Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back pain. Oh no. Not again!

Just curious.
    Have many of you used this Glucocimine. Natural stuff?
    What do you do to prevent your bk pain reacurring?

My physio sais it lubricates the joints.

I'm off work. AGAIN! Today only. Determined to go bk.
    I had a major back attack today. Nerves touching something and less cartledge between two lower ( bum height ) vertabre.

Today I was hanging onto anything I could touch, just to get around. Walking upright again tnite. Neanderthol me ha he ha.
    I'm soo sick of it. Reacurring I mean. I'm going to end up unemployed soon if It doesn't go away. Excercise? Yeah. I know.
    Lucky me I'm debt free. Still gotta buy food and pay for lodgings.
    Don't ever want to be a burden.

Have many of you use this Glucocimine. Natural stuff? ( spelling )

Thanks.

Toe Knee.
    Don't pass them by! Be daring and caring!

Dampen their misery....sit with them and talk a little.

Buy them something to eat and a tram fare to a local mission.
    I'm so lucky that I've somewhere to live and have family support.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Tony, have never used it myself but did a quick google. As you most likely already know it is a natural remedy for Osteoarthritis but one thing I found was this. "Glucosamine is not invariably effective for osteoarthritis, and its use should be approached with a degree of realism"
    Dont give up though, gotta be help somewhere.
    Cheers Steve
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

I use glucosamine for my neck pain. I have oesteoartritas that is confirmed by an xray. My Chiropractor sent me off for an xray befor he would do anything. (So I dicovered that I have oestio arthrisis caused way back in time. Maybe even high school carrying heavy bags. who knows. ) He has helped alot, and also recomended that I take glucosamine. I know it is expensive, but every time I finish a bottle and balk at the price of the stuff my neck gets unbarebly painful again over the next week or so, and off I go to buy some more. Its not a cure. It only works while you take it. But for me is does work.

I also do tai chi. That has really helped, and straightened out my posture. And also got me quite fit again. Contrary to popular belief it is actually quite hard work, not just soft and waffly. My teacher also teaches the martial art applications of tai chi. she is affiliated with the Golden Lion school. Here is a Link.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

got laid up with back pain off work for a while, know how you feel ,all BS aside can you claim it on compo .

visits to get you moving again costs ,looser you keep your back the better

the other most important thing is to do is keep fit Tealady is right you have to keep fit, do all the exercise ,stretch , don't do them you back will hurt
    smile and the world will smile with you

Try some ' Johno's pain away spray' or the cream of the same name works a treat no some things (my back pain for one ) . It was recomended to me and as It helped I will recomend it to you , you get it at chemists or natural health shops
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I have suffered from a broken back (twice) broken neck, broken leg, arm and some ribs, I have a bit of an idea of how to repair myself as I sort of know these days what works and what doesn’t. I do believe that within reason, you are your own best physician.

Firstly I think you should find out exactly what is wrong if you don’t already know. By knowing exactly what is wrong, you should be able to work around and/or with your malaise.

Generally speaking, the best benefit I and some others with similar back/neck problems I got to know quite well in hospital wards did, was to ensure that your abdominal wall muscles were as reasonably strong as they could be.

Between your rib cage and your pelvis, there isn’t much framework (skeletal) there, except muscles to hold your torso upright. Not long after I was allowed to move my torso freely again I found that my abdominal muscles had been extremely weakened by my torso having been kept rigid by a series of different body braces.

This necessitated a very long and very gradual muscle-building regime, which at times was not the easiest thing to look forward to doing. This was mainly due to some pain jolts as one moved a millimetre too much in one direction, I’m sure you know exactly what I’m saying.

Excess body weight, combined with a weak (ish) abdominal muscular system will not be conducive to a healthy back. If you have a weakness in your framework (as you have) then possibly a reasonable option is to figure out if toning your muscles is going to improve your spinal health.

A lot of us should remember back to when we had a six-pack that we could see, these days most of us have metricated, we now have a ten-pack. Reversing the situation could help, maybe!

I am not a great fan of pain numbing sprays or ointments, unless your medico approves.

I have over the years sometimes used these to mask the little jolts one gets and to dull the background throbbing, for that they are reasonably safe. Use anything like this with care.

I have used glucosamine for arthritis, I think there is sometimes a benefit for myself, not always. I have a close friend who swears by it and it appears to work for his joints, and another friend who doesn't get any benefit from it. I think it is a suck it and see situation.

Mick.

Go and get a nerve block,injection of cortisone into the area around your discs,just had one about two months ago,couldn't walk more than 200 metres back,used to ache like hell,went to a neurosurgeon,he recommended it, was only ten minute procedure now right as rain. Firsly get an MRI done of your back so they can locate source of trouble,mine was L1 S5, bit of cartilage poking out from disc was impinging on my sciatic nerve and causing trouble.

It's that new drill mate. To heavy. Best send it to me.

Some good advice already given. And whatever you do, never let them talk you into a back operation.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    Try some ' Johno's pain away spray' or the cream of the same name works a treat no some things (my back pain for one ) . It was recomended to me and as It helped I will recomend it to you , you get it at chemists or natural health shops
    I wouldn't try and totally block the pain unless you know it was a false signal, if you know what I mean. Pain usually is trying to tell you something. Like""don't move like that." Localized pain just around the hips could be a pulled sacrum muscle, which a massage would help a lot. And deep heat cream. Which would also help if it is a bone thing, 'cause the muscles around it go into spasm. If it is reoccurring you must be doing something wrong. (Sorry.)

What optomark says about building core strength is also prolly necessary. And what tai chi is really good for. Or Pilarties maybe, but I haven't done that.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Left Malvern this morn. Got as far C'b'well. Whack! Parkd and got outa the car rather quickly. Stood and rested. Massive pain. Short lived though. Phew!
    My bk wasn't going to make the 4o min trip to work. Buggeer. I tried!
    A few mins later I drove bk to SWMBO place walking and leaning sideways to lean off the pain.
    Physio saw me 1o am this morn. A local. A new one too.
    Quite good....EXCEPT?

I left able to walk upright and no real pain. BUT! I got in the car and WHACK! Only just got off his table. What's going on here?

I roared outa the car and stood upright. Fast! I stood on footpath for an hr nd a half contemplating the logistics. What do I do here?

Tried again. Whack!. Tried again ten mins later. Whack! Even after some pills.

Great. High st is a clearway in a few hrs. I built up the courage to ask a nice fellow in local wine shop to move my car into his carpark. Be bk tonight to give it another go.
    I'm good to pay it forward to some else. I do that lots anyway.

Steve? I'll investigate the Gluco. Gotta be fit for the Lee and the Nth shore , ha he.
    Your right. I gotta see and realise if it's going to work for me. But it's not a cure I know!

Tea L ? I'll start to factor in the excersises with some commitment.
    Work a week to pay for the Gluco, ha he

Spirit? Will be excersising for sure. Compo? Nah. Will look bad on my resume when I apply for another job in the future. Don't feel good about that.
    But your right. It's there if I need to get paid and get better whilst keeping my job. Soooo bloody close to Xmas holidays though! Gawwwwd! I've never ever used soooo many sick days before. I don't feel honerable about that.. Oh well. That's what their there for.

Ashore? I'll look into it? Pain away spray. I mean.
    Might come in handy when I'm in Portland fishing with Steve P. Gawwwd. It's gonna take me 5 hrs to get there from Malvern. Gulp! Will stop regularly.

Mick? Good gads man. Are you in the movie trade? Stunts I mean? What on earth were you doing to end up with all that on your resume?

Your observations through your own experience offer much benefit to me and others who read. Thankyou.
    I have a belt to compress my tummy muscles. Steven P probably wont want to been seen with me whilst I wear it and have a fishing rod in my hands.
    I'm a thin to med build man. Not weight issues. I'm in ok cond and when my backs better I can actually do normal sit ups and tummy stuff so I have a chance to get myself a six pack. I only want one to save me from the pain. ha he.

Pheonix? I'm all for an injection. Hurt like hell don't they? Direct into your spine?
    Will my physio org an MRI if I ask him to? He'll just say no. Till later on I mean.

Bob? Haven't used the drill yet. Still wrapped up in it's paper a little. I've seen it. She's a big bugger alright.750 watts.
    Better for masonary work. But my darling didn't know. I'll use it as I would my cordless no probs.

Back Op? I nearly talked myself into it only a few days ago. Nah.
    I'll take your adv on that one.

Thanks all. Much to smile about. Thankyou. Tony.

Your pyshio cant organise an MRI,only neurosurgeon or specilaist,They give you a local and the needle is guided by CT scanner I walked out of the joint after ten minutes never looked back,may have to get it done again in twelve months, maybe not, so faso good.

Quote Originally Posted by rgum View Post
    Physio saw me 1o am this morn. A local. A new one too.
    Quite good....EXCEPT?

I left able to walk upright and no real pain. BUT! I got in the car and WHACK! Only just got off his table. What's going on here?
    Did he leave you laid up on the slab... errm... table, to rest for half an hour before he let you off?

Our chiro has rest rooms set aside specifically for that, with 1/2 hour timers near the bedhead. He reckons that because your back has been "out" for a while, the muscles become used to the new position. After treatment, your muscles need time to readjust before you put any strain on 'em, otherwise at the first little effort: CLICK! AAAARGH!

I'm in the same boat as you... it only goes out once every couple of years, but when it does I go neanderthal for at least a fortnight. I usually get warning signs, but I also usually forget just how bad last time was and continue, thinking "I've only got a few more floorboards <or stumps or whatever> and it'll be done..."
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I've had this problem, on and off , for some years. I don't have a real solution, but the last time it happened, about 1 year ago, I stopped work, and took a look at my life. (i'm a carpenter). Sounds stupid, but now I just refuse to do very heavy work, I bought lightweight tools (compressor, drop saw, whatever), and I regularly only work a 3 or 4 day week. I don't let anyone guilt me or greed me into doing what I don't want to do. I'm 49 now and I won't be a crippled old man.
    At first, because I always saw myself as 'macho' type I felt wierd knocking back work, and telling people I wasn''t interested in such and such a type of work. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I tried Glucosamine, mainly for my knee, which was playing up a few years ago. It certainly didn't do any harm. But I couldn't say more than that. (Mind you, my knees are both ok now?!)
    Good luck with it,
    TM

rgum first thing physio said to me was change where your wallet is take it out of your back pocket as the bulk of it can twist your hip and spine even if its empty.

Now days mobile phones and anything you wear on your hip or in your pockets would do the same.

clutch vehicles also contribute as foot is always at the ready which means hip and lower back muscles also getting in and out of vehicles APIA cars these days are lower seats badly designed.

Saying this how do office workers who sit all day end up the same

Default Sounds good.

Skew? I like what your physio does after treatment. Sounds effective.
    Should have rested for hlf n hr. Might request it on Fri.

Wheelin? I have a big purse. Mans purse . Is a wallet. You know ? The big ones that can hold docs, folded. Anyway, I stopped pocketing my wallet yrs and yrs ago. I always have it in my hand. I'm not that way inclined ha he. No jewelery or watches. Ever. Yuk!
    I'm always poor by the way.
    I don't like automatics for driving. No guts in them! BUT! When car prices come down in 18 mnths ( I'm guessing ) I'm going to be looking at a Triton 2 door ute alloy tray. Trays are longer AUTOMATIC!
    Not happy but I've taken your view on board. Gotta be worth it.
    Got the clutch leg on the go all the time except on my way to Portland. 5 hrs drv. Arggghhhhh my back! . Will stop more often too.

Scared about laying in bed tnite. Whack! if I make one wrong move. The pain is massive if I'm laying down. Just massive. Ambulance and a whole lotta embarrasement. Morphine and wheeeeeee, I'm flyin!

I get off to a good start but I gotta be soooo careful laying in bed.
    I'm shirty that I can't go into the shed for a few days. Grrrrrrrr.

Great new thoughts guys. Thanks again.

Tony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast