Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My last question on this subject.

I have been looking at the AL-280P Lathe Mill Drill from H&F. The AL-60 (which was my firs choice) has a mill attachment for an extra $650 making total package cost $2000. The AL-280P ends up being the equivalent package for $650 less.

If any one can advise which one I should go for (AL60 plus mill attachment further down the track or the AL-280P complete lathe mill drill) I would be eternally grateful. I plan on purchasing next week, so really need to know good and bad points of both options

I have read everyone's replies from previous threads (posted by both me and other people) and really need to know a PRACTICAL reason why lathe/mill/drills are classed as the redheaded stepchild of a separate lathe, seperate mill and seperate drill. I already have a cheap drillpress (read GMC)

Cheers, and I promise I'll shut up about the subject after this

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I should start by saying I don't have a mill - yet.
    I do have an AL-60 though, or it's Carbatec equivalent.

Looking at where the mill would attach on this lathe I agree with a poster to your previous thread who said that it would be a pain to use - or words to that effect. It's just too cramped and changing from mill to lathe would be no fun at all.

Pay a bit extra and get the mini-mill (H&F HM-10) as a separate tool. I'll be doing this eventually.

[Have the prices at H&F just gone up? I could have sworn the HM-10 was $865 or so last week]

According to my cattledog which I picked up today from H&F the HM-10 is $895, so prices may indeed have gone up since you last looked. Although, speaking to the guy at H&F, if I was to go the AL-60 route he will do me the lathe and stand as a combo for $1550 and then take 10% off any tools I purchase as well.

I am just torn between these 2 options. I won't be using the mill all the time, and it is only 4 bolts to remove it from the AL-60 when it isn't required. I just figure why pay $650 more for something when I can buy the lot in one machine right now.

So many choices, so little time

Quote Originally Posted by ElDubya View Post
    According to my cattledog which I picked up today from H&F the HM-10 is $895, so prices may indeed have gone up since you last looked. Although, speaking to the guy at H&F, if I was to go the AL-60 route he will do me the lathe and stand as a combo for $1550 and then take 10% off any tools I purchase as well.

So many choices, so little time
    At that price with 10% off tools, it sounds like a good deal. I've spent as much on tools as I did on the lathe.
    You can always buy an XY table later so the mill is stand alone.

BTW: From the H&F web site, the HM-10 is$863.64 excluding GST. $950 including GST.

Then either the website or the cattledog has the wrong info. According to the front page it states all prices are including GST. So I would take the price from there before I used the one from the website

That standalone idea sounds pretty good actually Geoff. That will give me some time to get used to the lathe side of things, before I try and wrap my head around getting a mill to co-operate as well.

So, you say you have an AL-60 equivalent? Has it had any mods or did you have to anything to it to make it better or more efficient? Just want a bit of a heads up before I fork over the hard earned

So, you say you have an AL-60 equivalent? Has it had any mods or did you have to anything to it to make it better or more efficient? Just want a bit of a heads up before I fork over the hard earned
    The AL-60 is a Sieg C6, sold as such by Carbatec. Mine hasn't had a lot of use so far. I'm still getting used to it.
    I plan to fit a 4 jaw chuck (purchase pending) and a QCTP (purchased aleady). I don't think that there are many other mods I'll need to make. (see other thread in the Metalworking forum)
    The 9x20 group on Yahoo has an excellent document on tricking out the 9x20 lathes but a few owners of the C6 seem to think them unnecessary.
    If I was going to make any changes, fitting a variable speed motor would be at the top of the list.

I have read everyone's replies from previous threads (posted by both me and other people) and really need to know a PRACTICAL reason why lathe/mill/drills are classed as the redheaded stepchild of a separate lathe, seperate mill and seperate drill.
    Hi,
    I'm no expert on the subject of combined machines but when I originally looked into them I did a lot of reading on different forums. This is what I found
    PROS:
    Cheaper
    Compact

CONS:
    Rigidity
    Quill clearance
    Size of milling bed.

Quill clearance and table size is what turned me away from them. Fixing the work to the table is a very important part of milling and I read numerous complaints that there is not enough space to mount the work and also fix it there. Rigidity seemed to follow closely as the next complaint.

Hope that helps. Not trying to be negative but those are the reasons I decided against going down that path.

No worries guys. I am going to go the way of the AL-60 then get a seperate mill later on down the road. best option all round I reckon. As I said, I will still be learning how to effectively use my new purchase for a while so adding the mill on top of that equation seems a little bit too much brain fodder at my tender old age

Thanks for all the replies though guys, appreciate it.