Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Colombo Spindle or similar high frequency motor

Hi all,
    I was not sure where to leave this thread but this seems the most likely place.
    I am building a CNC gantry router and would like to purchase a colombo spindle or some type of high frequency AC drive like it that doesn't have to have an auto tool changing setup on-board.

I have made a prototype router and attached a cheap 1/4" router to it but it chews through the brushes at an alarming rate! I have worn out 8 sets of them at $16 a pair after about 200 hours of testing (it takes alot of time to learn these things on your own)
    Any help or a bit of steering in the right direction would be great and much apreciated. This is a great forum and you all have a wealth of knowledge that I would like to pick at. Any WEB sites you can recommend?
    warm regards
    Richard.
    Last edited by Dirt magnet; 23rd April 2004 at 06:20 PM.
    No-one is completely useless.
    They can always serve as a bad example!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Your definitely delving into something that I know very little about here.

But if your burning out so many brushes you must be loading up the router something chronic. Wouldn’t a heavier duty router be better? The cheap ones are after all only for light domestic use, Just a thought………………..

Dave

what make of router have you been using?
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

www.cnczone.com has an oz-nz subforum. Try asking there.
    seeuthere
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default Router Type

Hi guys,
    I'm currently using a 700 Watt GMC which cost about $75 last year. (yes, I can hear you scream from here!)The reason I used that type was because the CNC stuff was all just a prototype and I wasn't very sure how things would turn out power wise etc. for the stepper motors and if it would push the weight of it all around. It turned out much better than expected and has gone through a lot of transitions over the last year refining it.
    I am now building a 4' x 6' servo drive closed loop system and casting the side frames and motor mounts in Al and using chrome rod and linear bearings throughout with ball screws for the drive.
    I use deskART, DeskProto-lite and some other cheap programs like Desk Engrave (free) to run it all. Some of the files using DeskART can take up to 4-5 hours to complete cutting and only about 100 thou deep at the most so there isn't much load in the motor at all. I have the speed turned down to about half to cut the noise down so I don't have too many complaining neighbors. So far it has been great.
    It is an interesting path to travel and a great learning experience and I think I'll take a few pics of the progress and leave here on this forum for some food for thought for the interested. Now to find a good (cheap) spindle drive.
    I have a triton 1/2 " router that I may use but I want to keep the noise down and as you know these things scream when cutting. I am toying with the idea of mounting a 1 Hp 2800rpm induction motor on it geared down 3 : 1 and see how that goes with some added trampoline springs to counteract the weight. More food for thought.
    Thank you for replying.
    warm regards
    Richard.
    P.S.
    I have also made a 4 metre long CNC lathe, made from 2" water pipe, for turning verandah posts which I haven't used yet as its hard to find programs for. I think I will have to learn how to program in G-code and give it a whirl but until then I have Turbo Cad 6 and will try a DXF file first. I will post a pic when I dig it out from all the rubbish lying around it. Cheers.
    No-one is completely useless.
    They can always serve as a bad example!