Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: A New CNC Build

Hi All

My build has been a bit quiet for the last week or so.

Mechanical construction is all but finished and I'm just waiting on delivery of my stepper motors to finish it off. When I've got some spare dollars, I'll order some cable chain, but that can wait for a while.

I've got all my components, fittings and an enclosure for my power supply and drivers, so I'll start putting that together in the next couple of days. Need to get a couple of cooling fans as well.

Is there any particular kind of cable one should use for wiring up the stepper motors, bearing in mind that they'll be moving all the time within the cable chain? I would imagine some kind of 4 core shielded multistranded cable would be ideal, but microphone cable is a bit light on for the current requirements of the steppes I would think. Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Geoff

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Geoff,
    As long as it keeps moving along it doesn't matter how long it takes to finish.
    In Perth we do not have the choices our counterparts over east have so I have used this quite successfully on my machines for motor cabling.
    http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=W3121
    It is rated at 7.5 amps and is multistrand. I use microphone shielded cable for limits, etc.
    Last edited by rodm; 14th May 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Edited part number and specs - had the wrong cable
    Cheers,
    Rod

As another option to what Rod has already pointed out.

Electrical suppliers, like where electricians buy their stuff, will have 1.5mm four core flex. It matches well with the four pin sockets we use.

Greg

Hi Geoff,
    Another option is Jaycar with this 6 core alarm cable WB1598 @ $1.15 per metre or $32.95 for 30 metres WB1596. The specs are 7 strands of 0.2 per core. They do have 4 core but it is a little lighter @ 7 x 0.18 per core.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Gents

Thanks for your suggestions re the cable. I'll have a look at them all.

I'm happy to say my steppers have arrived from China today, so I'd better get these electronics wired up so I can make it move. I've also ordered some cable chain which will arrive on Tuesday. Lots to do.

Another question. Where can one get hold the cable that goes from the BOB to the computer connector on the front of the control box. I noticed the one used on the box Rodm made up here: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...6&d=1240830834.

Cheers
    Geoff

Answered my own question. Found what I need on Peter Homann's site.

Cheers

Hi Geoff,
    I made that one using parts from Altronics.
    Cheers,
    Rod

What was your experience like in getting the steppers from China?
    Any problems or things to be aware of?

Hi Rod

I'd thought of doing the same, but thought soldering such small wires onto the D25 panel socket may be a bit of a trial. How did you find it, fiddly?

Hi Geoff

I had no problems getting the steppers from China once I knew exactly what I wanted.

You'll find the part numbers for the motors are not the same as you would find for instance on the Kelings site, so you need to be sure you're getting what you want. They'll give you their equivalent part number but you need to get a spec sheet from them to make sure they are the correct motors. For example, the motors I wanted were the 23H284-35-4B as listed on the Keling site, but the MS-Motor part number was 24H290-35-4B. Exactly the same specs though.

Communication was OK. Their freight charges are outrageous, but they're still cheaper overall.

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff,
    They are easy as it is a clamp style connector - no soldering needed. If you have a hard drive IDE cable they clamp over the ribbon the same as those.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hi Rod, I see by your post time you had an early start/late finish

Geoff, as it happens I have a swag of those connectors, I was going to use them for a project and decided on something else, I was only thinking the other day what on earth I was going to use them for, not like I am going to build 30 CNC routers any time soon...

If you would like, send me the length of cable you need and I can make it up for you, and pop it into the post. At least one pair will be put to use...lol.

Cheers.

Russell.

Hi Rod

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty straight forward. I hate trying to solder wires I can barely see.

Hey Russell....thanks for your kind offer. I'll measure the length needed and PM you tomorrow.

Cheers
    Geoff

No Prob Geoff, send me the length and your address and it is as good as done.

Cheers.

Russell.

Russell,

I have a roll of ribbon wire (I think that is what it is called!) and have tried to make some leads in the past with the DB25 connectors, but could not work out a suitable way of squeezing the things together. What is the trick?

Cheers,

Alan
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Hi Alan,
    I have a small hand made press for this work but you can use a vice with soft vice jaws, either copper or aluminium.

I have also used a sacafical female conector to protect the male connector while crunching.

The biggest problem can be keeping the ribbon square to the connector so it helps to cut the ribbon square first as this gives you a guide to work from.

Cheers
    Steve