice work !

Gene

Lovely stuff BS.

The only thing I would recommend considering is putting the whole thing inside a bigger deeper metal tray that extends over the edge of the bench at least on one side. Besides helping to catch swarf, sooner or later you are going to turn something that needs cooling/cutting lube and that stuff will go everywhere including down the back of the cabinet and inside all your drawers. Having a tray that extends over one means you can drain the lube if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Have ordered a QCTP and various other bits and bobs from CDCO, according to USPS tracking website it cleard Oz customs on Thursday arvo (ordered last Friday week) so should be here on Monday, Aust Post willing.
    I ordered last Monday so my order from CDCO should be here soon too. I didn't get a USPS tracking number from Frank though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Lovely stuff BS.

The only thing I would recommend considering is putting the whole thing inside a bigger deeper metal tray that extends over the edge of the bench at least on one side. Besides helping to catch swarf, sooner or later you are going to turn something that needs cooling/cutting lube and that stuff will go everywhere including down the back of the cabinet and inside all your drawers. Having a tray that extends over one means you can drain the lube if needed.
    Thanks Bob, sounds like a plan to me.

I have looked at several sites where the guys have used windscreen washer bottles and pumps to re-circulate lube/coolant.

I'll put it on my "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Thanks Bob, sounds like a plan to me.

I have looked at several sites where the guys have used windscreen washer bottles and pumps to re-circulate lube/coolant.

I'll put it on my "to do" list.
    If you need an intermediate lube delivery solution then something simple like an inverted plastic bottle arrangement as shown in the attachment is one way to go. I have this on my DP and it works surprisingly well.

Accessories like chucks are always a lot dearer to buy after the fact so getting them as part of the package is a good idea.

Swarf will go everywhere. A bigger tray and some sort of lube catching arrangement is a good idea. There are options and you'll work out what you prefer, but turning is a messy business. Also unless it's brass your cuttings should come off as a sharp spring, a tail not individual chips. It's a clue if you've got your feeds and speeds right. Anyway keep that in mind when your setting up your tray and so forth. Sometimes they catch in the chuck and spin round. It can be alarming if your not ready for it, but it's usually harmless as if they catch anything they will break. Be aware they can shred your fingers though so wear gloves or something. I don't, but I've got a feel for it. Until you do you can cut yourself.

Terribly handy things, and good fun.

Edit: Put the carbide away and get some HSS and learn to grind it. Carbide needs heavy cuts to work and your much better off learning on HSS. 1/4" will do to start although 3/8 isn't much dearer. If you find the grinding difficult get someone to do it for you, or if you can't find a local post em up to me and I'll sort it for you. I'm getting a bit fed up with machinery stores selling carbide bits to hobbyists. Utterly useless things on little lathes. Also if you can get some aluminium or brass to start that is better. Stainless is a mongrel to learn on and mild steel can be really variable. If you've got a hard bit you'll be blaming youself when it's the steeal that's horrible. You can pick up aluminium offcuts at reasonable prices sometimes. 9" is a good size. You can do a LOT with it. I assume it has power longitudinal feed and no power cross feed ?
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Mate.
    I'll 3rd the bigger chip tray idea and the HSS rather than carbide.
    The thread dial being on the headstock side is a better location than the other side. It will be a lot easy to see when thread cutting.
    Hope you have lots of fun with your new toy.

bollie7

Good to see that you finally bit the bullet. Looks like a nice machine you ended up getting (especially the EVS) and your cabinet looks great too! I agree with the drip tray comments as well as agreeing with the HSS tool comments as well. I am currently using carbide indexables but will soon be getting a 3/8" HSS setup as the concensus appears to be firmly in the HSS camp for a nice finish when using smaller lathes. That said, I have beefed up my lathe's compound clamp and the carbide is capable of taking some nice heavy cuts when roughing out the work, I find it difficult to get a really nice finish with the carbide, but maybe that's just my inexperience?

Although I have yet to pipe up the coolant setup on my H&F 9x20, I have installed a coolant feed on my mini mill and used a small fountain pump. Although it sort of works OK, after reading others' comments about an appropriate pump, it looks like you maybe best going with Jaycar's camping shower pump as my fountain pump sometimes struggles to lift the coolant, depending on the height of the feed nozzle. A windscreen washer may also be a bit on the underpowered side as well, depending on the lift you require.

I suppose that you have ordered CDCO's #29461 QCTP at $82USD? I would be interested in knowing whether you are happy with the quality as I am also thinking about going the QCTP route.

I am disappointed with my H&F 4 jaw as it is a POS (very average quality) and a real fiddle to get the work setup correctly. I hope yours is better.
    The first step towards knowledge is to know that we are ignorant.

The problem with carbide is you have to drive it hard. Deep cuts, high speeds. It was developed for CNC production machines and how teh hell it ever found it's way to hobby machines I don't know. You can get a chrome like shine off it if you have the power, rigidity and know how, but lack one of those three and it'll rub and make a mess.

With HSS grind the tool as per instructions. It's not like sharpening a plane blade or chisel, or even a drill. Near enough is fine. Get approximate face, top and side angle. Once you've got the rough shape you have to carefully grind the corner that cuts. The idea is to get a sharp top edge with a radius on it. For hobby machines make the radius small. Very small. Maybe .25 mm or something. You'll then need slower feeds to get surface finish but the power requirements/rigidity will be MUCH less, you'll get more consistent cuts along the face of rough mild steel and you'll load your machine less. On long work less barrelling.

I know this is intimidating, but once you do it a couple of times it's a cinch. You'll be amazed at how much easier life gets. Also get HSS not tool steel. HSS is cheap nowdays.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast