Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fein MultiMaster Set - TOP

Gday folks,
    This is a review on the Fein MultiMaster FMM 250 Q. They are sold at the moment as
    a number of kits, the Start, Select, Top and Top Extra. The version I purchased is
    the Top, it being the best value for money for the types of work I want it to do.
    The unit itself is not cheap and the accessories are pretty pricey too. With that
    being said, the TOP MultiMaster kit comes with an abundance of accessories that
    enable it to be used for sanding, cutting, grinding, scraping, grout removal and
    profile sanding.

I saw the MultiMaster many years ago one Saturday morning at Just Tools in south
    Melbourne. I remember it being demonstrated on a piece of timber and was amazed at
    the ease in which it was plunged right through the piece of 4x2 pine. The other
    thing I distinctly remember was the price that at the time just didn’t fit into my
    budget.

About two months ago I was contacted to quote for some outside painting. The job
    consisted of removing many lineal metres of flaking paint right up close to the
    Colorbond guttering. There are also a number of window frames where the timber
    bead holding the glass in place has rotted away as well as glazing putty needing
    to be removed and replaced. At about the same time I'm standing at the counter at
    Carbatec in Melbourne waiting to hand over some money and watching the TV behind
    the counter and what’s being advertised, the Fein MultiMaster.

This got me thinking. With all the sanding and such involved in this next job I
    enquired as to the price of the unit. Of the four kits on offer, the one that was
    going to be the best value was going to set me back $550.00, a reduction of nearly
    $100.00 on the regular price.

Next came one hell of alot of research, on the tool and the accessories. The tool
    comes in two versions, the Fein MultiMaster FMM 250 and the Fein MultiMaster FMM
    250 Q, the "Q" being for quick release of the various accessories and the one that
    comes with the "Top" kit. After much reading of reviews on the tool, the
    overwhelming conclusion was that while it is a very expensive piece of equipment,
    it does the work that no other tool can do and it does it extremely well.
    With the confidence the reviews had given me and the customer being happy with the
    quote and giving me the go ahead, I purchased the "Top" kit with the depth gauge
    for $597.00 from Just Tools last Saturday.

Today was the first chance to use it. I'd had to fill seven door frames where the
    old striker plate had been with builders bog. For those of you who have used bog
    before, you know just how hard it sets when left overnight to dry and how hard it
    can be to get a perfectly flat finish next to the existing timber. Often either
    the bog or the timber will sand faster and leave an uneven surface.

This is how I know the money was well spent. From getting the kit out of the car,
    setting it up with the vacuum cleaner, setting the tool up with the extraction
    accessories and the sanding accessories, sanding the seven door jam repairs and
    putting the tool back in the kit box took less than twenty minutes. Yes, that’s
    right, less than twenty minutes!!!!

I used one of the perforated 120 grit sand papers to do the work and at the end
    the paper was slightly worse the wear on the leading two edges. The back edge and
    central part of the pad look almost brand new.

The dust extraction consists of a moulded piece that goes around the tools spindle
    and runs underneath the tool, attached with a clip at the back. Then a felt
    sealing ring goes between the extraction head and the back of the accessory. This
    all hooked up to the wet and dry vacuum gave a dust free work place, not even a
    residue of dust on the job surface.

As for the rest of the kit, each of the accessories appears to be exceedingly well
    made. One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the wood/metal universal E-cut
    saw; it comes with the blades teeth covered in a protective coating. The entire
    kit comes in a sturdy plastic case. A number of the reviews were negative about
    this but having had tools in steel cases in the past and having had them start to
    rust, I feel the plastic case is a much better idea. There are two internal boxes
    inside the case that hold all the sandpaper and accessories and the tool rests in
    a moulded plastic container.

Now for the tool itself. It is a solid, well balanced piece of equipment. The
    switch has a very positive movement to it and while on the power side of the tool,
    unlike alot of power tools, the lead is five metres in length allowing it to be
    used up a ladder without having to resort to an extension lead.
    I was going to start this review by saying it was about my new toy. After using
    the Multimaster I changed my mind, this is definitely not a toy, it a purpose
    built tool that's does the jobs that no other tool will do as quickly and
    efficiently.

