Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SIP Topmig 170 turbo

Hey all,
    I'm new to welding and really must do a course, but I am aware that since my main interest is in alloy boats (tinnys and runabouts more so than plate alloy!!) that a MIG welder will be of more benefit eventually.

I've come across a SIP Topmig 170 turbo being sold locally for $300. Am I correct in assuming these seems like a good price for what seems like a half decent machine?

2 other questions - apparently the tension bolt to control the spool is broken, however seller claims this doesn't effect operation....does it? Is the bolt in question replaceable?

Lastly, I'm under the impression this is sold as a gas machine, and I know proper bottles are the better way to go, but initially at least I want to be able to use those small chuck away 'canisters' - can I on this machine?

I've been keeping my eye out for a while but it seems the machines are either only 100amp (or even 90), gasless, too expensive or too far away. Hoping this might be the one.....

Oh, its 8 or 9 years old by the way.

Thanks all.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My brother has a SIP and he's not happy with the wire-feed.

Thanks Rossluck.

Anyone else know about these machines? I know there are some welding experts on here.

Quote Originally Posted by abitfishy View Post
    SIP Topmig 170 turbo being sold locally for $300. Am I correct in assuming these seems like a good price for what seems like a half decent machine?

2 other questions - apparently the tension bolt to control the spool is broken, however seller claims this doesn't effect operation....does it? Is the bolt in question replaceable?

Lastly, I'm under the impression this is sold as a gas machine, and I know proper bottles are the better way to go, but initially at least I want to be able to use those small chuck away 'canisters' - can I on this machine?
    Hi,
    My advice to you is to avoid it like the plague.

1.The only real value I have found in the sip range is to make you appreciate the value of a decent machine. I had one given to me and it was not worth keeping.
    They will not run ali very well at all (you really need 180 amps minimum to get into Spray arc where it starts to work well and the attempt will frustrate you.

2.The tensioner bolt and spring are there for a reason-to stop the spool overunning the drive - you will realise the importance of this feature , about the time when the wire unravels off the spool. Spares ??? The importers are not renowned for the spares availability with these units.

3. "Proper : gas cylinders are the cheaper way to go.
    The throw away cylinders are very expensive around $30 a couple of years back. They don't last more than about 15mins of continous running.Trust me on this I have tried them.

Either have a MIG or don't. MIG Metal Inert Gas Gasless machines are Fluxcore units -not MIG
    Honestly I would'nt would wish one of these cheap and nasties on anyone.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame.

Thats odd, I was somehow under the impression the SIPS were the better of the cheaper units. Unfortunately I simply cannot afford a full priced machine so second hand for a few hundred bucks or nothing. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

I had another reply from him about the bolt - he's tied some weight to it to stop it free spooling - sounds a bit dodgy!

I wanted the capability for the throw aways to use initially as I didn't want to start by spending the dough on a cylinder and gas before I practise a bit. The amount I'll use it at first isn't going to worry me using throw aways and who knows, may still end up cheaper than renting a bottle and refilling. I was not considering gasless at all.

The question I'll ask is re: the storage of the bottle. My baking oven of a garage is a bit of a worry too as I'm under the impression they aren't the most stable of gases if the bottles get hot - my garage has an old style of 'laserlight' roofing and it is so bad I cannot tighten fuel caps on the mower fuel tins or they collapse. I can't work in there in summer for more than 5 mins.

So maybe the best question should be, if one can't afford an $800 MIG, but HAS to buy a cheap one, what would they buy? ie, whats the best out of a bad lot?

Thanks again, I think I'll leave this one.

The cylinders are quite safe in your hot garage as they are mainly inert gas.
    I am sorry but theres no easy answer.
    Migs are like cars or boats .Different ones are used for different jobs. The sip might get by on welding car panels.I got rid of the crappy quality torch on mine and stuck a cheap $100 Profax on it. Even with that it only ever welded sheet metal effectively and that was about it.

I got by for years just with a cheap stick welder.

Sorry to be negative but I hate to see people end up with crappy welders.

Cheers
    Grahame

Thanks again Grahame.

I know what you mean, sometimes cheap isn't much better than not at all, but I don't have the luxury of being able to afford the alternative.

Having said that, if I used a decent MIG to some dodgy welds or holes in a few boats, I'd probably be able to get my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame Collins View Post
    Hi,
    My advice to you is to avoid it like the plague.

1.The only real value I have found in the sip range is to make you appreciate the value of a decent machine. I had one given to me and it was not worth keeping.
    They will not run ali very well at all (you really need 180 amps minimum to get into Spray arc where it starts to work well and the attempt will frustrate you.

2.The tensioner bolt and spring are there for a reason-to stop the spool overunning the drive - you will realise the importance of this feature , about the time when the wire unravels off the spool. Spares ??? The importers are not renowned for the spares availability with these units.

3. "Proper : gas cylinders are the cheaper way to go.
    The throw away cylinders are very expensive around $30 a couple of years back. They don't last more than about 15mins of continous running.Trust me on this I have tried them.

Either have a MIG or don't. MIG Metal Inert Gas Gasless machines are Fluxcore units -not MIG
    Honestly I would'nt would wish one of these cheap and nasties on anyone.

Grahame
    ]

couldnt help but agree with what graham says, i have spent a considerable amount of time and frustration(the more expensive of the two as it tends to make you throw things) trying to get these welders to weld, having said this their spot welders work.
    sean

I owned a sip mig a few years ago and its the ONLY tool ive ever sold

Thanks guys.

I've read the Lincoln 170's aren't a bad unit, but unfortunately a few more $$$ too. I guess I might have to start saving!

Hi Abitfishy

Getting back to the point of your original topic.
    That was,I believe to take advantage of the potential market in marine aluminium work.

There were a couple of things that weren't raised in the course of the thread.

A) Its a bit more than opening a phone book and saying"Ahh! Theres no entries for aluminium welders ,so there must be no aluminium welders The may well be someone there who operates low key,say for tax reasons and or gets the work through word of mouth.Perhaps some time spent yarning with the fishermen asking where they can the ali repairs done,may well be of some benefit.

B) Another point is that ,once you have purchased your Lincoln -(or whatever brand you choose) are you certain that it is suitable for the work intended. My thoughts on that is some migs may be too much for just a thin 2mm aluminium skinned tinny.

A good look at

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

may give some better insights as they tend to use the smaller bottom end of the market units there. There is also a forum that you can join and ask pertinent questions especially on particular models.

Hope this helps

Grahame

Hi Grahame, we meet again in the welding forum.

No, no, I think you misinterpreted my intentions - I'm not even considering fixing alumnium boats for any real gain or specifically for other people - just as a bit of a hobby if I come across something that needs a weld up, tidy up, use for a bit and flog off again for possibly minor $ gain.

I would have thought any of the smaller MIGS I'd be getting (since I only have access to single phase 10a) wouldn't be too big to do smaller stuff would it? I do have a 15a air con point (no longer used unless we want the old aircon on as well as the new splits) so I'm assuming I could get another 15A point installed if I needed and wanted bigger, which I may not, but at a few of the auctions I've been, most are 3 phase, with a few single 15a and the very occasional 10a since the majority seem to be from closed down factories and the like. There were actually a bunch of 3 phase welders (I think one or 2 were MIG) that went for sub $300 at the last auction. Someone got a bargain.

Me again.
    Sorry about that,I mis understood .

If I was looking for a single phase mig of moderate price the auctions may be the way to go .

Thats the trouble though ,everyone and his dog are there,and they are all chasing a single phase mig.

No doubt the 3 phase are a better buy, but the bidding pressure will push even a dilapidated old single phase towards a their original purchase price.

Having said that I think something like a 195 Transmig would be ideal if you can get one within your budget range. They are built like a brick dunny and stand up to abuse from high school students.Parts are still readily available.

Cheers
    Grahame

Yep, there was actually one little Duo or was it Due MIG single phase MIG there the other day, but I was not sure about the brand so didn't bid. As it was it went for $175 which if it was in good working condition probably not a bad price, but I think it was only a 140amp, unknown condition etc and looked like one of those cheapo chikenese ebay specials so I didn't take the risk.

Hi,

What about the bigger SIP machines - are they also dodgy?

I have found one for sale that is supposedly a 250Amp machine.

Cheers

Cam
    <Insert witty remark here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast