Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Blue Gum Slab

Default Blue Gum Slab

I have a large slab of blue gum which is in its raw state (has been dryed). I want to make a bench top out of it but have no idea how to go about it. I have tried sanding it but all I seem to do is leave sanding marks. Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Need a lot more information

How big and thick is your slab. What is your woodworking skill level and what tools do you have. When you say you want to use it as a bench top, what sort of a bench and what size. That will do to start with.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

The slab is 2600 x 1000, and is 50mm thick. The slab is to be used as a bar top and is to be about that size, as I want to leave the bark on. My woodworking skill is fairly limited but I have access to a good range of tools. I am going for a rustic type look but still want a smooth finish. Protection from spills and accidents is the main aim. I am going to use a clear finish as the blue gum has a nice colour although it could probably use a bit of inhancing.

Kaoticknight,

Be it flat already, matey?
    Have ye tried wetting it a wee bit to see the colour?
    I be happy to send photo of my scullery top to ye- it be bluegum.

Carry Pine

You choices for going beyond the raw state to a relatively smooth finish is to use either or all of hand planes, belt sander, and electric hand plane. This would then be followed by sanding through a range of grits to achieve the desired finish. Depends on the particular rustic look you are trying achieve as to how you use the above tools.

The bar design is obviously up to you. However, remember that the bar top will continue to move with the seasons eventhough it has been dried. So your method of fixing it to the bar must allow for such movement or it will crack, or the bar supporting it will crack.

As for finish. I will leave that up to others as I have never worked with blue gum and don't know what happens with colour over time and therefore what treatment could be used.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver