Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Favourite Dremel carving bit?

Ahoi, I've had my Dremel now for a few weeks and have started to use it again (thanks to an anti-dog screen the better half is asking me to make). When I bought the Dremel, I also grabbed a #121 tear point high speed cutter tool. After trying to carve with that, I got a bit discouraged seeing as the tip makes it hard to remove material. I have been using the 3/32" drill at a lower speed bit that came with it to do most of the waste removal, although it can't do much detail, and isn't brilliant at leaving much of a surface to look at.

Just wondering what bit other Dremel'ers prefer to use for the most part of their carving needs. May the thoughts flow free.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

For quick wood removal with the dremel , I think that you cannot go past the typhoon bits

Terry

i mainly use duragrit bits in mine

For the limited time I have been using this type of tool I have been using the "flame" shaped bit.
    I can get detail with the pointy end and remove lots of material at the fatter end of the bit.We may be using the same bit? Hope this helps.
    "What a fabulous race! Barry Sheene's riding his Suzuki as though he's married to it."
    Quote/Murray Walker.

I have tried a typhoon bit, a duragrit, and dremel bits. The typhoon can certainly remove a lot of wood fast, as can the duragrit (cone shape). The teardop dremel bit does certainly remove wood quickly with the blunt end, and the pointing end clogging quickly. The dremel with the rod shape with the "screw" cutting edges bits can be useful removing unwanted wood.

I also have old dentist drill bits that allow for fine work to be undertaken. These range from various size "ball" cutters ( 1 - 2 mm diameter) on the end of the bit, through various inverted cone shapes ( 1 - 3mm) and enlongated teardrop shapes. One of the 2mm inverted cones, I use as a router bit to recess flat areas to about 1 - 1.5mm depth. And there are quite a few other types that I haven't had a need for yet.

The old dentist bits were sourced by another woodcarver, so I can't confirm how easy they might be to get, or what cost. I think I paid him about a $1 per bit.

I have also used some burr bits that you can pickup for about $10 - $15 dollars for 6 - 12 bits, that can have minimal effectiveness.

All these have shafts 1/8inch or less, so fit in a dremel flexible shaft chuck without problem.

I generally run them about 12000rpm, as this seems to get the best rate of removal. Higher revs seems to be removing wood to fast for my rate control.

Paul