As I do different work and the appropriate accessories I'll add to this review and
    let you know how things go.

Hope this helps someone,

Ross.
    Last edited by ubeaut; 16th November 2008 at 10:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

thanks for the review hopefully i can build the price of it into my next job as i also think that this tool looks extremely handy. although id like to know how the saw cuts aussie hardwood .

Quote Originally Posted by fozz View Post

Hope this helps someone,

Ross.
    Just did - thanks.

fubar,

I'm hoping to have a go with some good old aussie hardwood this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

AitchJay, glad I was able to help,

Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by fubar View Post
    thanks for the review hopefully i can build the price of it into my next job as i also think that this tool looks extremely handy. although id like to know how the saw cuts aussie hardwood .
    we do it all the time with no probem got to keep the blade moving so it does not burn.

it even cuts through nails with easy

Hey Gaza,

Any information you can add regarding the multimaster would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by fozz View Post
    Hey Gaza,

Any information you can add regarding the multimaster would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ross.
    biggest thing is dont let it out of your sight we go through one or two a year being knocked off.

if you go to JLC forum there is a how to make your own blades.

Default Update.

Thanks Gaza for the information, wont let mine out of my sight.

Heres a further update for one of the accessories and what it was used for and how it went.

I used the supplied E-cut metal/wood saw blade today for the first time. I'm in the throes of extending my garage another 3.2 metres in length and after removing the gal sheeting from the back,I found an 80x50mm roughsawn hardwood frame that had to be removed all but about 100mm at either end to be used as spacers and fixing for the new stud walls.

Now the garage is 40 years old so who knows how old the timber in the frame is. My friend was standing next to me saying use the jigsaw, use the jigsaw. I told him where it was and to go and get it while I used the multimaster. The first cut of six was over and done before he found the jigsaw, bit of smoke while cutting then remember what Gaza said about keeping the blade moving. Once I understood the technique to using this blade, the next two were cut right through as the friend yelled at me from the garage depths, "theres no blade in it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I let him do the forth one after realising the bottom would be better done from the inside of the garage. The window frame to be cut out also. It was fixed in place by four 100mm nails skewed through the hardwood frame. By this time my friend is starting to be impressed with the multimaster and joking says why dont I use it to cut the nails. Before he could eat his words the blade was plunged in between the two pieces of timber and with alittle push the first nail was cut. Of course the comment was that the blade would be blunt after that. Pulled it out and into the other three before showing him and my self what the blade was like.

After the work the blade did you could see where I'd made the smoke on the first cut, a little carbon residue left on the blade but other than that there was nothing to show it had just cut four very thick nails and for the size of the blade some very thick, old aussie hardwood.

Both he and I were very impressed with what the multimaster had just done and he is now thinking of getting one himself.

I'll keep adding to this as the tool is used.

Cheers,

Ross.

I'm renovating at the moment and have been using mine for all sorts of jobs. I needed to remove and move a cornice back about 600mm, the ezcut let me slice the cornice off neatly and re-use it. Making powerpoint holes in plaster -sweet . Trimming off a screw that had snapped its head off during previous installation - no problem. Slicing off some sticky silastic from the old benchtop - again, pretty simple stuff. Best use was turning the blade at 90 degrees so I could make a notch hole in a stud where I couldn't fit my drill.

I found the vacuum attachment useless for plaster work.

Gday Groggy,

Plaster work is one of the things I had in mind when buying it.

Thanks for the added info, if enough different applications for this tool can be written in this thread, maybe more people will realise just how handy this tool can be.

Cheers,

Ross.

Ross, the Fein can be viewed like a hammer or duct tape, you can use it for just about anything the mind can dream up for it. Cutting holes, sanding and any task where an oscillating action is better than rotary. One of those tools that is not absolutely necessary, but makes the job so much faster and neater.

Default Second update

Gday folks,

Got the chance to use the multimaster again yesterday. The customer's garage room lining had finally had the gong after 50 years. The masonite had mostly fallen off, only two sheets were still hanging by a few nails.

Anyways, out with the e-cut blade and off with the two sheets. All the sisalation? had fallen apart over the years so that had to come of too. Put the rigid knife into the tool and started cutting it from one side to another, again like a hot knife through butter. A few times I managed to hit the bottom of the gal cliplock sheeting, took the edge of the corner of the blade but otherwise it didnt stop, all 25 square metres of it.

Next all the nails had to be made flush with the battens so that the new sheets could be installed. The e-cut blade would have cut close to 300 nails yesterday and is still not blunt. The only other thing to do was cut flush the edge of the masonite sheeting up against the walls, the e-cut blade made very short work of it.

As an aside, while getting rid of the sisalation, I was cutting one section that was intact and had a large bulge in it. Next thing this bulge moved and out popped a fury head. HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm, ringtail or brushtail, damn, brushtail, aint gonna mess with him. All of a sudden there was two heads, the second bigger than the first!!!!!!!

I spent the next 30 minutes trying to get these two possums out of the roof so I could finish the job. The biggest one came down onto the top of my mobile scaffold after a prod with the broom handle then ran straight at me. I can tell you, I looked like wily coyote trying to get out of its way, damn things body was as big as a domestic moggy. Another prod had the smaller one exit stage left up onto the roof, good riddance both of them.

The multimaster was used pretty solidly yesterday and saved me at least 4 hours of work. At this rate it will pay for itsself in about three jobs, well worth the money so far.

Further updates toward the end of the week, sanding on the painting job starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ross.

Default Third update.

Gday folks,

Well, its been an interesting last few days with the multimaster.

I had used the perforated sanding pad to sand flush some builders bog on seven striker plate holes at a customers home. The pad was used again on the current job to sanding timber window frames and the timber moulding that holds the windows in place.

The paint had reached the point that it had flaked and pealed so on with a 60 grit paper and onto the first window. It roughed up the paint on the first window with relative ease, getting into all the nooks and crannies that it was purchased for. The window sill was thick with old paint so after a couple of minutes sanding and realising this wasnt the best way to go, the sanding pad was replaced with the carbide rasp and the paint was taken back to the timber.

Onto the second window and with the rasp still in place, the sill was sanded the same as the first window. The sanding pad was installed next to sand flat the marks the rasp had left on the first sill then onto the second sill to do the same. This is where the trouble started.

It seemed to be taking along time to sand this sill and thinking the sand paper may need to be changed, I removed the tool from the sill to have a look. This is where I noticed the pad seemed to have come loose in the tool. I grabbed the pad and found it had detached itself from the alluminium backing that is fixed into the actual machine.

Having just paid out $600.00 and not even worn out two sanding sheets, I was not impressed. My mood was further enhanced after speaking to three different people at Just Tools and being told by one of them that it would be put down to user abuse of the tool. I was told that the pad detached because I'd applied too much pressure to the tool, heating the glue that holds the rubber pad to the alluminium backing plate and melting said glue.

I explained that I'd purchased a green Bosch delta sanding 15 years ago and it had done a power of work and still had the first pad attached to it. The multimaster was at least 5 times dearer and after just maybe an hour of sanding, the pads failure just wasnt good enough. I then asked for the Feins sales reps mobile phone number to take it up with him. After trying for the next 4 hours to contact him I gave it away.

So, after spending $600.00 to make it easier and more efficient to do a job, a $30.00 atachment stopped me dead in my tracks.

I will try to contact the rep next week, will let you know the outcome.

On a better note, The tool was used to complete the installation of the carport roof lining that was started at the beginning of the week. It was used with the HSS blade to fit the sheets of 3mm MDF and to cut the quad and flat timbers covering the joins in the sheets. Again I couldnt be happier, it does this sort of work brilliantly working all Thursday and Friday and never once missed a beat.

To finish this for now, I'm still very happy with the purchase of the multimaster, its sofar saved me at least half a day in labour and thats including the failure of the sanding pad.

Cheers,

Ross.

Fozz thanks again for the ongoing review looks like im going to be spending some money soon

No probs fubar, glad its helped you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast