Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: A New CNC Build

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Sims View Post
    If it's a new one, that would be OK cos I could return that to you. If it's repaired, you'd either get your now used one back, or my repaired one. I wouldn't like to do that to you.
    Nah don't worry about that, unless you are going to tighten the screws with a cold chisel and hammer I would think it would still be in working condition when it comes back.

I will see if I can get it in the post tomorrow, you still at the same address ?

Russell.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Geoff,
    Certainly does sound like the drive is cactus - at least you checked everything out so it should be right with a replacement driver.
    The positive thing here is you got your hands dirty learning about your machine. This knowledge will help you in the future troubleshoot anything that happens. Let's hope you don't have to use it all he same.

Russell,
    Yeah paper clip and gaffa tape is all you need in the tool box. Onya for helping Geoff out of a jam.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Nah don't worry about that, unless you are going to tighten the screws with a cold chisel and hammer I would think it would still be in working condition when it comes back.

I will see if I can get it in the post tomorrow, you still at the same address ?

Russell.
    Russell

If you're happy to do it, it's a brilliant offer I can't refuse. Yeah, still at the same address. Thanks!!!!

Geoff

Alrighty then, I will do my best to get it in the mail tomorrow.

Cheers.

Russell.

One Gecko flying express post !
    All things being equal it should be there Tuesday.

Cheers.

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    One Gecko flying express post !
    All things being equal it should be there Tuesday.

Cheers.

Russell.
    Hi Russell

The Gecko arrived today. Thanks very much.

I've fitted it into my control box and it works a treat. All three axis are working nicely which confirms that I had a dud.

I'll have to wait till I hear from Gecko about a repair or replacement, but I'll get one back to you as soon as I possibly can.

By the way, I don't know if your Gecko was new, or if you've used it before, but the little on board power LED doesn't work. It's not a problem at all because the drive works beautifully and the LED will never be seen inside the control box, but if it's a new Gecko, it may be a sign of some quality control issues at Gecko. Just curious!

Thanks again Russell

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff, as far as I was aware the drive was new, I am glad it is working for you, interesting as I remember something about the LED when Mariss was designing the drive in that he was using it for voltage regulation for something as well as power indication...

No hurry to return it, I don't need it for anything in the near future, and don't worry about giving me a new one back in return, I was happy for it to be used as it was just collecting dust in my shed.

It is one of four that I won in the Geckodrive competition, I want to do something cool with them but I don't know just what that will be...my only thought so far is to make a 4 axis laser scanner...though at the rate I am finishing projects I will need to live to about 200 to make it happen

Cheers.

Russell.

Good to see you have sorted out your problems with your faulty drive Geoff,
    I see you live about 10 minutes from me, maybe we can exchange ideas as there is so much to learn.

Michael.

Hi Michael

I'd be happy to get together and exchange ideas and try to help each other out.

If you want to sort something out, send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

Hey maybe us WA's should catch up for our own greet and meet type thingo?
    If ya can't make it perfect, make it rustic

I know they meet at mcdonalds in Vicpark one sunday a month
    Never seem to get there.
    michael

Just joined here, but I feel like I've come home
    You people speak Ozlish!

I'm in Rockingham.

Best regards,
    Lin

Hi idgara

Welcome aboard

Cheers
    Geoff

Default Help!!!!!

About a month ago I had issues with a Gecko G251 driver which I sent back to the US, and in the meantime Russell (Epineh) kindly lent me a replacement so I could continue with my machine

I have managed to get everything working as it should, but have not had the luxury of some time to machine. I've tinkered around tuning and adjusting things to get it right and I've put an MDF base on the machine using Rodm's push/pull method to adjust it to within fairly fine tolerances. That was last week.

Today I finally found the time to machine a couple of panels for my control box, but I found that the X axis wouldn't move. It was fine last week, but today it was seized solid.

I ended up having to do quite a bit of dismantling to get the X axis ballscrew out and found that the ballnut had seized up solid. I don't know why as it was protected under the bed of the machine and was not subject to any dust or anything like that.

After a bit of careful, but notheless, forceful work, and a lot of WD40, I managed to get it to move, but it was very stiff and made some horrible grinding noises. I worked it for about 15 minutes, but it didn't improve.

So......any suggestions anyone? How does one repair a grinding ballscrew. Screw the ballnut off the end of the screw and see what's inside?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff
    It sounds like a bit of swarf has found it's way into the nut. Another possibility is you might have had a ball bearing fail - only needs one to fail. Those are the most logical answers if it was working OK last time you used it. I am surprised as the nut has nylon wipers on it to prevent this sort of thing. Did you use compressed air to clean down your machine as that might be the problem to note for the future.

Those pieces of orange plastic on the nut might be able to be removed and you can wriggle the ball bearings out to save running the nut to the end and risk damage to the screw. Do all this over a towel as the ball bearings have a way of bouncing around the paddock. If you can't get the orange covers off then run your nut to the end and catch the ball bearings. Examine what comes out of the nut so that you know what you are dealing with. Count the ball bearing that come out of the nut as you will need to know this to make sure you get the right number on assembly.

I have spare nuts so if it is drastic there is no need to wait for one to be shipped. You can also replace the ball bearings as they are usually standard 1/8 ball bearings but you should measure half a dozen of them with a micrometer to make sure. I can help out there and I might have some ball bearing in a drawer somewhere.

Repacking the ball bearings is an adventure first time so rather than prattle on let's find out what is happening first.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast