Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Incra marking rules and t-rules

Can anyone tell me if the Incra marking rules and t-rules are as insanely clever and useful to have in the shed as they seem?

I'm slowly building up my tool collection and need a good rule. I guess the thing is the groovy slots are not so much use if you want to use a knife for marking.

Those fancy red woodpeckers rules look nice too.

Choices, choices, choices.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I just bought the incra straight rule & the centering rule. I love the centering rule, i've used it heaps in the short time i've had it. Truely fine craftsmanship.

I have a 300mm T rule, pretty handy but you must use a mechanical pencil anything else is useless.
    They are indexed to .25mm, I think the 150mm would be better as the 300 can be tricky to use as in keeping the fence square to the board if marking out past the halfway point.(they both have the same length fence of about 100mm long)

Why ? I use a scriber on mine. I would ahve thought a fine pointed knife would work ok.

IMO the T rule is the most useful but then I don't have the centering rule. I bought the 18" 3 in one set. The T rule can do the job of the flat rule and while the bend rule is mildly useful I could live without it. The T rule does many things, see video at incra.com.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

rrich Guest

Please forgive the imperial measurements but I've never seen the ruler in metric. A metric version should be available there.

Incra has a six inch ruler with their typical slots and holes for the .5 mm pencil except this ruler is different. This ruler is folded lengthwise into a right angle. The ruler is not very expensive but is one of the more useful measuring tools in my shop.

I especially like using the ruler to transfer lines around the sides of the timber that I'm working with. Another great use is to slide the ruler against a rail or stile and be able to accurately measure and mark on two surfaces at once.

I frequently use my Incra T-Rule and find it invaluable.

Mike
    www.ColonialPlantationShutters.com.au
    Use your garage or home workshop to make Plantation Shutters as a business

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses folks. I do quite like the idea of the t-rules and might get myself a 150mm version.

As far as the marking rules go, I know Incra promote its ability to follow curves as a positive, but I just feel like I'd want something solid, so I might grab a more conventional 300 or 600mm rule, maybe the new woodpecker one.

Thanks again for your feedback.

So, I placed my order with Professional Woodworkers Supplies late yesterday and was very surprised to see the courier pull into my driveway just after 2pm today. Less than 24 hours. Nice.

I got the 150mm Incra T-rule and the 600mm woodpeckers precision rule. Here's my initial take:

Woodpeckers rule. I've never owned a ruler greater than 300mm before. This thing is big. Obviously I knew how long it would be, but it's about 56mm wide too, and quite thick & solid. Not sure what else to say about a rule. Straight. Accurate as far as I can tell. Red. Looks reasonably impressive on the peg board.

Incra t-rule. I really like this. It's a brilliant little tool. I've only used it to draw a bunch of parallel lines on my bench so far. but it does that extremely well. I'm not sure if I'd like the 300 mm rule as it really is quite flexible. this is fine for 150mm but I feel like it might bother me on something 300mm long. I've used it with a knife as well as the pencil and that works too, you just need to take note of how you position the knife in the hole/slot, but if you drag your knife with the rule it tends to stay centred. The only other issue is that it is meant to be useable as a height gauge too, with markings along the end. However, the 150mm version seems narrower than the 6" and the locking knobs extend beyond the edge of the rule. So you can't actually sit it flat on edge unless the knob hangs over the side of your bench/workpiece. ie, this version is pretty much useless for measuring router bit height like in their little video.

In spite of that I'm very happy with my purchase and super happy with the service for Professional Woodworkers Supplies.

I still need to get a 300mm ruler (my old cheap one is bent and is metric/imperial and those inch markings drive me nuts). Don't think I'll go the Incra marking or t-rule in this length mainly for the flex issues, but may well get another woodpeckers shiny red ruler in the shorter length, or could be tempted by the Incra bend rule. Unless I happen across another fancy schmancy rule in the mean time.

My incra T rule & bend rule arrived on thursday.
    All i can say is 'sweeeeeeeeeT'!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattrap View Post
    My incra T rule & bend rule arrived on thursday.
    All i can say is 'sweeeeeeeeeT'!
    What lengths did you get? What do you think of the bend rule?

They are both 150mm rules. The bend rule makes marking round corners really easy. Its not like they are tools that u can't do without after all u can do all the jobs they do with a normal square rule but these are just so neat & easy to use & i just can't say no to cool little gagets.

If you like cool gadgets, get one of these for setting router bit height.
    www.ColonialPlantationShutters.com.au
    Use your garage or home workshop to make Plantation Shutters as a business

Incra have a jig for setting router/saw heights. Very neat and fairly cheap.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Is that the "Incra gauge"?