Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Default How life can change in a week.

This week has had more change/effect than any other in my life that i can remember.

Tuesday - my mate that has suffered from Crohns disease for the past 14 years (the past 3 with the Sh!ts 24/7. Over the last 4 months he lost control of his bowels to the point it was embarassing for him to go off the farm. During the past 4 years his weight has decreased from 88 KG to 60 KG as well. He refused to have a "colostrum bag" operation although the doctors offered it for the last 2 years.

He was a neighbour when i managed a farm for 10 years (i have left there 11 years ago) and for the past 15 years since his brother died i have helped him on his farm with the 2 man jobs and for the past 5 years that has increased to anything that required a bit of strength and for the past year i needed to get my brother to do the 2 man jobs with me. He was a 66 YO batchelor that would not have travelled more than 50km from home, on more than 10 occasions - he went over the westgate bridge twice. He never bothered to et his licence but still drove everywhere. This was apart from when we used to go to Maryborough/Trentham/Daylesford/Ballan to play golf on Sundays before he got crook the last 3 years or so.

Anyway after being in hospital since 17th October and the past week on life support he passed away on Tuesday when the life support was wound back. The old bast*rd fought to the end but alas determination cannot always prevail. I sat with him for the last 4 days for about 2 - 3 hours each morning and night. (the hospital staff were magnificent the way they looked after him and put up with me at 6 am or 11 pm after spending the day on the farm helping him out)

I shed a tear, had a sook then realised that he's at peace now - reunited with his brother who was also his best mate.

Thursday - So we buried him Thursday morning and a huge crowd turned up with a do at the pub afterwards. A great finish to a sad event. More cups of tea.

Friday - Off to the Solicitors on Friday at 4pm to hand in the financial papers (bank statements, superannuation, investments etc) they asked me to collect and bring in. The solicitor told me to come in handed me a copy of the will, i sat down and you could have knocked me off the chair with a feather when i was told the farm had been left to me. Another person received some cash but basically he left most to me. I didnt know what to say, do, think, i was absolutely flabagasted, i didnt do any of this for gain i did it to help a bloke that needed help, never expecting anything in return.

So what am i going to do now my life has changed from renting a house, spending all my spare time helping my old mate to owning the bloody thing and a brain so spun out that it doesnt seem to register what has happened.

Saturday - i get up ring my mate who drove me out to the farm and had a look around with me, gave me his thoughts on the house and other things, and back home to Balarat for a cup of tea. Phone rings and my SIL says my daughter has just given me my first grandchild Ashley/Ashlee Jaide/Jade/Jayde (no bloogy idea yet.) both her and mum well.

So how was your week - mundane i bet.

Cheers all from the confused one - tell him he's dreamin!!!!!!!!!!!
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It is sad that your old mate is gone, but its nice to hear when something good happens to good people in the end.

Your mate must have really valued your friendship and support. He did not think that this windfall was undeserved, and knows that someone he trusts will continue his work. You're not likely to forget him.
    prozac

Woodworkforums, cheaper than therapy...........

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by prozac View Post
    Your mate must have really valued your friendship and support. He did not think that this windfall was undeserved, and knows that someone he trusts will continue his work. You're not likely to forget him.
    Prozac is right, he really must have valued your friendship and this is his way of saying Thank you for being there for him.

By the way, Congratulations on the new grandchild and it is good to hear both are doing well.

Hi Grandpa, mate, you did what you could to help a mate when he needed help, he's just returning the favour.

Sit down with a beer,have a think, move in and get the shed organised as now you have toys and stuff to make for the youngun and who knows a whole new start maybe.
    Enjoy
    Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Calm its Karma it does happen and for reasons

sorry for your loss, it takes a man to admit he can feel the way you did re your friendship.

that smile on your dial re new grandchild will brighten your future also not to mention the farm where she can come visit and grow.

Just think you can now host a woodies get together in your new shed/s

Life can be funny. My twin brothers greatest fear was to die in a
    nursing home. He was at the home feeding his step mother, we
    were adopted by different families, and suffered a massive heart
    attack and died at the nursing home.

Our prayers are with you.

Brad and Kimber

I need that knock me down with a feather smiley again. What an amazing week you have had. A beautiful story of freindship. Congratulations on your grandchild too. I guess you'll work out the spelling soon. (I need too give you a hug I think. :bighug: )

Hows my week been? All I did was get a good part time job. Not quite the farm but.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Sorry to hear about your mate, Calm. Sounds like a dreadful way to go, but at least he had someone like you supporting him till the end.
    Congratulations on becoming a grandfather, and of course, the windfall! It was the best way your old mate could say thanks.

Regards,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

I have to agree with Andy, it shows how much your mate valued your friendship and assistance over the years. It's a sorry thing to see your friends pass on but that is the way of life.

BTW, you now need to change your will.

Dave

Sorry to hear about your mate. But grandkid and a windfall mean that there was a real smooth to go with the rough!

Don't want to rain on your parade, but don't spend the windfall quite yet - are your mate's family cool with the change to the will? If not, that can get expensive if they challenge the will or try to claim that they have a "family provision" claim. And as Groggy said - change your will.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Congrats Calm - a little GrandDaughter

Sorry to hear about your friend passing. You gave him the best gift possible, unreserved/unconditional friendship, love and acceptance as he was. That is the best gift I can think of ever giving/receiving.

What goes around comes around.

Good luck Calm!!

Nice to see that your mate appreciated your
    assistance and friendship over the years.

Glad to hear you are a "Grandpa" and hope
    all is well for your daughter and the little one.

Allan
    Life is short ... smile while you still have teeth.

It seem to me that you're the right one for the farm, and the farm's right for you, and that's how your friend saw it. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast