Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: A New CNC Build

Hi Russell. PM sent.

Cheers

OK folks.....another question.

It's now about the time I need to arrange some kind of spindle for my machine. My original intention was to buy one of the chinese spindles and VFD, but since my employment status has changed, and with it, my income, I can't stretch to that at the moment.

I've been leaning towards a milwaukee die grinder, but noticed mention of a KRESS spindle in another post. They are at a similar price point(about $280AU including shipping), but apparently intended for CNC work with a slightly larger collet as well. Does anyone have one of these spindles or a recommendation about them versus the die grinder option?

http://www.cnc-plus.de/product_info....ee55f687333097

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Geoff

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Geoff

I think Daniel has one and also Eclipse. Both have reported that they like them a lot.

Because they are made for this sort of use, more effort has gone into the precision of the businees end and collets than a typical die grinder.

Collets are much cheaper than for my Millwalkee but still cost a bit. They do have a good selection of sizes which my Millwalkee does not. They have 1/4" and 1/8" which are, to my mind, what you want at least.

If you can get it for a similar price to a Millwalkee or Bosch then I think it would be the better way to go.

Greg

PS, I don't think the small model (530) has variable speed but the 800 does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Russell,

I have a roll of ribbon wire (I think that is what it is called!) and have tried to make some leads in the past with the DB25 connectors, but could not work out a suitable way of squeezing the things together. What is the trick?

Cheers,

Alan
    Hi Alan, I just kinda get it all together by hand as much as possible and use pliers from there, it seems to go together reasonably well, I just nip up a little at a time without trying to go the whole way at once.

One easy trick is to make sure the number of cores is correct, 26 cores wont go so well into a 25 way connector...I can vouch for that

Cheers.

Russell.

Thanks Greg

I was leaning towards the KRESS spindles since they are meant for the purpose. You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It is the 800w unit I'm interested in.

Unless I get any particularly negative comments, I think that's the way I'll go. I'll get some other size collets as well.

Cheers
    Geoff

Thinking about collet sizes, what are the most common sizes of milling cutters used on a CNC router? Having never been down this road before, it's all new to me.

Greg, you mentioned in your last post 1/4" and 1/8". Should I be looking at metric (6mm & 3mm), or are the cutters actually 6.35 (1/4") and 3.175mm(1/8"). What do I need for normal router bits? Do I need additional spindle nuts as well?

Shows how little I know about this stuff, eh? Lots to learn.

If I order the extra collets with the spindle, I avoid extra shipping charges.

Cheers
    Geoff

Hi Geoff, personally I use the 1/4 inch router bits, they seem to be the easiest to find and most common, I would like to have a 1/8th collet though, some of those small PCB type cutters would be handy for some jobs, not only PCB's...

I have asked around here for a 1/8th collet for my DeWalt laminate trimmer but get blank stares for my troubles.

I would go the 1/4 and 1/8 collets, this should cover most of what you need, my 2c anyway

Cheers.

Russell.

Hi Geoff,
    You can get by with just 1/8 and 1/4 collets for both router bits and mill cutters. Just make sure when you order router bits that they have a 1/4 inch shank and you have a choice of either 1/8 or 1/4 shank for mill bits.
    When I started I only used 1/4 inch router bits but now I use solid carbide on everything.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hi Russell,
    I was typing while you answered so apologies for jumping over your post.
    I use JL271 from McJing on my Milwaulkee and Bosch die grinders for 1/8 bits - work a treat and only $5.00 each.
    http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybro...categoryid=871
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Sims View Post
    Thinking about collet sizes, what are the most common sizes of milling cutters used on a CNC router? Having never been down this road before, it's all new to me.

Greg, you mentioned in your last post 1/4" and 1/8". Should I be looking at metric (6mm & 3mm), or are the cutters actually 6.35 (1/4") and 3.175mm(1/8"). What do I need for normal router bits? Do I need additional spindle nuts as well?
    I have a small milling machine and regularly use almost the whole range of collets that I have for it.

However on my router I only ever use 1/4" and 1/8" even though I have a full range of collet sizes for it. The exception to that is recently Rod kindly gave me some 6mm ballnose bits. Up until then I never used the other sizes.

Yes that is 1/4" and 1/8" or 6.35mm and 3.175mm. They would be the sizes I would start with for a router.

Greg

Russell, Rod, Greg

Thanks very much for your advice. I've now decided to order the KRESS 800 spindle, 1/4" & 1/8" collets and a couple of spare sets of brushes. If you guys think of anything else I need, let me know.

I'll order the spindle tomorrow.

Cheers
    Geoff

I just bought a 1/8 and 1/4 from USA, but when the spindle arrived it had a 1/8 collet installed.
    I decided to go with ER11, because if I ever need to engrave anything reasonably large in timber, I have a range of 1/4 router bits including a v bit 1 1/4dia which should cater for even large lettering (I hope!).

Cheers,

Alan
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Bit the bullet and ordered the KRESS 800 spindle from CNC-Plus. The spindle plus extra 1/4" and 1/8" collets and a spare set of brushes cost me $280AU delivered from Germany which I think is an absolute bargain.

The best price I could find for a Milwaukee die grinder was $246 + shipping so I'm very happy.

Got some cable chain to pick up tomorrow, so I think I've got everything I need to finish the machine.

Gonna have a busy weekend. The forecast is for rain so I'll be stuck indoors.....in the shed that is.

Default Construction Finished

I haven't put any photos of my build on since mid April. Have done a lot since then.

I had some issues then with racking of the Y axis gantry by as much as 5 or 6mm across the width of the machine. I modified the gantry by using a wider web across the top and bottom and put some gussets on the top. There was also a little bit of play in the bottom drive plate which I fixed by drilling a couple of extra holes in each end and fitting roll pins.

These measures tightened things up nicely and eliminated the racking.

Next I needed to fit the X axis ballscrew. I mounted it on a plate under the bed, complete with the stepper motor. I didn't want the stepper mounted on the end of the machine where it would be at a height which would make it vulnerable to damage. I intend to extend the shaft through the end of the machine and fit a knob so that I can manually make fine adjustments as needs be. Once the bed goes on the machine it will be protected from swarf and dust.

Finally, I mounted my cable chain along both X and Y axis. The photos should be self explanatory.

I'm fairly pleased with the end result as there's no discernible play in any of the axis yet it all moves smoothly and freely. All I have to do now is a bit of fine adjustment, run and hookup the cables and finish assembling my control box. When my spindle arrives, I'll have to organise a mount for it and hopefully, it will all work. It sounds so simple, but I know it won't be.

Cheers

Hi Geoff,
    Looking at the photos it is obvious you have taken the time and thought about each component. The machine looks like it should and has been finished well.
    Hopefully it will be a making a noise soon.
    Cheers,
    Rod