Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: New

Default New

So, hello. I have some pics, not all wood or 3d at the url below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23232748@N08/

I'm currtently looking at dime tip carving bars for chainsaw carving, possibly a 12 inch on a stihl 009L. Does anyone recommend GB, the Australian company that makes them? Its hard to find any prices online. I'm also going for some Saburr tooth disks for my grinder. Any anecdotes on Saburr tooth or kutzal discs.

Anyone near Nimbin - I got a great lead for a shed full of old slabs and stumps up for word-of-mouth sale, of just about any type of local wood you want. It's a twenty or thirty year collection.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Good morning Morvay and welcome.

Looked at your photos-some beaut work. Quite 'prehistoric' and figuratively earthy carvings. A kind of hybridization of rock meets wood carivngs comes to mind-primal. And, assumming the paintings were yours too, great. The photos of the caldera very beautiful.

Not too sure about all the tools you're asking about, but I do have a few of the Kutzal attachments and found the quality to be great, prices a great deal cheaper then equiv here and service really reliable and prompt. (actually took just two days longer for Kutzall to send their stuff to me from the States than stuff ordered from Brisbane)

As for the wood -I might pm you about that.

Cheers,
    Clare.

Hello Clare, Thanks for the comments. Yes they're my paintings as well. You do Rocking Horses! I can't find any links to your work. I worked with a guy at Rock Valley, Don Metcalfe, for a number of years, one day a week, helping him put rocking horses together. He's a good general sculptor as well - and has a solar drying kiln for slabs. Where can I see some of your work?

Is that nice timber place still in Mullum? I did a carving of native animals a couple of years ago for the back of the town sign at Burringbar. I've only seen it once since and imagine its checked and cracked badly by now, due to facing the western sun. If you happen to be passing by can you give it a once-over for me. I don't find me out that way often.

As for tools, I found GB chainsaw bars, but can't seem to find anywhere in Australia to get them. The guy I've been emailing in the states says GB are near bankrupt, which sounds a big shame as they are an Australian company and make good bars - \if you are into that sort of thing.

"http://www.chainsawsculpture.com/shop/home.php?cat=24"

And this is one of the 100ml Kutzal discs I decided on:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/11/24/3cb2_1.JPG

You can call Paddy O'Brien direct about the timber in his shed that he and his old man have been collecting over the years. He's quite a card is Paddy - a bush poet. They are selling off 100 or so hectares of their land near Mt Burrell which the shed with the timber is in. Give me a call on 66897191 for his number. It wouldn't take long for you over Mt Jerusalem to get to his place. I hope to get there next weekend, or even today, and take some pics. I'll give him a call now actually.

Cheers, Bernard

Sorry, was wondering if you knew of this page for Kutzal deals

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Kutzall-Closeouts

Moovay, for what its worth have you looked at wood carvers supply.

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/store/default.asp

I have imported things from them. no worries. Email Timothy Effrem for info.
    I have had problems getting prices in Aus, for carving bars, seems to me they are cheaper in the USA than here. Even though they are made here. If you know what I mean.
    They also sell Kutzall. An alternative is to contact Carbrasive in Sawtell ( near coffs) they also make Kutzall type tools. Good to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I went for the Austrlaian made GB dime tip bar, but had to go OS for it. Chainsawcarvers were really helpful, and sounded like they - or he, Jamie, knew as much about them as anyone. He also said GB were possibly going bankrupt. I talked to a GB rep for NSW and got nowhere. So it ended up quite expensive due to the aussie dollar and postage, but the time and safety it will give me is priceless. They file down the backs of the chian teeth to help with plunge cuts if one wants.