Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Kauri Pine Dining Table

Any advise on finishing a circa 1910 kauri pine table? It was missing the leaf to make it extendable. I have located a new piece of kauri. Are there any tips on how to age this? What finish would be best? Thinking along the lines of danish oil / bees wax ? Any thoughts or opinions? Novice to restoration!

Thanks.

Marls :confused:

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Think you will find that most Kauri pine was finished with shellac, often stained first then French polished.

Most Kauri furniture I have come in contact with over the years would not have responded very well to oil as a finish, especially the older stuff.

Where did you get new Kauri from? I was under the impression it was a prohibited export and has been for many years. Is it Kauri or is it Damarminyak which is being sold by some timber merchants as kauri? If so it won't be all that easy to match unless you stain the whole top.

Kauri when wet usually goes a deep honey colour whilst damarminyak doesn't change its colour very much at all.

Good morning,

I purchased the Kauri from a timber merchant in the Adelaide Hills - Paterson Bros of Littlehampton (Geelong supporters as am I). Apparently it is over 8 years old. They milled it to the desired measurements - 42" x 22" x 19cm at a cost of $72. Unfortunately I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't Kauri - being the novice that I am.

I will be taking back the two original sides - they are very worn, so it won't take much to take back. If I were to stain these pieces what would you suggest as an appropriate stain colour? I do like the look of Kauri - the warm honey colour really appeals to me.

I have used shellac before and was happy with the result, but would this be suitable for the table top?

Thanks again for your help.

Trust you have a happy and safe Easter.

Fond Regards.

Marlene
    (an ex Geelongie)