Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default infill shoulder planes vs infill rebate planes

I have a plane identical to the one that ZSteve has discussed in this thread here

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=69905

I bought it to use as a shoulder plane, because that's what I thought it was, but while trying to identify its maker, I've found most websites refer to a rectangular infill plane like this one as a rebate plane. A good example is this site here

http://www.antiquetools.com/perm-col...ing/index.html (click link titled more info on shoulder planes is available)

My question is, is this plane a shoulder plane or a fine rebate plane? Does it mattter?The bedding angle is pretty low, so I assumed it would be designed for cross grain work, not rebates.

I want to use it as a shoulder plane, and it would be good to know if I'm off base.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Silver,

Can't really see why the rebate couldn't be used to do shoulders as the geometry is basically similar. Rebates can be cross grain or with grain and I don't see why they rebate plane could not be used on its side in the manner you intended it for.

The infill shoulder planes were just more shapely than the rebate planes, so I gues that may help with being better able to hold the plane when on its side - maybe.

You can only give it a go.

Regards,
    Steve

SS

As far as I am concened, those are shoulder planes, not rebate planes.

A shoulder plane is a precision instrument and works by removing fine shavings. It will have a tight mouth.

A rebate plane is designed to removed waste quickly, and so will have a wider mouth. It also needs to work to a depth and a width, so will use a fence and a depth stop.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

I asked Terry Gordon why his rebate plane was completely wooden and his shoulder planes had brass bodies. He believes the wooden bodies glide over the wood easier when making rebates (going with the grain), but then he proceeded to make a rebate with a 1/2 inch shoulder plane. I believe they would both work as well as each other and your choice may come down to aesthetics or opportunity.

thanks for the information, that clears it up really well.