Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: 066 project saw

Default 066 project saw

The arborist who provides most of the logs I mill was rationalizing his stock of saws and had a used Stihl 066 in bits which had a stuck ring so he gave it to me in a box as a project saw.

I could have probably just replaced the piston and rings and given the barrel a light hone and it would have been OK but following the experiences of the CS gurus on another site I decided to install a Bailey's Big Bore kit on it. The kit includes, barrel, piston, rings, wrist pin and clips. It uses a 56 mm as opposed to the usual 54 mm size piston increasing the cc from 91.6 to 98.5. Including delivery the price of the kit was less than AUS$200. According to the gurus there is not much increase in HP but the torque goes up significantly.

Installation was pretty straight forward and cold compression was 165 psi. It started on about the 5th pull and a quick carby adjust had it purring at idle and screaming at full rpm. I will have to get a tacho onto it before starting the full break in period

The only thing missing from the box was the outside dog, and the clutch cover was in poor shape with several corrosion holes. I was going to buy a new clutch cover, instead I bogged it up with JB Weld and gave the cover a quick respray. The colour is not a deliberate match - it was just stuff I already had in my shed.

More for fun than any real application I decided to make new oversize dogs from some 3.2 mm steel plate. The dogs are coated in pot belly black and baked in the BBQ at 200Cº for an hour.

The only other thing it really needed was a new sprocket. Eventually I will try it out on my mill but I will need to make an adapter plate so for now it will be my cross cutting saw.

While I break it in it will just be a cross cutting saw but of course I cannot resist fiddling with it so I have already turned up some 10 mm bar bolts so I can use my full set of 076/088 bars (25, 30, 42 and 60") and chains.

Next project is an adapter plate to fit the BIL mill

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks mean now with those new dogs.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Looks mean now with those new dogs.
    Yeah, I agree they do look mean. Although they provide fantastic leverage for crosscutting, those big dogs are completely unnecessary for Aussie trees. They are really designed for flakey thick barked softwoods and I will take them off if I can find the original set.

I am a little surprised at how mechanically flimsy and plasticky the 066 seems compared to the 076, but I understand the 066 is still a one tough saw. It also seems a lot louder than the 076 - or maybe it's outputting different frequencies since I am already legally deaf in the 2-4 kHz band! I have been using various 066's at the milling yard to tidy up logs before milling and I find I have to use ear plugs plus ear muffs otherwise my ears physically hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    ....since I am already legally deaf in the 2-4 kHz band! I have been using various 066's at the milling yard to tidy up logs before milling and I find I have to use ear plugs plus ear muffs otherwise my ears physically hurt!
    I use muffs for everything now, mowing, angle grinder, whipper snipper, I even use them if I just move the tractor.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I think most log fallers would prefer your dogs Bob. They take the weight of the saw when putting in the belly and pivot to the back cut.
    Can't believe you made them yourself.

cheers
    Steve

That was quick mate, when you showed me the saw last week I assumed you had just received it and were awaiting parts still. Looks great!

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Stopper View Post
    I think most log fallers would prefer your dogs Bob. They take the weight of the saw when putting in the belly and pivot to the back cut.
    Can't believe you made them yourself.

cheers
    Steve
    Cheers Steve,

It was quite easy to do. I just laid the existing dogs (had to borrow the outboard one from another saw) on the steel plate and traced around them. I then just enlarged the teeth on one of the dogs till they looked about right. Then I traced around the teeth of the modified dog and overlayed it onto the other using the chain catcher bolt hole as a reference. That made sure the dogs aligned reasonably well.

I cut the steel out as much as I could with a thin kerf metal cutting wheel on a table saw. Then I drilled the inner curves with a half inch drill and used a die grinder with a carbide bit to tidy up the inner curves and a belt sander to round the outer curves. Finally I used a small drum sander on a dremel to sand the edges smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    That was quick mate, when you showed me the saw last week I assumed you had just received it and were awaiting parts still. Looks great!

Cheers,
    Mike
    As you know I don't muck about heck no - it's no kids and wife too busy riding horses! Plenty of shed time in between feverish bouts of exam marking!