Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Female Upholsterer

Im considering becoming an upholsterer. Does anyone know if it is difficult being a female upholsterer? Is it necessary to be fairly strong (apart from moving furniture around of couse!)?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My youngest brother is an upholsterer, some years ago he married. His new wife, thought she could help in the business, she did.
    I don't really think there was much impediment with her being of the so called weaker sex, there is always a way around a problem or situation.

I have another friend who is an upholsterer in country Victoria, he met his current wife about 12 years ago, she, after a short time, started to help, now I would say she does some things better than he does. I don't even think there was ever a question about whether or not she could do it, she just did.

Go for it.

Mick.

Forgot to mention that my sister in-law is a largish framed person, but isn't a strong person. Although being a mother and wife, has certainly made her stronger

My friend's wife in the country is a small framed person, wiry type. She has reasonably bad arthritis in her hands, however she manages to somehow get things done with a bit of lateral thinking. She started doing upholstery in her early fifties, still doing it at retirement age.

Mick.

Hi Krisb

I'm a female woodworker and when I first started woodwork, I wondered if i'd have to start lifting weights so I could lift my own timber.

I soon learned what my limits are and have been able to work around them without any problems.

So, I too, say Go for it You'd be surprised how great our minds are at solving such problems.

cheers
    Wendy

Default Girls can do anything!

Go for it! I'm female, have never learned upholstery as a trade, but have still managed to reupholster several lounge suites, with help from books and good observation skills. Don't worry about your strength. You need more brains than brawn, I would say, and anyway, your strength will build up as you work, from day to day.

Some of the best I have known were ladies.

If you do any auto work, things can bit heavy.

I think the ladies have a better eye for details sometimes.

Maybe you could get into sail making as well!

Hello Kris,
    Just like to echo the others. If it's really necessary to be shifting or lifting weights that are too heavy for you, just think ceiling beam and block and tackle.....or failing ceiling beam, auto fulcrum lever on wheels.

I delight in all the gym fees I've saved from creating my own weight lifting workouts at home! (More time, more fun, more money=more workshop toys!!)

Clare.

Being in the trade for over 30 years, in factory situations I have had female employees. You will find that today it would be quite difficult for a girl to work day in and day out lifting and carrying couches all day long and having to put out a certain quota EVERY day. It is not easy work in a production situation, it is hard and you HAVE to be fast but if you think you can do it , go for it. Most factories today employ young men who are not upholsterers but "tackers". Even the older fellows find it difficult to keep up with what is required. Not too many blokes over 35 work on production lines anymore. One tradesman for about a dozen "tackers" is the going thing these days purely to cut labour costs. Maybe think about other manufacturers such as commercial office furniture ( much lighter work ) or a small restoration shop. Most women are much better than us blokes when it comes to the cutting and sewing so consider that side of it as well. It is a lot different than liking "hobby" upholstering and doing it commercially or for a living. Good Luck.
    Neil

One of the upholsterers i use is a woman, she started about 5 years ago and just moved into larger premises.

She's booked up 4 months ahead.

I use her when my clients want something a bit differerent as she has a better eye for contempory matching with antique, and more imagination than the blokes.

Lifting is a matter of science not strengh

yes you can. Mum ran an upholstery shop and when she had to be operated on. I had to fill and there was nothing that i could not manage. you think of it us woman manuevoure furniture on most days. Kids move a chair we move it back. We decide to change a house around and away we go done deal. So look rest assured you will manage ti with not too much drama
    Toni