Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What about renting one down there, I'm pretty sure that Kennards have a wide range of ladders.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    What about renting one down there, I'm pretty sure that Kennards have a wide range of ladders.
    Yep, but I'd still have to chuck it on the roof of the car and drive long distances (well, long for Tassie anyway ;) as the house is a fair distance from the type of place where a Kennards would probably be (solid 2 hours drive from both Hobart or Launnie) even though I haven't checked yet. That's then also half a day of lost time getting it and taking it back.

I might look into that further though. There is a small yet decent hardware closeby but I'm not sure of their available range or hire-ability.

Steve.

No Kennards in Tassie (I just checked), but see this link for some possiblities:
    http://www.yellowpages.com.au/bi/hir...69-pages1.html

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAndBelle View Post
    I actually have a ladder down there already ... one of those funky multi-fold jobbies that's more than adequate to do 99% of jobs around the house and get up on the roof etc. however it's just not long enough to allow me to safely reach the peak sections of the walls on each end of the house. I might be able to reach if I stood on the top rung of the multifold and if the ladder was elevated off the ground 500mm or so but there's no way I'm going to do that for obvious reasons.
    Steve

have you heard about extension poles for paint rollers?
    one will easily make up for the missing 500mm of ladder length.

ian

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence Christopha. Although the test drive went well I'm still a bit nervous about it but then I consider that to be a healthy attitude and should keep me more alert to the risks etc. Keep your eyes on the TV though, you might see us on the news being interviewed on why the remains of four bikes were found scattered across a NSW or VIC highway. Lets hope that's the worst that happens ... gulp.
    Steve

sitting here in my armchair I don't really like the look of your setup either.

It looks as though most of your rear lights and indicators are obscured and seeing out the back of the Corolla is a bit iffy if not impossible.

Don't think being a bit nervous now will save you after you've driven for a couple of hours down the freeway from Brissey and developed the "she's apples" complacency.

How well have you planned this trip?
    how many days will you be on the road?
    where are you stopping each night?
    how do you propose sharing the driving between yourself and the other people in the car?
    how experienced are they at driving long distances and how well can they immitate the performance profile of a truck in rolling terrain?
    do you have a toll tag so you can use the motorway through Sydney?

ian
    BTW when you leave the freeway turn your cruise control off

Are you for real

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

It's OK, without these guys the Xmas road toll would be boring as batshite..

He has tried it out at 155kph just to make sure that it's completely lethal. I hope, instead of taking them in the coRoller, he sends his own family down all loaded on the same postie bike with 24 chickens and a pig, they will be safer!

I remember a photo doing the rounds on the net a couple of years ago of a 4 cylinder shopping trolley similar to the Corolla loaded with about a ton of ply sheets. This thing might not have a ton on its' lid but the suspension, the body and the brakes just aren't meant to be abused like this. He may get to Tassie in one piece or he may just kill some poor innocent family on his way. He probably won't give a toss either way....
    Last edited by Christopha; 9th December 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: more sarcasm needed to be added

Anyone ever been to the middle east or africa?

Compared to the loaded up old cars you see over there he could fit another few people.

In terms of safety? The Corolla is rated to tow 450kg. I can assure you that Toyota would have rated this with a full load of people and luggage as well, plus a good deal of margin on the safety side. I can't see a roof box + ladder + 4 bikes + luggage overloading this.

It might be wise to drive sensibly, but you should be fine. If your bike rack does not come with one, you can get a strap which connects to the roof of your car from the bike rack. This will stop the bikes from bouncing as much.

Good luck,

Tom

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

The 450 kg load is rated for the bloody tow bar, not on top of the friggin roof!
    The pinhead is an accident waiting to happen to some other poor barsteward because he is a selfish dill who has no consideration for other road users..... and the halfwit has done 155kph like that!
    IDIOT!

ok, delete me now.
    Last edited by Christopha; 9th December 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: cruk spelig

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Anyone ever been to the middle east or africa?

Compared to the loaded up old cars you see over there he could fit another few people.
    no doubt. but there Steve and the rest of us would accept a level of risk 1000 times what's acceptable here
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    The Corolla is rated to tow 450kg. I can assure you that Toyota would have rated this with a full load of people and luggage as well, plus a good deal of margin on the safety side. I can't see a roof box + ladder + 4 bikes + luggage overloading this.

It might be wise to drive sensibly, but you should be fine.
    Tom
    being rated to tow 450kg has more to do with the Corolla's ability to stop an unbraked trailer and the strength of the towbar mountings than any margin of safety determined by Toyota — someone else can check the appropriate ADR, but my recollection is that the towing mass limit is set by regulation at some fixed proportion of the towing vehicle's bare mass.

Given that Steve is off on an extended holiday in Tassie and that his roof box likely cost >$400, I have to wonder how much cheaper it would have been to ship the bikes and what's in the roof box to tassie rather than drive it all there himself.

Steve, I hope you'll inflate the Corolla's tyres to the recommended max loading pressure

ian

Yep, but I'd still have to chuck it on the roof of the car and drive long distances (well, long for Tassie anyway as the house is a fair distance from the type of place where a Kennards would probably be (solid 2 hours drive from both Hobart or Launnie) even though I haven't checked yet. That's then also half a day of lost time getting it and taking it back.

I might look into that further though. There is a small yet decent hardware closeby but I'm not sure of their available range or hire-ability.

Steve.
    Steve
    I take it that you and Belle made it to Tassie without any serious drama.

would you do it – ladder and granny box on the roof and 4 bikes on the tow ball – again?

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Steve, I take it that you and Belle made it to Tassie without any serious drama.. Would you do it – ladder and granny box on the roof and 4 bikes on the tow ball – again? ian
    I'll PM you my response Ian ... no point posting anything else on this forum. Here I was thinking this was the place to get a bit of old fashioned friendly advice from others who have done it all before. Ha, what a joke !

There will be no more posts from me.

Bye,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12