Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Freeby of the Year

I have been given a metal lathe and a universal milling machine for nicks by a very good friend .He bought these machines along with a shaper and a few other pieces to start a machine shop business ,but has changed his plans and has no use for them .The shaper was sold some time ago

I wasn't going to announce this until a while later, but I know forum member Wheelinround is waiting for me to do it .I should be gloating ,but ,just in case something goes wrong, I won't, just in case the friend was having a brain fart and wasnt aware of what he was doing or saying .
    I'll wait until I have both machines secured at my place .

The lathe is an Edgwick tool room lathe I'm not sure if its a MkI or MkII
    You can read about the MKII here
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/edgwick/
    It has a brand new un-used English three jaw chuck . Its also 3 phase ,but that won't be a problem to change .

The mill I know nothing about ,except that it's a universal mill with a tilting head and a fairly substantial sized table and It's single phase .It's also floor standing ,it may be a Bridgeport or may not be.
    As far as tooling goes for both machines , I have no idea ,I will have to wait and see.

The friend who gave them to me lives in Halls Creek and I had a very short conversation with him regarding the machines ,I have to call him back in a few days to get some more info .

The machines are in Darwin and I have a crane truck already organised to pick them up and transport to Katherine.
    Previously both machines belonged to a well known and very talented Darwin gunsmith and have been in storage for around five or six years.
    It's going to cost a bit to transport them ,but if I know the gunsmith ,the machines will be in very good condition and will be worth the cost.
    He isn't a person who would buy junk.
    I have seen the machines in his workshop ,but along time ago and my memory is fuzzy .

I'm very excited and I cant wait to see them ,unfortunately I have to wait about eight weeks until my friend comes over from W.A.

When I get some more info I will update .

Cheers
    Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Go Kev thought you were going to wait I was being patient haven't told a sole.

I new you had to pre-gloat must be still having sleepless nights eh

So do I start drawing plans for things for you to make

Mate ,, for a bloke who wanted to do woodwork as a hobby I'm sure going in a strange direction.
    More than likely means a lot more work to get them set up and to the use able stage.
    Probably start on the mill first ,because I already have a working lathe.

Draw away send em on down.

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Yes me to Woodwork, Metal work, Computers, Photography, heritage vehicles.

At least you have the room Kev

Ca-ching! Score.

Does it come with that taper turning attachment - that looks awesome.

Bob ,
    Not sure what is with it ,my friend was very short on details .He has never used them ,basically they cam with the property he bought from the gunsmith ,and he just closed up the workshop and never worried about them.
    Hopefully the gunsmith was profiling barrels if so it may have the taper turning attachment .I'm hoping there is tooling with it ,other wise it will be a slow,expensive process to tool up both machines.
    As far as the milling machine goes I have no idea what it is .Luckily years ago I got hold of a milling machine vice ,which I still have .
    Here is an image of a similar lathe slightly larger.
    I got this image from an online catalogue ,they claim this is a 14 " swing ,not sure if they mean 7" swing.
    Swing to me is measured from the centre of the chuck to the closest point on the bed.
    I guess they made smaller and larger sizes on the same basic design.

Kev.
    Groucho Marx

Planning on making your own 50cal rifle Kev like the one in the video just remember to duck for cover

The swing of the lathe is the largest diameter that will clear the ways.

Stupid isn't it when you swing something its from the centre forming a radius not from the diameter so a 10" swing is realy only 5" from the ways to centre. ie

Engineering language V's English

Pipeclay is correct though Kev

Ray ,
    I've always been confused by the way they measure swing on a lathe ,despite years of whiling away the bosses time at a lathe .
    I guess it goes like this 5 1/2 " centre , 11" swing ,not taking into consideration if it's a gap bed lathe .The gap can be removed to accomadate a much larger diameter work piece.

Cheers
    Kev
    Groucho Marx

I think it comes down to the British vs USA style. The british seemed to nominate the swing as the distance from centre line to bed for home market and then the export or dominion stuff was the diameter than could be effectively turned.

The USA models always are quoted in diameter, although they seem to have two different diameters eg the Monarch 10EE which is a 12" swing but the effective swing is either 12.5 or 13" depending on the pre or post war manufacture.

Anyway I like your new lathe but the issue with chucks may be a PITA if it doesn't come with everything you want like faceplates, 4 jaw etc.
    Cheers

Craig
    Brisbane

Hux

I'm hoping it has a 4 jaw with it and hopefully at least one face plate .
    I wont know until I speak to my friend again.

If not ,maybe some dicking around to get a 4 jaw and a face plate organised.

I reckon the tool post is a winner with a hole bored in it for mounting boring bars etc.

Kev.
    Groucho Marx

Kev

Little doubt that its the best value lathe going and a 4 jaw, back plate and face plate may take some doing to get or make but thats next to nothing compared to the cost of the lathe.
    Cheers

Craig
    Brisbane

Hux ,
    Truly very good value even if I have to shell out for a four jaw.
    Just got off the phone to Halls Creek , I quizzed him at length , he says he can't remember what is with it , but seems to remember a large face plate .He said it has a brand new English 3 jaw chuck probably a Berned (sp?).So looks like it's going to be a bit of a lucky dip .

Kev.
    Groucho Marx

Well make sure to post pics when you get it. I just fully read the lathes.uk description. Sounds extremely well made.

I think you will be best getting a VFD if you haven't already got 3ph. You could repower down to a 3hp 3ph at 1440 and get the higher speeds especially if you run at 60Hz rather than 50. You should be able to run over 1200rpm at 60Hz and not have to worry about rewiring all the switching by changing to 1ph motor.

Essentially you would just run the VFD as a power convertor and have it set at constant Hz output otherwise you would lose a fair bit of torque.
    Cheers

Craig
    Brisbane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast