Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That's beautiful joinery. Very creative my lord.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    That's beautiful joinery. Very creative my lord.
    Hi LN,

Yep, what Wongo said. That 'little extra' is a very nice touch. I likes it.

Cheers
    Pops

Very nice so far. Likewise I will watch to see the top. As you suggested the slight chamfer between the opposing grain might be the way to go, it might help hide any movment

Started to do the drawer runners. They are all fitted using floating tenons. I was going to support the drawers using a rebate down each side of the drawer and fixing a rail to the table, but I've decided to let the drawer sit on the rails as seen in the pic. When I've made the drawers up I shall fit guides down each side to keep the drawer straight. I've also beefed up the front rail by adding screws top and bottom to add reinforcement.

This pic shows two off cuts that I hope will become the drawer fronts, it's still got to be sized. I have got several planks I could cut them from to get a matched set but I just couldn't bring myself to cut up more wood knowing I could make them up just gluing a couple of waste pieces together.

Being a tight ???? again here in this pic.
    It's all the pieces for drawer sides, everything cut and planed to size and plenty to spare, all cut out from off cuts.

looking good
    looks like you have a well set up workshop there

Whoops! I didn't realize how big the pics were. Any problems let me know and I'll edit them.

Making the Drawers

All three cut and dry fitted, none have bottoms in as yet and all need a dado cut for the bottoms. The drawer fronts still have to be cut to size and fitted.

I've not done much for the last week but yesterday I finished the drawers gave everything two coats of cellulose sanding sealer both rubbed back hard with 0000 wire wool and managed to apply one coat of danish oil, it still needs another coat at least of danish oil but here is one pic I've just taken. More pics later when I've found time.

Work resumes making the top

With a 10mm slot cutter fitted in the router table, it took three passes on every piece to reach the desired depth of 19mm

A pic showing all the pieces routed out

Glue up and clamping of half of the top. The floating tenons are used here to align everything but they are not glued in and in the second pic they are removed while the glue goes off.

With the ends rounded off on the sander the tenons get glued in to the rails

Later I'll be gluing to two halves of the top together then adding the rails.

Looking good. A nice WIP too, M'lord.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I only just started to watch this thread. You are doing some very good work.

Viewed the correct way up with the side rails dry fitted, plus the arises on both side of the centre panel have been chamfered

A closer view of the chamfered joints

With the top upside down and clamped all the holes for the pins were marked, then the rails were removed and all the holes drilled, the hole don't go all the way through the top but stop short of the upper surface by 1/8" so I had to be very careful not to drill right through. Then the rails were replaced and reclamped, then using a drill as a centre punch I marked the tenons as shown in this pic. Next job is to remove the rails and drill through the tenons slightly off the mark to clinch the rails tight when the pins are hammered in. All the holes in the tenons have to be elongated also to allow for any wood movement.

There will be 32 pins in all 16 in each end reaching a third of the length only the middle 8" will be glued.

Edit... PS.. I still haven't revealed the cunning bit :lol:

The cunning bit

Your looking at the underside of the top

Here is a closer view of one of the pieces, glue and screwed only to the rails, the centre panel is still free to move. They will add reinforcement to the dowels to keep the outer rails from moving out. Normally these bars would be fitted to the base and they would stop the drawers from tipping when they are pulled out, but on this table they get to do two jobs

The correct way up, All sanded and awaiting the finish

A closer view

Applying the Finish

Two coats of cellulose sanding sealer, both cut back with 0000 wire wool, then one coat of danish oil. Two more coats of danish oil should see it done.

Hi LN,

Well, you must be pleased with the end result on the top. Looks blooming fantastic, truely beautiful timber. Very well done.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Pops

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast